Naming Your Beats

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
i have always wondered what other people do about this, do you just use numbers, give them names, etc.i usually try to name them by a feeling that i get from the beat, or a title that i think of that i like, just to give the MC that calls it some sort of direction with it.thoughts.....?

Comments

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Sometimes I'll name shit after looking around the bedroom. I was making something in my hotel room and across the street was a chinese restrant that said "we delivery" so I called it that. I have the worst time naming shit.

• i used to name them after the sample i used on it.
    so a year later i'm not flipping through 100 records trying to figure out what sample i used.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i used to name them after the sample i used on it.
    so a year later i'm not flipping through 100 records trying to figure out what sample i used.

ya this actually sounds like a good idea, ive run into it so many times not being able to figure out/ find what i sampled...

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    do that a lot... while I'm working on it, or if it's just a demo, it's named after the source, or a play on the source

then if I actually finish it, I usually rename it to fit the mood, or whatever else inspires me - sometime random shit laying around, something I was reading, a new word I liked at the time, whatever.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I name all my drum sets after women.
    I name all my bass sounds after famous people (or girls I've humped).
    I name all my user sound modules sounds to seem more outrageously ridiculous than the factory presets (i.e., "BloodbutterNutsack")

I usually title beats from lines I read in books, and the title (not to mention the content of the book) tends to influence the subject of the beat. I keep a notebook in my pocket full of prospective titles:

"The party righfully distrusts intellectuals"
    "WALLS HAVE EARS!"
    "Bavarian Syndicalist Movement"
    "Cross Out Inapplicable Alternatives"
    "Waving Idealist Hands"
    "One of the Forgotten Ones"
    "No more solitary effusions ??? No more epistolary tempests"
    "Cordonices Village"
    "Les ??quipes Sociales"
    "If You See Us Coming (But You Never Will)"
    "Waving Idealist Hands"
    "A Gust Of Inponderable Charm"