harry potter madness

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
So, we just went through Harvard Square.Harry and The Potters were singing rock songs about the books for about 5,000 people of all races, all ages, in various costumes.At one point, he yelled, 'It's just a few hours now...Are you ready to read!!!' and the crowd went bananas. The crowd knew the words, dances, etc.Shit is crazy.Lines down the blocks at all the bookstores.I'll be honest; I read the first 3 books, and moved along. But, hell yeah- anything that can generate this much positive energy and enthusiasm for reading is fine by me. Enjoy, kids...Hope your boy makes it through.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I have been waiting for this day for TOO long, best believe I will be at the local Barnes & Noble in a few hours.

This weekend I'm checking into an air-conditioned hotel room with no internet access and my cellphone off, reading the final chapter of the saga in peace.

Sadly, I feel Harry won't make it through.

(We all know Hermione's the real champ, though.)

*********PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NO SPOILERS!!!**********************

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    My copy arrives from Amazon tomorrow! I can't wait!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have been waiting for this day for TOO long, best believe I will be at the local Barnes & Noble in a few hours.

This weekend I'm checking into an air-conditioned hotel room with no internet access and my cellphone off, reading the final chapter of the saga in peace.

Sadly, I feel Harry won't make it through.

(We all know Hermione's the real champ, though.)

*********PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NO SPOILERS!!!**********************

I'm looking forward to reading it. I might utilizes the library or wait and borrow someone's copy.

This is my guess on how it ends. No spoiler, just speculation.

I doubt Harry dies. I think Harry lives. The question raised by the Saga is which is greater, love or hate. I think Harry brings the love (Ginny teaches him to love) and kills Voldemort with his love. Harry's pure love is what kept Voldemort from killing him when he was a kid.

Nothing but rainbows and bluebirds at the end of the story and the last word is LOVE.

My copy arrives from Amazon tomorrow! I can't wait!

Same here. It's gonna be soooo hard not to buy a copy tonight. If I do, I won't sleep and I have to work at 8am!

My prediction:

SNAPE IS GOOD.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hahaha, are you serious dude?

hahaha, are you serious dude?

T-T-Totally dude.

My swamp cooler won't allow me to to read comfortably, and the internet is too tempting. Plus I'm worried somebody's gonna fuck it up for me*. It all depends if I can find a decent spot (with a decent pool) for under $40. 'Bout to holler at Priceline!

*There's a local pizza spot in town that puts little witty phrases and factoids on their marquee every day. A couple years ago they put a little false spoiler on there and caught a little flack from passers-by. They explained that it was just a joke and when they finish the book they'll understand.

Well, they did the same thing when Book 6 came out EXCEPT THEIR FALSE SPOILER WAS INADVERTENTLY CORRECT. They caught a whole lotta shit and even earned themselves a little boycott action.

I'll be passing there on my way to and from the bookstore tonight. I wonder what they'll do...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I hope y'all love it. like i said, the outpouring of positivity relating to a book is just about the freshest blast of air that's ever blown this way.

enjoy; herm, don't take no shit. get that hotel room, the pool, and dig on that pulp.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    yeah, I was wondering if I need to boycott the internet for a few day, cuz if Harry dies, it'll be out there, right????? FUUUUUUCKKKK. I may have to hibernate.

But I have to go work Monday. FUCK.

yeah, I was wondering if I need to boycott the internet for a few day, cuz if Harry dies, it'll be out there, right????? FUUUUUUCKKKK. I may have to hibernate.

But I have to go work Monday. FUCK.

700+ pages in a day and a half? WE CAN DO IT, ANNA!!!

KitchenKnight:

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm even taking a booty break (actually, I prefer "p***y pause") this weekend. Just me and my wand all weekend!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just me and my wand all weekend!
    Magic

• covecove 1,566 Posts

• I think Harry Potter is crap. The movies and the books suck. Lame stories and characters. Seriously, Harry Potter is retarded. What does he stand for? A braindead Jesus with a magic wand?

Even as a kid, I would have hated Harry Potter. I can't believe that so many people overhype it. Go and donate the money you would spend on the books and movies, please. Or buy a real book. Something that you can learn from.

• I think Harry Potter is crap. The movies and the books suck. Lame stories and characters. Seriously, Harry Potter is retarded. What does he stand for? A braindead Jesus with a magic wand?

