WRECKIN SHOP FROM BROOKLYN

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone got an uploaded video of this?I was just jamming "The Creator" remix 12" and it just made me think of this flickI have it at the crib piece but I am impatient. So, since I doubt anyone actually has it to upload, I will say that this tape had me stuck back in the day and totally convinced me I needed to move to NYC. I bet if Archaic had seen this shit he would think about it all differently. The dancing is absolutely out of control, and the local-scene-documentation aspect is very much needed.I have been thinking... what other documents of this era exist?

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    dUDE...

My dude has it, he finally got it by coming in contact with one of the guys out in Japan. I've posted about this over the years and no one said shit. Damn homie....this is some genesis shit for me.

HOUSER

seriously, there is very little documentented on "freestyle" whether it's video or print. A lot of that is intentional but the few things I've seen are direct bites from wrecking shop. Plus a lot of those dudes moved out of hip-hop and into house music which is where I pretty much lost contact.

And what's funny is that every bay person I met who did that style of dance pretty much either came from L.A. or had strong L.A. connections.

and speaking of footage there was a recent L.A. DVD that I saw called "bridges" or something like that. It was alright, but a lot of those dudes where kind of corny, wrecking shop copy-cats or literally on some ru-paul sa-shay shontay fingersnappin' and tail wagin' maneuvers.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

So, since I doubt anyone actually has it to upload, I will say that this tape had me stuck back in the day and totally convinced me I needed to move to NYC.

A greater influence in that department than even your sometime gym teacher?

Seriously, though, I really need to see this.

• Options

So, since I doubt anyone actually has it to upload, I will say that this tape had me stuck back in the day and totally convinced me I needed to move to NYC.

A greater influence in that department than even your sometime gym teacher?

Seriously, though, I really need to see this.

I never even heard of it, but I want one.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah I mean I have had it for a while... had a VHS transfered onto DVD a while back...

Is your dude Mikey Disco? lolololol

West Coast "HOUSER" movement not withstanding, this was also just called "hip-hop dancing" out east... it was very much a part of the culture of hip-hop as well as club culture... not nearly as contentious as on the west coast although there was beef between the b-boys and hip-hop dancers.

Yeah I mean I have had it for a while... had a VHS transfered onto DVD a while back...

Is your dude Mikey Disco? lolololol

West Coast "HOUSER" movement not withstanding, this was also just called "hip-hop dancing" out east... it was very much a part of the culture of hip-hop as well as club culture... not nearly as contentious as on the west coast although there was beef between the b-boys and hip-hop dancers.

Naw naw that dude.

Damn, I just remembered the "Ten Thieves" 12'' and that other recocrd they did...uummm...it was an indie joint with a brown and black label and they didn't go under ten thieves or mop tops.

The Mistidious Misfits I believe.

Daniel - come by one of these nights and I'll show it to you. "pause"

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Any LA heads should remember this:

Majestics.

Daniel - come by one of these nights and I'll show it to you. "pause"

those guys where down with mop tops and 'em? I had literally had 2 boxes of promos of that shit, that was a pretty weak rap record (DIANA ROSS LOOPZ!)

they're rapping is easily one of the worst parts of the tape.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I have been thinking... what other documents of this era exist?

DUDE

Nobody has spoken these words to me since I was a teenager.

I sense that obscure_addict is about to put in an appearance.

I have been thinking... what other documents of this era exist?

Are you showing us the video that your trainer is in?

I am not sure if the Hogg was being cheeky, but several serious hip-hop dancers were involved with the Grind.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I am not sure if the Hogg was being cheeky, but several serious hip-hop dancers were involved with the Grind.

I was being well cheeky.

B/W

You typed "The Grind," but I know that you subvocalized it as "The Groynd."

(Pause?)

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    ah, i only heard of this show. nothing on YT?

i actually liked that mystideous misfits track and that 10 thieves track "it don't matta"

i can just imagine a lot of dreadlocks twirling in denim fits and timberland boots.

