Stanton SA-12 Mixer--Opinions?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
I'm thinking of picking up the SA-12 'cause I like the idea of built-in effects. I currently have the Stanton SA-5 and it's rock solid. Anyone have the SA-12? How are the effects? I'd mainly like to use the delay/echo and hook up my Kaoss pad. The effects are assignable per channel, correct?Thanks.

Comments

• really stanton makes "rock solid" mixers?

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Why do you need the mixer's effects if you've got the kaos?? Just curious...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Why do you need the mixer's effects if you've got the kaos?? Just curious...

Because you can assign them to each channel of the mixer, unlike with my current setup, where the effects get assigned to everything (both channels).

• Because you can assign them to each channel of the mixer, unlike with my current setup, where the effects get assigned to everything (both channels).

sounds like you just need a mixer with an EFX loop, with that you can put a pre-fader effect on either channel or post-fader on both. the only thing you can't do is do a diffrent effect on each channel at the same time, but i don't know if you ever will need to do that.

i don't know how much you want to spend but i can't say enough good things about rane mixers, i rock a 54i and spend alot of time on a 56 at my main gig, both of them have EFX loops and are ROCK SOLID.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    you just need a mixer with an EFX loop, with that you can put a pre-fader effect on either channel

If you plan on using any effects while scratching, DO NOT get a pre-fader effect. You cut off the effect everytime you close the fader - i.e. you kill the delay if you don't leave the fader open at all times.

The SA-12 is a great mixer. I've been demoing it at work this week, and it's solid. The effects are tight, the little crossfader transform switches are insane, but the effects are PRE-FADER!!! Totally sucks if you are trying to get a lot of delays going on, and you cut out the effect just by habit of closing the fader. If you only scratch with the transformer switch, your golden. And if the effects aren't doing it for you, you can switch it out for a 3 band filter/eq.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I dunno I have not had good experiences with Stanton Mixers... Crossfaders always seem to break, as in the knob snaps off... The Pioneer 909 is a pretty sick mxer... more loot yeh, but its fader is really smooth and overall a pretty rock solid mixer.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I forsee king most coping a new mixer or a effects box soon.

I forsee king most coping a gently used SA-5 mixer from Ross Hogg[/b] soon.

• Ross, go with the Rane man.

Solid mixer, good sound, durable, post fader effects loops and great for cutting. You will be set for a while and can buy gadgets to hook up to it as you go along.

Ross, go with the Rane man.

Solid mixer, good sound, durable, post fader effects loops and great for cutting. You will be set for a while and can buy gadgets to hook up to it as you go along.

But I can get the Stanton for $500 less.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Dumb reason.
    Invest in your future.
    You can crossfade in Coke, for god's sake!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Dumb reason.
    Invest in your future.

You can snort coke off the crossfader? Fuck, I've been sleeping on the true capabilities of my equipment!

OK, seriously, I cannot recommend the Rane 56 strongly enough, Ross. Bambouche is right--the Stanton may be cheaper in the short-term, but in the long run, the Rane is going to be so much nicer to you. And with that effects send/return, you can do all sorts of audio trickery.

Dumb reason.
    Invest in your future.

You can snort coke off the crossfader? Fuck, I've been sleeping on the true capabilities of my equipment!

OK, seriously, I cannot recommend the Rane 56 strongly enough, Ross. Bambouche is right--the Stanton may be cheaper in the short-term, but in the long run, the Rane is going to be so much nicer to you. And with that effects send/return, you can do all sorts of audio trickery.

Oh, I know full well the truth of the Rane 56. It's just that an offer was made to me to pick up an SA-12, and I was intrigued.

For what it's worth, I really, really love the SA-5. I just wish it had effects send and return so that I could justify spending even more money on the Pioneer EFX-500.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I could justify spending even more money on the Pioneer EFX-500.

Well, if you're that keen on buying an EFX-500, you could buy one and give it to me.

Which leads to the obvious question: Does Ross Hogg have a piggy bank. Har! Get it? Hogg...piggy. Yeah. I'll stick a cork in my jokehole now.

I'll stick a cork in my jokehole now.

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2). Those Pioneer boxes are DOPE! I've been permanently "borrowing" one and it's excellent for mixtapes and shieeeeeeeeeeet.

Does Ross Hogg have a piggy bank.

P.S. It's called N*ta's purse.

Dude. You're getting married.
    REGISTER AT TURNTABLELAB.

FUCK A TOASTER!
    GET YOUR RANE ON!
    MATCHING HIS AND HERS FOR THAT CHRISTMAS CARD!

Dude. You're getting married.
    REGISTER AT TURNTABLELAB.

FUCK A TOASTER!
    GET YOUR RANE ON!
    MATCHING HIS AND HERS FOR THAT CHRISTMAS CARD!

