harry potter madness

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    buh. buh, but Faux said it was lame...and he is the authority of all pink casual wear, literature AND hip hop

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    harry potter dies and hermione becomes the next "harry" of the wizarding world. best book out of the 7 for me. all hormones and sex! at least harry got to beat it out a few times with chinese cho before being offed by snape.

Damn if that's true Jinx you're a cold motherfucker! haha

too cold, too cold

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    you guys seriously,..... harry potter is amazing.

If you are walking around telling kids that its trash, why would they ever have any interest in reading "the good stuff"?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Fuck it[/b] , I read all the time, all sorts of shit[/b] and I love this shit[/b].

so yeah, I think Harry is good shit[/b].

I'm a reading teacher

[/quotebr />haha
    I'm a pecial d teacher, gimme a break. Sheeeeet.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What a bunch of pompous pseudo-intellectual assholes! Fuck you and your I only read great literature bullshit.

I'm actually pretty much on your side in this
    "argument" - but do you really have to keep calling
    people assholes and so on? It kind of cheapens your
    position when you come into a discussion cursing
    everyone out and acting like a douche.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    What a bunch of pompous pseudo-intellectual assholes! Fuck you and your I only read great literature bullshit.

"ASS-HURT-TUTIS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I'm actually pretty much on your side in this
    "argument" - but do you really have to keep calling
    people assholes and so on? It kind of cheapens your
    position when you come into a discussion cursing
    everyone out and acting like a douche.

Well excuse me! I had no idea that soulstrutters were so sensitve about the use of asshole. Please change all asshole references to douche.

Feel better now?

"ASS-HURT-TUTIS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You pompous pseudo-intellectual douche.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    So, we just went through Harvard Square.

Harry and The Potters were singing rock songs about the books for about 5,000 people of all races, all ages, in various costumes.

At one point, he yelled, 'It's just a few hours now...Are you ready to read!!!' and the crowd went bananas. The crowd knew the words, dances, etc.

Shit is crazy.

Lines down the blocks at all the bookstores.

I'll be honest; I read the first 3 books, and moved along. But, hell yeah- anything that can generate this much positive energy and enthusiasm for reading is fine by me. Enjoy, kids...Hope your boy makes it through.

Yea - but those people all choose to live in Boston. Doesn't it make sense that they'd be in Harvard Square singing songs by a Harry Potter tribute band?

Yea - but those people all choose to live in Boston. Doesn't it make sense that they'd be in Harvard Square singing songs by a Harry Potter tribute band?

TEPID

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Non-Retarded adults reading Hairy Potter = Escapism to the nth degree.

• I disagree. Children's literature has been pretty great since the 1880's.

Harry Potter is annoying. The books are nothing special in children's literature and the movies are just BAD!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Children's literature is much better today than when we were kids.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    More than anything the Harry Potter phenomenon just makes me sad for the state of reading in our culture.

I was recommended this by an acquaintance who hasn't done much reading outside of The Da Vinci Code and 5 People you meet in Heaven. His preference for music is Thievery Corporation.

Not fronting on the Harry Potter phenomenon, but I understand what B-Mon and Faux Rillz is saying.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    So, we just went through Harvard Square.

Harry and The Potters were singing rock songs about the books for about 5,000 people of all races, all ages, in various costumes.

At one point, he yelled, 'It's just a few hours now...Are you ready to read!!!' and the crowd went bananas. The crowd knew the words, dances, etc.

Shit is crazy.

Lines down the blocks at all the bookstores.

I'll be honest; I read the first 3 books, and moved along. But, hell yeah- anything that can generate this much positive energy and enthusiasm for reading is fine by me. Enjoy, kids...Hope your boy makes it through.

Dude, most were kids. And, the band was teenagers...It was the most positive, non-hattable event i've ever seen. Step the fuck back with the hatt here.

• I can't believe this harry potter thread on SOULSTRUT has 77 posts...

This series of books = trash, kids might as well be reading magazines or comics.

If you want to encourage reading stick with some of the classics that are actually "educational" not some hocuspocus sci-fi rag.

This series of books = trash, kids might as well be reading magazines or comics.

If you want to encourage reading stick with some of the classics that are actually "educational" not some hocuspocus sci-fi rag.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan but the above position is ridiculous. Reading educates in many different ways, and children enjoying these books are certainly learning some of the things that reading can teach. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with the fantasy/sci-fi genre that isn't also wrong with mainstream literature --yeah, most of it is shit but then so are most books. But what's really tiresome is the notion that reading is merely a means of educating oneself. It's an enjoyable and interesting pursuit in its own right, just like listening to music or looking at paintings. Rest assured that many great writers have had little interest in educating their readers, if they were even considering readers at all.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Harry Potter tribute band[/b]

Mp3 plaese

I'm not a Harry Potter fan but the above position is ridiculous. Reading educates in many different ways, and children enjoying these books are certainly learning some of the things that reading can teach. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with the fantasy/sci-fi genre that isn't also wrong with mainstream literature --yeah, most of it is shit but then so are most books. But what's really tiresome is the notion that reading is merely a means of educating oneself. It's an enjoyable and interesting pursuit in its own right, just like listening to music or looking at paintings. Rest assured that many great writers have had little interest in educating their readers, if they were even considering readers at all.

