Australian nightclubs just got screwed...

2»

Comments

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    Bevan my man, I totally understand where your coming from, but as a DJ myself here in Aust, I don't think it's as all fuked up as you make it out to be..

yes it is hard work - real hard work to maintain in the industry down here, and from time to time I have needed a day job just to help keep afloat - But several times (including right now) DJing has been my only source of income - and I'm doing alright - and not sacrificing my musical interests in order to make a dollar (although admittedly I play a few more musical styles which I know you don't play)..

Gotta remember that you were working in Brisbane, and it's real hard up there to get good paid work - You found your niche and ran with it, which actually makes you one of the more successfully DJ's out of that city.

anyway - onto the topic at hand..

I don't think this new hike in prices is going to change much down here..
    yes, it's kinda fuked that artists will probably not see a cent more (it's more than likely going to end up in the coffers of the major labels)..

but as far as the 'going out experience' is concerned for general punters - all it means is there will be a slight rise in door price to get into venues (and most mo'fukers get in for free anyway)..

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    whats up sh****n, word, I guess if I was living in Syd or Melbs things might be different, I was mainly talking about Brisbane, cuz when I came home, I got gigs in Syd/Mel and ADL, but no one in brisbane barked... I think that cities on the way out with DJing... house music and d&b pretty much rules there and nothing else be it funk, hip-hop, etc. makes much noise??

peace.

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts
    I guess if I was living in Syd or Melbs things might be different, I was mainly talking about Brisbane, cuz when I came home, I got gigs in Syd/Mel and ADL, but no one in brisbane barked... I think that cities on the way out with DJing... house music and d&b pretty much rules there and nothing else be it funk, hip-hop, etc. makes much noise??

Your kind of right - I'm not going to delude myself - It is f#cking hard to get gigs no matter where you are in this country - infact it's the worst I've seen things in years!
    I just feel mighty lucky that I have a few weekly gigs to get by with - None of which pay what I think they should be paying..

the whole scene is in transition mode right now. There are a billion little DJ punks all under cutting each other - and all playing that new "electro" crap off Microwave (none of them buy records on the regular). Even House music DJ's are finding it hard to get work in Sydney nowdays - It just isn't as cool as it once was..

wierd but..

Fortunately, in Sydney right now, the whole original funk / soul / disco vibe is actually having a tiny renaissance here right now - nothing ultra big - but a few new crews and DJ's running there own little jams (Swat DJ's), a few cool venues that push the sound (Tonic, Melt, Claire), and a promoter that isn't scared to throw a few dollars into touring international artists (Niche) - all that combined keeps me a little more sane and throws a few more dollars on the table..

I have faith the whole thing will come back around - Music is in a real un-funky space right now.. That's why this whole fake "electro" thing is so huge, and the whole superficial psuedo punk 80's fashion thing is big..
    It will come back around as it always does - it's just going to take a few more years this time..

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    No doubt. The pendulum always has to backswing, and I think the current tsubi/cardigan/greasy fringe/electro thing going on here has reached its saturation point. The only way to go is down (thank god) so I think you'll see people wanting some "human" sounds again. Something with soul.

though.
    Brisbane is VERY limited, and genre specific. There are very few owners/managers/promoters who are interested in music, and plenty that are only interested in money - which I guess you can't be mad at, but it means its either the pop charts or the dance charts that are getting played, and not a lot else.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    Brisbane is VERY limited, and genre specific.

There's this new online only fairfax newspaper deal, the Brisbane Times, which has this guy

Doing a column on lifestyle and entertainment or something..

I was doing the morbid curiosity thing and reading a column/blog/spiel/whatever about "does the valley have a soul?"

I think dude's picture alone pretty much sums shit up. What can I say? I was born in this town and I love and hate it in equal amounts.

EDIT: This is almost graemlinworthy.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts

oh dear

EDIT: This is almost graemlinworthy.

• jbarkerjbarker 71 Posts
    It seems a fair bit worse in Bris than it is here in Melbourne.
    And even though they are in Melbourne too, I think the Vice electro tsubi cardigan kids are more of a Sydney thing. I just always associate Melbourne more with the Tote crowd :realmelbourneheadsknowthedeal:
    The latest thing to have a resurrection here are the warehouse gigs.

B.Y.O., smoking inside, cheap or free and good new bands play.
    Probably the 2 best new bands in Melbourne still play warehouses, Eddy Current Suppression Ring and The Crayon Fields (oh, and Geoff, the C.F. frontman's new band, Sly Hats are killer too).
    Irene's, Cloud City and Alberts Basement all have stuff fairly regularly.

But I think that Melbs will always be fairly healthy, because if places like Brisbane/perth/adelaide get worse, then presumably bands/djs will come here.

I'm not sure how Mugen is going financially through DJing, but he's prolific and fucking nuts too. Bamboos are always playing around the traps.

I dunno, I'm only a consumer, but I think things are ok in Melbourne.