Ending an auction early ... Etiquette?

2»

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i never end an item early. i always tell the person with the offer that for better or worse, i prefer not to end the item early--and i tell them i hope they understand and are cool with that, because i would like to have them bid if they are up for it.

one guy just gave me a story today how he has been looking for a record in such nice condition that it doesn't come often and that he needed this record for the cover to frame in his garage (a hotrodderrackord).

now i ask, why would anyone care what condition the lp is in if they are just going to frame the cover anyways? someone may have their reasons, but i call bs on that.

and the one time i made major $$$ was when i was offered 5k for 2 records by someone about a day before end of auction with close to 100 watchers--it was certainly tempting to end early, but i couldn't. people would have been pissed with that many watchers. and then i got over 10,400 for the both of them--- a 5,400 dollar difference!

it pays to wait usually.

What on earth records were you selling?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    raer blues 78s. old weekend digs from january 07.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

that is a bit more than this thread is talking about.. wow that is serious coin. In that situation I would absolutely not end the auction , 100 watchers.. you know that is money in the bank right there! Good on you for holding your ground. Time for me to pay attention to 78s now.. DAMN!

However, I did just get the Numark Pt-01 so I can play 78s, something my Technics cannot do..

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Figures.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    of course now that i ended the auction somebody else offered me $400...how shady would it be to refund the $250 and take the $400

Did you have some expectation of what you were going to get for it up front?
    popsike.. gemm.. ebay.. google search?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    This is exactly why you should never end your auctions early

Surriously. Take a step back and think logically here: If a dude goes out of his way to send you an offer on the record to end early, he is OBVIOUSLY lowballing and is thinking that the record might go for more than what he's offering you. He also is clearly sweating the record real hard, and will put up a major bid on it. There really isn't much sense in it.

This is not necessarily true. Actually, in my experience, the lowball scenerio has been less common than bidders just wanting to get the record ASAP for a gig next week, or making a reasonable offer for buying quantity (like 5-10+ items) where maybe they are getting a deal from their perspective, but it works to my advantage too in that it's less work for me and maybe they are throwing in some items that had already gone unsold once or twice at the current asking price. I tend to resell a lot of the same records so I know that, say, "Jam On It" isn't exactly gonna skyrocket to $30. It's an $8-12 record on ebay, period, so if someone wants to arrange a legit $20 "buy-it-now" for it and he/she has good feedback and all of that, I'm gonna do it. I agree, though, that with higher ticket items, it's generally not worth the risk, even if the offer turns out to have been better than the winning bid, which has happened to me plenty.

Coincidentally, I just got an offer on about ten low level (i.e. common, $6-$15 range) rap 12"s in my inbox this morning. The buyer hasn't named his price, but it could be worth my while.