Record Store Clerks that don't like MUSIC

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
A lot of record stores I frequent tend to play really horrible music, or in some cases, no music at all. The other day, I was shopping at a local spot, and the dudes' listening to fucking AM talk radio with a bad reception. When he got sick of talk radio, he throws on what I can only describe as "noise". Some record with long annoying droning tones and feedback sounds. How fucking annoying. I couldn't even pay attention to what I was looking at cuz dude had his fuckin' sine wave classics banging out the speakers like it was new year's eve. What's the deal with these fucking people? There are so many jobs you could get for $6-9/hour, why a record store if you don't even like music? GTFOHWTBS. That is all.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    A lot of record stores I frequent tend to play really horrible music, or in some cases, no music at all. The other day, I was shopping at a local spot, and the dudes' listening to fucking AM talk radio with a bad reception. When he got sick of talk radio, he throws on what I can only describe as "noise". Some record with long annoying droning tones and feedback sounds. How fucking annoying. I couldn't even pay attention to what I was looking at cuz dude had his fuckin' sine wave classics banging out the speakers like it was new year's eve. What's the deal with these fucking people? There are so many jobs you could get for $6-9/hour, why a record store if you don't even like music? GTFOHWTBS. That is all.

Melody and rhythm are but shallow insults to their avant garde intellects. They are so far past 'music' that it's only their heightened sense of irony that allows them to even show up for the job.

That or they just get bored listening to the same stuff all day.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

G- Were you at Jerrys?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This reminds me of barbers w/ fucked up haircuts talmbout - "You next".

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

oh shit! LOL

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I notice this a lot. I guess they must of listened to all of the good music in the world while working there and are now listening to the crap.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    A. It is not really fun listening to records you like while customers are bugging you and shit. It's not like you're at home reclining in an EZ chair with a resin ball and a butterfinger.

B. Playing bad music gets people to leave.

C. People who work at/own record stores also often just plain have bad taste.

• A. It is not really fun listening to records you like while customers the dudes that pay your measley salary [/b] are bugging you and shit. It's not like you're at home reclining in an EZ chair with a resin ball and a butterfinger.

Crink, I might have to declare you "unemployable".

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

He likes music....but fuck this guy. He just sucks all around.

A. It is not really fun listening to records you like while customers the dudes that pay your measley salary [/b] are bugging you and shit. It's not like you're at home reclining in an EZ chair with a resin ball and a butterfinger.

I was making $5.50 an hour, dawg. It's not like I was the owner of a record boutique or anything.

• A. It is not really fun listening to records you like while customers the dudes that pay your measley salary [/b] are bugging you and shit. It's not like you're at home reclining in an EZ chair with a resin ball and a butterfinger.

I was making $5.50 an hour, dawg. It's not like I was the owner of a record boutique or anything.

I know man...and obviously you know I'm teasin...but wouldn't said employee want the store to be successful regardless (so maybe at the very least the store thrives so he can keep said gig) and also, you're still getting to listen to music of your choosing at work, which is cool.

I'm not down w/ record clerk attitude. Not too much of it on display at the spots I go around here but I've seen it and it can be funny.

One caveat: getting people to leave when it's closing time IS a good thing.

Yeah, I know. It becomes extremely easy to fall into the role of record store asshole clerk when you're dealing with 10 billion idiot college kids every single day though. I did however have to deal with a guy who was like the definition of this recently and it was way more sad then funny. Dude was probably my age too.

B/W

sine wave classics

I have this.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    While I was working at Penny Lane we had a guy in a central office operating as a music buyer for all the stores. The guy doing it though proudly wore his ignorance abot new music, which i always thought made him the most unqualified person to have this job. watching the store chain dwindle from 6 stores to one shows just how smart it was to have this ignorant fucker in charge.

PS dudes favorite artist was Richard Marx

• sine wave classics

lmao.
    I know they play this shit just to piss customers off and see who can really hang.
    I always have to stifle my laughter when i walk in to a store and theres some greasy bespectacled dude behind the counter cranking up the Stockhausen.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

G- Were you at Jerrys?