Even as a kid, I would have hated Harry Potter. I can't believe that so many people overhype it. Go and donate the money you would spend on the books and movies, please. Or buy a real book. Something that you can learn from.

i'm in a bad bad mood. i have to pass yet another test at my university for no good reason. so i'm sitting at my desk, reading textbooks in order to attend a course next semester.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Haha, Grope The Grump. Always mad at the world.

Dogs, the biggest story going this morning is a freakin' book! what is there to hate?

kids are begging their parents to stay up late to read.

ARE YOU READY TO READ! AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    you have all been brainwashed

mp3 literature

• HamHam 872 Posts
    my little brother just stormed into the livingroom after reading a couple of pages and pointed to the book and said "oh my fucking gooood" and then went back into his room.

my little brother just stormed into the livnroom after reading a couple of pages and pointed to the book and said "oh my fucking gooood" and then went back into his room.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I left it sitting on my kitchen counter this morning, my girl got it at midnight last night... she reads faster then me anyway

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This whole thing reminds me of this:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, I've never read any of the books but seeing people going off for A BOOK (and for reading in general) is SUCH a good look it's amazing.

• Harry Potter is a little bitch, he's got nothing on the Hardy Boys.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im not mad at the Franchise but damn we got another new Cult to deal w/.

Star Wars
    Star Trek.....

Harry Potter

Dudes are gonna be teaching the Ideas Of HP @ colleges across America in a minute.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I was watching BBC News International last night. They went to a bookstore in downtown London where the reporter said about 5,000 people were in line to buy the book last night. They interviewed the first person to get the book. It was a teenage girl who stood in line for 58 hours and came all the way from Holland to get the book! Insanity. But like has already been said, it's all about reading so I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    But like has already been said, it's all about reading so I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

But it's all about reading what? I personally also like the fact that people hype a book, but it is just this one (series). We need more hype about books. Or records. When was the last time people waited like this outside to get a record? 97, times square, puffy?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im gonna be the asshole here......

Its not really about reading. Its the entire EXP. The comradery w/ other heads. The Cult of Personality.
    Just becasue its reading, which has significant merit, can u really place the writing style into the "canon of standards" that people NEED to cop. If its as simple as "At least their reading" then Penhouse Forum is cool.

Cats wanna be a part of something. The Book is the vehicle. As much as Comic Books has fueled my view of the world, I'm not gonna try and place its literary benefits next to some "real"shit. Dont get me wrong theyre great stories in Comics/Scifi/Fantasy, all that shit.

Feel free to shoot me down. I just dont feel like the madness/hype is generated by the need/want to read.

Cats lining up for a limited musical release or something of the like, most likely transcends the music.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Feel free to shoot me down. I just dont feel like the madness/hype is generated by the need/want to read.

I don't think it is either. I think you're pretty much dead on with all that. But it IS reading a book, and especially in 2007 I do feel there's a tremendous significance in that fact.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The number of people reading in America is taking a nose dive right now. Reading Harry Potter probably opens up reading other kinds of fantasy/sci books as well. While not "classics" who cares? Reading books is good IMO.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Its not really about reading. Its the entire EXP. The comradery w/ other heads. The Cult of Personality.
    Just becasue its reading, which has significant merit, can u really place the writing style into the "canon of standards" that people NEED to cop. If its as simple as "At least their reading" then Penhouse Forum is cool.

I'm going to go further and say that I don't see much merit in merely reading for the sake of reading, unless it's helping someone achieve a basic level of literacy, which I don't think is generally the case here.

I am not at all confident that the Harry Potter franchise acts as a gateway to more important books--at least not for adults.

By contrast, I give major props to Oprah, who not only gets people reading, but gets them reading good books.

More than anything the Harry Potter phenomenon just makes me sad for the state of reading in our culture.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I'm going to go further and say that I don't see much merit in merely reading for the sake of reading, unless it's helping someone achieve a basic level of literacy, which I don't think is generally the case here.

I am not at all confident that the Harry Potter franchise acts as a gateway to more important books--at least not for adults.

By contrast, I give major props to Oprah, who not only gets people reading, but gets them reading good books.

More than anything the Harry Potter phenomenon just makes me sad for the state of reading in our culture.

This is way too long to bother reading. Could you summarize? Perhaps craft a short answer in rebus form?