• several serious hip-hop dancers were involved with the Grind.

"$40 a day and all the pussy you could handle"

"I have the biggest dick in this entire room."

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    so...for someone not quite in the know can somebody break this down?

Are we just talking about a bunch a dudes in Brooklyn doing the Running Man, Rodger Rabbit, Hammer dances, and the Kid 'N Play? And they got beef with the bboys? And LA kids bit they style?

BTW, I always did wonder what happened to bboyin' in the late 80's early 90's when all you saw was 'hip hop dancing' at rap concerts, clubs and videos. i'm talkin' scoob and scrap lover, ya know?! i wondered if the bboys became the hip hop dancers or if there was two coexisting styles, and bboys got no love...or what the deal?

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    damn, all this talk about 10 thieves and Mystidious make me think of Dred Scott

Woah, no that is way off.

We are talking about an entirely different dancing style. A movement, if you will.

It is the style that is seen in many hip-hop videos of the era.

B-boying died out for the same reasons all things do... the kids came up wiht something different that they dug harder and the old heads were salty. So there was some beef, for sure. But it's all hip-hop.

This is way deeper than Kid-N-Play though hommie!

damn, all this talk about 10 thieves and Mystidious make me think of Dred Scott

Now working with this dude:

Woah, no that is way off.

We are talking about an entirely different dancing style. A movement, if you will.

It is the style that is seen in many hip-hop videos of the era.

B-boying died out for the same reasons all things do... the kids came up wiht something different that they dug harder and the old heads were salty. So there was some beef, for sure. But it's all hip-hop.

This is way deeper than Kid-N-Play though hommie!

so...of course being a bit sarcastic, but do you care to break it down for me? what was the movement about? what differentiated this style from Scoob and Scrap? Are there some good rap videos that showcase it?

ETC ETC...drop some knowledge!

Yeah there was a lot more to it. I'm not a dancer so it's a bit hard for me to put into words but it's not like, choreographed moves like Scoob & Scrap or whatever. It is freestyle based and a lot of kids called it "freestyling". It is exhibited in tons of videos, Brand Nubian, Zhigge (who were all dancers themselves), LONS, Chill Rob G... I'll sort through some youtubery and see what I find.

Yeah there was a lot more to it. I'm not a dancer so it's a bit hard for me to put into words but it's not like, choreographed moves like Scoob & Scrap or whatever. It is freestyle based and a lot of kids called it "freestyling". It is exhibited in tons of videos, Brand Nubian, Zhigge (who were all dancers themselves), LONS, Chill Rob G... I'll sort through some youtubery and see what I find.

muchas gracias...i love this kind of ish...

• Yeah there was a lot more to it. I'm not a dancer so it's a bit hard for me to put into words but it's not like, choreographed moves like Scoob & Scrap or whatever. It is freestyle based and a lot of kids called it "freestyling". It is exhibited in tons of videos, Brand Nubian, Zhigge (who were all dancers themselves), LONS, Chill Rob G... I'll sort through some youtubery and see what I find.

muchas gracias...i love this kind of ish...

I know on the West, The Soul Brothers, who danced for Def Jef danced in this style. I know Def Jef performed on the Arsenio Hall Show and showcased the Soul Brothers a little. Also, the Pharcyde as well as Rass Kass were part of the scene. I really don't know too much about this scene, so I'm sure someone else can give you a more detailed description about the west.

Here are some clips from the original tape

All due respect to the old heads but this is the era of my BREAK GENESIS.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I had literally had 2 boxes of promos of that shit, that was a pretty weak rap record (DIANA ROSS LOOPZ!)

YO WTF WAS UP WITH THOSE PROMOS?! I had at least a dozen myself at one point.

This joint, right?

naw ass-lips, "WHO BE WHO BE THE MISFITS". It has like this flying angel with a microphone on the cover.