Ending an auction early ... Etiquette?

catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I think i spelled etiquette wrong, but anyways....I put up some new auctions last night and this morning I had a very nice offer from someone to end one auction early if they pay me right away through paypal.The bidder has perfect feedback so I ended the auction and am awaiting payment. I have never ended auctions early , do any of you have experience doing this and do you think it has an effect on how bidders look at your trust/reliability as a seller?the item had no bids and was only about 14 hours old...

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i dont know if it lets you end early if someone has already placed a bid.

you snooze you lose.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Yeah I don't think anybody's gonna frown on you for that. Anybody in a similar position would probably take the offer if it suits them. These items are yours until somebody pays you and you mail them out, so it's not like you're cheating anybody.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i was about to ask this same question...there has to be a way to end an auction...help!

• You go to site map and under seller resources click END MY LISTING, it gives you four reasons why your ending it. Check off the item is no longer for sale. If you have bids on the item you'd have to cancel bids first otherwise ending it would give the buyer the item at the starting price he bid. Personally I would not end it only cause it's not fair to everyone else who might wanna shot at winning it.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    i was about to ask this same question...there has to be a way to end an auction...help!

From ebay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/endlist-now.html

You can end the auction even if there are bids on it... the only time you cannot is if there are less than 12 hours remaining and there is a high bidder/bidder that has met the reserve.

Personally I would not end it only cause it's not fair to everyone else who might wanna shot winning it.

they had a shot and slept on it. ebay rewards men of action.

Personally I would not end it only cause it's not fair to everyone else who might wanna shot winning it.

and, to a lesser degree, women and even children of action.

If there was a bid on the item i probably would not have ended the item early but I was presented with "an offer I couldn't refuse" as they say in various films.

• The few times (4-5 times) I've been offered to $$ to end an auction earlier, the ending bid has always been higher than the early offer.

Yea i have been in that same situation, but this time it made way more sense to end it early because it is doubtful the ending bid would have surpassed the number i was offered and also I get to avoid the final value fees imposed by ebay.

i know...it's a gamble. but in this case for me, it's a record that cost me next to nothing, i'm being offered $250 for it, and it only has one bid and one person watching it. and i could use the money sooner than later. i told the person to paypal me then i'll end it. that way if it's a fake, it stays up.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    end it early if you want to end it early, its your merchandise, but I wouldnt end it until I got payment..tell the person who wants you to end it early, that it wont come down until you see the money, because relisting after you have ended it is more than likely gonna result in lowers bids the second time around because people might not give a shit about your auction if they think it might end again...

ok, so i already got paid and ended the item early, easy enough.

when they pull a chargeback, keep your records and you can be one of my class reps.

say wha?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    What I've done in the past is just change my item to a "buy it now" for the amount offered.

not a bad idea...so what, dude who bought it from me and try to get money back? this guy seems legit, has perfect feedback.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    What I've done in the past is just change my item to a "buy it now" for the amount offered.

I was just asked to do this a few hours ago. but ehhhh, I dont know.

Also, a few days ago I received a message with the classic line: "my father would really enjoy this record, blah blah blah". When I wrote back and asked why he would enjoy the record, I got nothing.
    people, cut that shit out.

of course now that i ended the auction somebody else offered me $400...how shady would it be to refund the $250 and take the $400

• of course now that i ended the auction somebody else offered me $400...how shady would it be to refund the $250 and take the $400

SHADY! not to mention utter nonsense since you already told someone it's a deal and they have paid you.

yeah, it's true, damn. but it's all outside of ebay so it's all shady anyway right

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This is exactly why you should never end your auctions early

Take the 250 and walk.

lesson learned. oh well, its $249 profit instead of $399

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    yeah, it's true, damn. but it's all outside of ebay so it's all shady anyway right

Note to self: do not bid on crazypoprock's auctions.

Kidding... but seriosuly, once you commit to an offer, considering other offers is where NAGL begins.

On an unrelated note, my fiance's daughter gave me attitude the other day and I responded with "V... this is really not a good look."

of course now that i ended the auction somebody else offered me $400...how shady would it be to refund the $250 and take the $400

judging by the smiley face I would say you are joking when you say this right?

I got luckier with mine because the initial offer was $400 and I'm happy.

i was kidding but wishing i could somehow get $400 instead of $240 but oh well. i have ethics i promise.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Surriously. Take a step back and think logically here: If a dude goes out of his way to send you an offer on the record to end early, he is OBVIOUSLY lowballing and is thinking that the record might go for more than what he's offering you. He also is clearly sweating the record real hard, and will put up a major bid on it. There really isn't much sense in it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I never really solicit people to end auctions early,
    but I don't think you can always assume that it will
    end for more than what is being offered ... of course,
    I would assume more often than not that IS the case, but
    if I were to make an offer I would probably make it in
    the range that I think it would end for, maybe even a
    few bucks more to try to sweeten the pot. As a seller,
    I usually have an idea of what I would ideally get for
    an item - if somebody offers in that area, I might consider
    it.

Surriously. Take a step back and think logically here: If a dude goes out of his way to send you an offer on the record to end early, he is OBVIOUSLY lowballing and is thinking that the record might go for more than what he's offering you. He also is clearly sweating the record real hard, and will put up a major bid on it. There really isn't much sense in it.

Well considering the last copy of the record I was selling went for 300 USD and the dude offers me 400 , I am content saying yes to that. If he had offered me 300 I probably would have said no based on the fact that it doesn't show up at all so it could go slightly higher or equal to 3.

Also the guy who offered the cash to me had very reputable feedback rating so I was n't worried in that respect.

Something about instant money that feels so right.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i never end an item early. i always tell the person with the offer that for better or worse, i prefer not to end the item early--and i tell them i hope they understand and are cool with that, because i would like to have them bid if they are up for it.

one guy just gave me a story today how he has been looking for a record in such nice condition that it doesn't come often and that he needed this record for the cover to frame in his garage (a hotrodderrackord).

now i ask, why would anyone care what condition the lp is in if they are just going to frame the cover anyways? someone may have their reasons, but i call bs on that.

and the one time i made major $$$ was when i was offered 5k for 2 records by someone about a day before end of auction with close to 100 watchers--it was certainly tempting to end early, but i couldn't. people would have been pissed with that many watchers. and then i got over 10,400 for the both of them--- a 5,400 dollar difference!

it pays to wait usually.