ARE YOU ALL READING THIS?

WELL, ARE YOU?

PS The mixer we're actually registered for:

Black and White MIXWELL Tuxedo affair.

Black and White MIXWELL Tuxedo affair.

At The Reception After NetaHogg Nuptials:[/b]

DJ For Hire: [plays song]
    Great Aunt from Texas: "I love this song!"
    Great Aunt from Azores: "Me too!"
    DJ Attending Wedding#1: "He brought that in a little too loud."
    DJ Attending Wedding#2: "Yea, and I would have waited 4 bars."
    DJ Attending Wedding#3: "I usually don't play these two back-to-back, too predictable."
    DJ Attending Wedding#4: "Yea, but soemtiems that comoon stuff needs to be togeffer."
    DJ Attending Wedding#5: "Is this 'modern soul' or just 'r'n'b'?"
    DJ Attending Wedding#6: "Man fuck you it's all music you fuck... ... Sorry. I haven't eaten yet."
    DJ Attending Wedding#7: "I sold dude this record!"
    DJ Attending Wedding#8: "Word." [obviously zooted]

(Feel free to guess which bay area strutter is which "DJ Attending Wedding")

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts

At The Reception After NetaHogg Nuptials:[/b]

DJ For Hire: [plays song]

Great Aunt from Texas: "I love this song!"

Great Aunt from Azores: "Me too!"

DJ Attending Wedding#1: "He brought that in a little too loud."

DJ Attending Wedding#2: "Yea, and I would have waited 4 bars."

DJ Attending Wedding#3: "I usually don't play these two back-to-back, too predictable."

DJ Attending Wedding#4: "Yea, but soemtiems that comoon stuff needs to be togeffer."

DJ Attending Wedding#5: "Is this 'modern soul' or just 'r'n'b'?"

DJ Attending Wedding#6: "Man fuck you it's all music you fuck... ... Sorry. I haven't eaten yet."

DJ Attending Wedding#7: "I sold dude this record!"

DJ Attending Wedding#8: "Word." [obviously zooted]

(Feel free to guess which bay area strutter is which "DJ Attending Wedding")

DJ BLAQWEST[/b]: [plays song]

AINT BETTY, YALL[/b]: "I love this sawng!"

TIA ROSA[/b]: "Eu tamb??m!"

PEACEFULROTATION[/b]: "He brought that in a little too loud."

NETA[/b]: "Yea, and I would have waited 4 bars."

HOGG[/b]: "I usually don't play these two back-to-back, too predictable."

(ha ha!!!)YOUNG PHONICS[/b]: "Yea, but soemtiems that comoon stuff needs to be togeffer."

????[/b]: "Is this 'modern soul' or just 'r'n'b'?"

JINX74[/b]: "Man fuck you it's all music you fuck... ... Sorry. I haven't eaten yet."

COOL CHR*S[/b]: "I sold dude this record!"

????[/b]: "Word." [obviously zooted]

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    why i always gotta be the angry one eric? and felicia for knowing.... *ahem* ....assuming that was me?

you two suck...

why i always gotta be the angry one eric? and felicia for knowing.... *ahem* ....assuming that was me?

you two suck...

you talking to me, bitch?

(and for the record, i had chris in the "obviously zooted" and josh in the "i sold dude that record" roles. you are still my frisco main squeeze though, angry modern soul purist or not.)

(and for the record, i had chris in the "obviously zooted" and josh in the "i sold dude that record" roles. you are still my frisco main squeeze though, angry modern soul purist or not.)

then who'd you have for "he brought that in a little too loud"?

now that i think about it, J**h wouldn't comment. he'd just wince a little... and then continue feeding El**s fork-fulls of our vegetarian option.

• now that i think about it, J**h wouldn't comment. he'd just wince a little... and then continue feeding El**s fork-fulls of our vegetarian option.

on point

then who'd you have for "he brought that in a little too loud"?

now that i think about it, J**h wouldn't comment. he'd just wince a little... and then continue feeding El**s fork-fulls of our vegetarian option.

Do you really want me to put you on blast for secretly including people in my list of attendees who aren't on your list of attendee?

!DJWeddingGuestListDramaRaer!

Do you really want me to put you on blast for secretly including people in my list of attendees who aren't on your list of attendee?

ooh, uh-ah.

ooh, uh-ah.

The best way to remedy this situation, you ask?

First dance = "Ain't No Fun If The Homies Can't Have None"
    (with choreography by DJ KingMost)

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I feel better now.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I feel better now.

Wait til you see feel the lapdance Justin, Josh, Patrick, Archaic, jdeez, Cool Chris, ODub, and I have planned for you, playa!

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE WHOLE WEIGHT!

(page me)