Ebay proposition shady?

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
This is for those who are well versed in ebay... I have an acquaintence, actually, a cousins boyfriend, who wants me to let him use my ebay account to sell items.The situation is he is a regional salesman, and as such, he ends up with alot of repos after people cant pay for the items. His contract states that he can sell these back to his distributor for a much less than the actual cost. He wants to sell them on ebay so he can get full, or close to full price for the items. The problem is, his contract states that he can't do this, because it is stepping on the toes of other salesman in other places. He tried to sell on ebay before, and got reprimanded when they found out. So, now he wants to pay me $100 a motnth to use my ebay account, and my paypal. Since its under my name, it cant be traced back to him.This all sounds a bit shady to me, though I understand where he's coming from, and I dont think he is trying to con me. Even if he just wants to resell his shit on the downlow, it still seems like it could get messy... I figure I could get in trouble for taxes or something too, who knows what else.He claims there would be a paper trail back to him, since we would both have our bank accounts under my paypal. He said his lawyer told him this would be a fine way to do this.Any opinions on this situation?Is this even legal to do on ebay?Someone help me out.Peace...FNM

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    You sound honor roll

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I would admin the sales and charge a percentage of sales plus fees. That is the only way.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    a) I wouldn't do it.

b) If I did, I would want more money. Percentage.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

WHy doesn't he set up an account under your cousin's name?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    How much $$ are we talking here? If you take in a significant amount of money here and send it his way, you are putting yourself in a dangerous spot if either one of you ever gets audited, though it seems much more risky for him than it does for you.

I still wouldn't do it. Remember, this is your cousin's boyfriend. Not family (yet) and how well do you really know this dude? If he wants to get his hustle on, let him figure out his own way to do it.

• WHy doesn't he set up an account under your cousin's name?

Ok... the guy lives in a different state than me. He said that his supervisor or whatever knows my cousins name... and that he checks ebay by the region. So, that would be a giveaway.

• How much $$ are we talking here? If you take in a significant amount of money here and send it his way, you are putting yourself in a dangerous spot if either one of you ever gets audited, though it seems much more risky for him than it does for you.

He wants to pay me $100 a month. The thing is, I wouldnt be sending anything his way. He wants to share my paypal.

He's already got the password to it. He already gave me $100 over a month ago, but has yet to list any items on ebay. He got ahold of me earlier this week, and says hes got a bunch of stuff ready to list, but I have to verify something on my paypal account, so he can deal with the fees, etc.

He wants to add his bank account to the paypal account too, so that he can pay the fees, and also get the money put into his account. I figured it'd be ok since I rarely keep money in paypal if I make a transaction.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    for $100 a month you are considering going through this hassle despite your better judgement and intuition?

there are many other ways to make an additional $100 a month.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    He sounds Nigerian

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    1.) $$$ disputes = quickest way to create family problems.

2.) he is obviously shady, so you know if shit comes down he will try to dump as much of it on you as possible.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    If you share a PayPal account, would he not be able to make purchases from your bank account? You want to give a shady dude the keys to your bank account/credit cards? It appears that you already have if he has your password. I'd change your password and cut out of this (before he changes your password and goes on a spending spree).

$100/month = $25/week = not worth this hassle.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    If you share a PayPal account, would he not be able to make purchases from your bank account? You want to give a shady dude the keys to your bank account/credit cards? It appears that you already have if he has your password. I'd change your password and cut out of this (before he changes your password and goes on a spending spree).

$100/month = $25/week = not worth this hassle.

you could probably find $25/month in the street, if you walk around looking down.

• Yeah, I am just too nice of a guy sometimes...

I'm gonna talk to him tonight and tell him I'm not comfortable with it. I really don't think he'd try to screw me, and he seems well aware of how shady the whole thing looks, but either way, it's another headache I don't wanna deal with.

Thanks for the input...

Peace...
    FNM

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Yeah, I am just too nice of a guy sometimes...