Haha, no, but some of those dudes play some funny (read: terrible) stuff too. Although, Jerry will throw on some good jazz jamz every now and again. I was actually in waxtrax. When people I knew used to work there, this was never a problem.

A. It is not really fun listening to records you like while customers are bugging you and shit. It's not like you're at home reclining in an EZ chair with a resin ball and a butterfinger.

Well, for one, there's rarely more than 2 or 3 people in the store, and even more rarely are any of them asking for help from the counter dude. The guy didn't seem to mind much that anybody was in the store quietly shopping. I think he was just into that shit. Which brings about your third point, bad taste, which is what I usually chalk it up to.

Black and Read in Arvada is notorious for playing horrible dark vampire folk yodeling and other related steaming hot garbage.

And in a record store with at least 100,000 things to listen to (of which maybe 2k-3k are probably worth listening to, admittedly), running out of good music (or at least actual music) is no excuse! Bust out the Metallica raer or the Japanese jazz box or something!

• Becky here! Reporting for doody!

I would take some sine wave classics any day over what I have to listen to when I'm shopping at the Gap!!

Have any of you be aurally assaulted at a Gap lately? I tried to figure out who was responsible for the indie-rock mtv-ish crud, and all I came up with was there was some sorta collabo with itunes, which makes sense.

Any Muzac professionals here? Who is responsibpe for the hipster / indie aural molesting that goes on at Gaps these days? Just curious.

So, I'd rather listen to a car alarm than the Gap muzac.

If you're complaining about buddyholly glasses sinewave muzac, consider yourself lucky.

You all don't know what I have to suffer when I'm tryna find some tank tops and preppy shorts!

Love,
    Bex 3

Becky here! Reporting for doody!

I would take some sine wave classics any day over what I have to listen to when I'm shopping at the Gap!!

I don't shop for music at Gap.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    In my experience, the record stores manned by an
    old dude listening to AM talk radio are more likely
    to put out with the rare records than the one staffed
    by a kid that is playing the same music you like,
    probably calling you a "douche" on Soul Strut while
    you are shopping in his store, and who has all the
    good and semi-good records underneath the counter in a
    paper bag with his name on it, never to be sold to you.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    When I worked in a shop my tastes got pretty narrow - it's like you're in there all day so you tend to get a bit obscure. But you gotta keep people happy too, so I don't ride for his sinewave classics at all.

One time I was in a shop and the guy yanks the needle of the old rock song that was playing and says - "You wanna hear the worst song in the world?" and preceeds to crank the volume on what was indeed the worst song in the world. My girl was with me at the time and couldn't believe just how wierd the whole situation was. Still, the guy only likes rock so I usually get some decent stuff for very little $$$ there.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I know they play this shit just to piss customers off and see who can really hang.
    I always have to stifle my laughter when i walk in to a store and theres some greasy bespectacled dude behind the counter cranking up the Stockhausen.

I AM THAT SHIT. ONE TIME SOME KIDS TOLD ME THAT RYUICHI SAKAMOTOS DISCORD WOULD BE GOOD MUSIC TO GET SMACKED TO.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    I was in a spot in my town that everyone knows to avoid - seriously don't know how dude is still in business, anyway, there's this local talkback radio shit playing and this segment comes on where they get a record dealer in the studio and people can call in and ask how much their common turds are worth. So the dealer on the radio, is the dude sitting behind the counter. Dude got asked onetime several years earlier to go into this radio show and then sits and plays a tape recording of the segment over his store speakers ad infinitum.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Genius

In my experience, the record stores manned by an
    old dude listening to AM talk radio are more likely
    to put out with the rare records than the one staffed
    by a kid that is playing the same music you like,
    probably calling you a "douche" on Soul Strut while
    you are shopping in his store, and who has all the
    good and semi-good records underneath the counter in a
    paper bag with his name on it, never to be sold to you.

Well the surprising part was the kid was most definitely younger than me in this particular experience. I don't even think I would have thought twice if it was some old guy that looks like he probably has heard everything under the sun and might just want to hear some talk radio for a while... I think it was the talk radio transitioning into "noise" "music" that really got me.

You know, when I walk into a used record store and they ARE playing something I am into, I do get a little worried for the exact reasons you mention. Luckily, it doesn't happen much around here.