AUDIO DUDES..NEED RECORDING ADVICE

YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm trying to simply record mixes into my computer using this sound card and I'm getting a little weird feed back...It's not much kinda sounds like my turns are made of plastic...This is a long shot but any advice?

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    turn your computer speakers off. make sure you're not peaking your inputs. turn your stereo down. Sounds like you're getting feedback.
    Are you trying to plug into the 1/8" input on a throwaway soundcard, or do you have something external (Mbox, et al)?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Yeah make sure your not moinitoring the feed when you are recording the feed. Or you will have feedback. Also make sure your pc is grounded with a ground lift (those plugs that make a socket 3 to 2 prong. I think though you have the mic turned on so its doubling up on it self. Can you describe though with a little more detail of what you are recording with, what you are playing back on, and what programs?

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Im running my 05 into a m-audio soundcard and coming out that into a Behringer Eurorack mixer which I am have my monitors hooked into...I'm recording with adobe audition...Thanks for the relpies..I'm open to suggestions, or maybe I'll pull my hair out instead.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Im running my 05 into a m-audio soundcard and coming out that into a Behringer Eurorack mixer which I am have my monitors hooked into...I'm recording with adobe audition...Thanks for the relpies..I'm open to suggestions, or maybe I'll pull my hair out instead.

Man, I have pretty much the same setup and I'm having the same damn problem! By feedback do you mean you're recording what you've already recorded? Or actual humming *PASUE*? 'Cause I have a problem with the former. I gave up a couple months ago with hopes that I could find somebody who will come over and fix it for me.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Make sure the ground wire on your turntable is firmly grounded. If on a PC, see if you have windows sound properties as well as m-audio sound properties. Your windows sound properties should basically be turned off entirely and your m-audio properties should be configured as your main audio component. Next thing is to make sure your audio recording software's recording properties are aligned with your m-audio properties. You should be able to tell it to record from "m-audio input XXX" or whatever. Set your playback device to send out to another channel which should go to your mixer where your speakers are attached (i record from m-audio delta in 1/2 and playback through m-audio delta out 1/2 for main mix and 3/4 for headphone). Sounds like YNOT already got that set up right. The goal is to make sure the channel recording the audio doesn't have anything else interfering with it. M-audio in 1/2 should be the only thing selected to record from, see what i mean? If you have it set to record everything and anything (Microsoft sound mapper or some other wave manager), you could be picking up a feedback loop or something which would give you a flanging sound, I think. If you have everything configured right and you're still getting that problem, I would contact your m-audio tech support maybe, or try to go somewhere like tweekheadz.com and see if anybody there knows. GOOD LUCK.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Are you running a balanced output into an unbalanced input, or an unbalanced output into a balanced input? That would be the first thing I'd check. Certain inputs, I don't know about yours, can accept either balanced or unbalanced signals, while others may require one in particular. Make sure you're using proper cables and you know how your setup is being grounded. Draw diagrams if it helps.