This series is pretty much worthless... I stand by my statement... This book "teaches" nothing and if your a teacher using this book to teach your simply a fool.

Yes it will encourage kids to read, but all i'm saying is if your using this book for anything other than entertainment your doing it all wrong.

Furthermore kids should be outside playing during the day and interacting with other kids to gain some social skills for the future. Not sitting in a room reading harry potter for 24 hours straight.

If the folks with Scholastic are riding for this book it can't be that bad, but i'd never use it to promote anything except entertainment leisure reading.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Reading educates in many different ways, and children enjoying these books are certainly learning some of the things that reading can teach. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with the fantasy/sci-fi genre that isn't also wrong with mainstream literature --yeah, most of it is shit but then so are most books. But what's really tiresome is the notion that reading is merely a means of educating oneself. It's an enjoyable and interesting pursuit in its own right, just like listening to music or looking at paintings. Rest assured that many great writers have had little interest in educating their readers, if they were even considering readers at all.

His preference for music is Thievery Corporation.

This series is pretty much worthless... I stand by my statement... This book "teaches" nothing and if your a teacher using this book to teach your simply a fool.

Yes it will encourage kids to read, but all i'm saying is if your using this book for anything other than entertainment your doing it all wrong.

Furthermore kids should be outside playing during the day and interacting with other kids to gain some social skills for the future. Not sitting in a room reading harry potter for 24 hours straight.

If the folks with Scholastic are riding for this book it can't be that bad, but i'd never use it to promote anything except entertainment leisure reading.

Any elementary school teacher will tell you that getting a child to enjoy reading is the hard part. Whatever works, works. Some kids will go on to lives of serious reading while others -most of them, if current adult reading habits are any indication- will stick to what you're calling "entertainment leisure reading".

Also, a good teacher can use virtually any text to teach reading and other skills.

I note that none of your teachers, who were using books presumably better than Harry Potter, succeeded in teaching you that "your" does not mean "you are".

• I save my proper grammer and sentence structure for websites that actually matter when I want to appear intelligent by my keystrokes.

AIGHTY! but thanks anyway for attempting to school me on my usage of your.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

my wife is an elementary school teacher and while she doesnt use this book she does have multiple copies of each book on the reading shelves. shes the only esl teacher in her school and since most of these kids have seen the movie they love these books because they know how to get through them. its pretty nice to see kids who are learning the language be involved in a book. they ask about the meanings of words and really get an understanding of what she tells them due to the images they have seen in the movies.

while i also agree that kids should be outside running around and socializing, there is nothing at all wrong about reading. its better than the kids watching tv, playing video games, staring at the computer, etc all day. not quite sure what you were getting on about with that statement.

really, you can hate the series all you want for your own reasons, but at least kids are interested in reading nowadays. theyre learning words and creating images and places in their minds. i dont think theres anything wrong with that.

...or are you just scared of wizards?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I can't believe this harry potter thread on SOULSTRUT has 77 posts...

THIS is the definition of ass-hurt..and you mad doggie...

Y'all are funny, The Potter hatters, trying to act like you are some literary authorities and people of refined tastes. Shit, I have to take a grain of salt with most of y'alls opinions on records and music...

I think one should take the "serious" literary opinions on this board as about as serious as the most of y'all's fashion advice...

• The only wizards I ride for are

p.s. I LOVE talking shit on here, kids get so defensive...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I can't believe this harry potter thread on SOULSTRUT has 77 posts...

THIS is the definition of ass-hurt..and you mad doggie...

Y'all are funny, The Potter hatters, trying to act like you are some literary authorities and people of refined tastes. Shit, I have to take a grain of salt with most of y'alls opinions on records and music...

I think one should take the "serious" literary opinions on this board as about as serious as the most of y'all's fashion advice...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I'm a reader, but I tried to read the first book several times and could not get into it.

p.s. I LOVE talking shit on here, kids get so defensive...

Calling you out for acting like a tool
    is not the same as being defensive.

Teaches? Are you crazy? It's July! Get a grip! School is out! There are no teachers telling kids to read Harry Potter. No one is calling it high litature.

Since you think kids reading Harry Potter is worthless because it does not fit you discription of litature, let's see what percentage of your reading is litature.

How many minutes a day do you spend reading literature that is worthwhile? 60?

How many minutes do you spend reading the newspaper? 45?

How many minutes do you spend reading magazines? 15?

How many minutes do you spend reading the web? 180? 240?

How many minutes do you spend reading manuals, reports, memos... 120?

How many minutes do you spend reading emails? 60?

Looks to me like you waste a lot of time doing worthless reading when you should be outside gaining some social skills.

That you know nothing about children, reading or education is proven by your statement "If the folks with Scholastic are riding for this book it can't be that bad". The folks at Scholastic ride for some of the worse stuff ever printed.

The endless stream of pompous pseudo-intellectual douches on this site is mind boggling.

pompous pseudo-intellectual douches

much better