Stax documentary on PBS

13»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    About '80 I saw Sam & Dave.

They were fantastic! The way they moved to the mics, changed places, and sang from the back of the stage then charged the mics. Killing it! A lot of that stuff comes from the Five Blind Boys, but I hadn't seen them yet. Unfortunatly their band was third rate. I didn't know it at the time, but Sam hated Dave (Who was a low life.) by that point and off stage they never talked.

Saw the Staples Singers a few years ago before Pops died. Mavis' sisters could no longer hit the notes and were very frail physically. So it was mostly about seeing ledgends. Mavis was good, but Pops was the highlight. His version of Why Am I Treated So Bad with the spoken Martin Luther King rememberance was transendent.

I can't think of any other Stax artists Ive seen.

Saw Otis Clay in the 90s with the Hodges and other HI poeple backing him. They did a great version of Respect Yourself.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    One of the interesting Stax stories I would like to hear more of is Booker T and Carla Thomas leaving to go to college.

Carla was at Howard U with Robert Flack, Donny Hathaway and maybe some overlap with the Mizells. Shouldn't that be a story someone should research and tell. Is Robert sitting on tapes that were made in her dorm room?

Something else that makes the Stax story unique among record company stories is you never hear artists (accept Rufus Thomas) say that Jim, Al or Astell ripped them off.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    About '80 I saw Sam & Dave.

They were fantastic! The way they moved to the mics, changed places, and sang from the back of the stage then charged the mics. Killing it! A lot of that stuff comes from the Five Blind Boys, but I hadn't seen them yet. Unfortunatly their band was third rate. I didn't know it at the time, but Sam hated Dave (Who was a low life.) by that point and off stage they never talked.

Saw the Staples Singers a few years ago before Pops died. Mavis' sisters could no longer hit the notes and were very frail physically. So it was mostly about seeing ledgends. Mavis was good, but Pops was the highlight. His version of Why Am I Treated So Bad with the spoken Martin Luther King rememberance was transendent.

I can't think of any other Stax artists Ive seen.

When I was in Memphis last year, me and my friends went to see Booker T. & the MG's at an outdoor festival (I forget who the drummer was - I don't think it was Willie Hall). Not only did the band put on a hell of a show, but we spotted Eddie Floyd in the audience! I had barely been in town a day at that point, and already I was sizing things up: okay, we're in Memphis eating BBQ down by the Mississippi River...we're watching Booker T. & the MG's play...and now here I am getting my photo taken with Eddie Floyd while asking him about that "rock" album he did with Steve Cropper producing...goddam, Iife is good! As I kept telling my friend Tom, bro, we are up IN this shit here...