harry potter madness

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've rebooted like 3 times but this warning wont go away.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

The read more spot is not a hyperlink!

But seriously folks, a bit of opinion page on "the Potter." I have had to grade aptitude tests in English writing last winter, and NONE of the high school students who chose Harry Potter books got a "talented tenth" score. Why? Because there is no depth in the books, and the purported depth (the most recent movie and its take on fascism) is so mind numbingly simplistic as to be relatively useless as a parable. Kids can regurgitate all day, but they are consistently unable to interpret or translate info or data into conclusions and solutions to problems. It's nice kids are reading, but it'd be great if they could point to all 50 states or Iraq correctly on a map, take a graph and interpret data stated on it for themselves, or realize a "research paper" shouldn't rely solely on the internet.

• Riding for harry potter!

Riding for harry potter!

Aren't you from Connecticut?

• Riding for harry potter!

No sucker i'm FROM the Bronx, NY...

Riding for harry potter!

No sucker i'm FROM the Bronx, NY.. I live in CT cause I make shitloads of money.

i just recall u repping brigdeport or somethin'. where in the bronx?

• But seriously folks, a bit of opinion page on "the Potter." I have had to grade aptitude tests in English writing last winter, and NONE of the high school students who chose Harry Potter books got a "talented tenth" score. Why? Because there is no depth in the books, and the purported depth (the most recent movie and its take on fascism) is so mind numbingly simplistic as to be relatively useless as a parable. Kids can regurgitate all day, but they are consistently unable to interpret or translate info or data into conclusions and solutions to problems. It's nice kids are reading, but it'd be great if they could point to all 50 states or Iraq correctly on a map.

The fact that kids can't name the states or find Iraq on a world map has nothing to do with Harry Potter. You learn -or don't learn- geography in a different class entirely. I agree, however, that high school students that haven't moved beyond Harry Potter aren't reading at their proper level.

The reading comprehension problem is also not Harry Potter's fault. Not reading anything else would be the problem...

• I did'nt say I lived in the Bronx, you asked where i'm from.. not where i'm at.

Please be more specific!

I did'nt say I lived in the Bronx, you asked where i'm from.. not where i'm at.

Please be more specific!

Sorry, I've only read 85% of Harry Potter literature.

• I did'nt say I lived in the Bronx, you asked where i'm from.. not where i'm at.

Please be more specific!

Sorry, I've only read 85% of Harry Potter literature.

Oooooooooohhh so clever... your wit is unmatchable.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I don't teach Harry Potter- I offer Harry Potter with audiobooks for independent reading. It's a book the kids choose to read- that's the whole point of independent reading. But I could use it to teach many things: character, setting, plot, foreshadowing, context clues etc etc. It's not bad writing. Have you hatteurs actually read the books? I used to hatt too, and then I read the first book and I was hooked.

It's not a lifestyle, it's just a book I enjoy. I'll be done in three days and on the next book. Chill out.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I'll have you know that I've personally matched about 85% of Batmon's wit.

I still say the hype is more than "Reading".

• Oooooooooohhh so clever... your wit is unmatchable.

OK! see NOZ got jokes... don't take ANYTHING I say seriously cause half the time i'm doing stuff just cause I know how riled up ya guys get.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    OK! see NOZ got jokes... don't take ANYTHING I say seriously cause half the time i'm doing stuff just cause I know how riled up ya guys get.

You Fairfield County boys are so sassy!

IMG SRC=http://www.connquest.com/ct/counties/fairfield/fairfield/fairfieldcounty.gif>

Only 50% of the time?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

thats stupid

• Oooooooooohhh so clever... your wit is unmatchable.

Only 50% of the time?

Yeah son, only half.. my main goal upon posting in this thread was to put an end to the potter propaganda. Now that being said it's taken over by the hate you all have towards me.

Job very well done... owned!

Now that being said it's taken over by the hate you all have towards me.

• Now that being said it's taken over by the hate you all have towards me.

Umm, are you also bitter & jealous that I make six figures a year and can now afford to live in a nice house in the most wealthy state in our country?? Don't take it out on me just

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    So, we just went through Harvard Square.

Harry and The Potters were singing rock songs about the books for about 5,000 people of all races, all ages, in various costumes.

At one point, he yelled, 'It's just a few hours now...Are you ready to read!!!' and the crowd went bananas. The crowd knew the words, dances, etc.

Shit is crazy.

Lines down the blocks at all the bookstores.

I'll be honest; I read the first 3 books, and moved along. But, hell yeah- anything that can generate this much positive energy and enthusiasm for reading is fine by me. Enjoy, kids...Hope your boy makes it through.

Yea - but those people all choose to live in Boston. Doesn't it make sense that they'd be in Harvard Square singing songs by a Harry Potter tribute band?

Dude, most were kids. And, the band was teenagers...It was the most positive, non-hattable event i've ever seen. Step the fuck back with the hatt here.

Hahaha...I'm sorry I'm sorry. I spent the 4 years of college in Boston and grew a large animosity towards the city. Fucks with Cambridge though....sorta just like to raise a stink. I just saw a lot of shit there that irked the fuck out of me - that though, my friends, is another thread.

Umm, are you also bitter & jealous that I make six figures a year and can now afford to live in a nice house in the most wealthy state in our country?? Don't take it out on me just

Just 6 figures? Even my butler makes more than that.

• Just 6 figures? Even my butler makes more than that.

You also suffer from an identity crisis... as much as you wanna be, you'll never be batman.. get familiar with who YOU ARE... I got moves to make while you stay online all day, but you can and most likely will post again.... keep hating I know it's your forte.

You also suffer from an identity crisis...

Only %85 of the time.

don't take ANYTHING I say seriously cause half the time i'm doing stuff just cause I know how riled up ya guys get.

Where in the Bronx are u "from"?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    man, I read this thread and all this hate and shit. OVER A KIDS BOOK.

ya'll are dorks.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    So, we just went through Harvard Square.

Harry and The Potters were singing rock songs about the books for about 5,000 people of all races, all ages, in various costumes.

At one point, he yelled, 'It's just a few hours now...Are you ready to read!!!' and the crowd went bananas. The crowd knew the words, dances, etc.

Shit is crazy.

Lines down the blocks at all the bookstores.

I'll be honest; I read the first 3 books, and moved along. But, hell yeah- anything that can generate this much positive energy and enthusiasm for reading is fine by me. Enjoy, kids...Hope your boy makes it through.

Yea - but those people all choose to live in Boston. Doesn't it make sense that they'd be in Harvard Square singing songs by a Harry Potter tribute band?

Dude, most were kids. And, the band was teenagers...It was the most positive, non-hattable event i've ever seen. Step the fuck back with the hatt here.

Hahaha...I'm sorry I'm sorry. I spent the 4 years of college in Boston and grew a large animosity towards the city. Fucks with Cambridge though....sorta just like to raise a stink. I just saw a lot of shit there that irked the fuck out of me - that though, my friends, is another thread.

Don't feel bad. You're animosity toward Boston is dwarfed by the animosity the citizens of Boston feel toward the college kids and tourists that invade our city.

ya'll are dorks.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Obscure Addict[/b]

=[/b]

???????????????[/b]

I got nothing but love for the Danza.