Cleaning records questions

2»

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Why can't this be mentioned. It works, but not on petrified records.

Hey,

I like the stuff, but I'm always careful about putting chemicals on my records. If I was a dealer, I'd keep a case of it in the back of the shop. Gives records a nice luster, kinda like armor all. Makes tired old wax look like new.

It claims to make a fresh piece[mint] of wax sound better than its original state. Tried it, but my ears can't hear that far.

I heard a deeper low end. It also really kills static & surface noise. It does do something for the sound, as I imagine it helps the needle go along smoother. I keep my records clean, though, & have an anti static gun & that seems to do the trick. LAST is another popular spray/treatment. I trust that a little more than gruvglide only cause its made by some chemists. Its still chemicals, tho, & it makes me nervous, too. I remember AP denouncing all these products in one thread.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Not sure how you scrub it unless you have to scrub it and then turn it upside down and put it on the machine (seems messy?).

That's how it works. I don't find in messy & like how the suction comes from below. VPI is great & the best choice for dealers who clean hundreds of records at a time. For the standard collectro, nitty gritty is good for the price, but only the entry level models are really good buys, like the KAB. Once you hit 500 bucks for the nitty gritty, you may as well buy a VPI. I've tried loricraft, keith monks, VPI, clearaudio. They're all pretty cool.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Hey,

I like the stuff, but I'm always careful about putting chemicals on my records. If I was a dealer, I'd keep a case of it in the back of the shop. Gives records a nice luster, kinda like armor all. Makes tired old wax look like new.

It claims to make a fresh piece[mint] of wax sound better than its original state. Tried it, but my ears can't hear that far.

I heard a deeper low end. It also really kills static & surface noise. It does do something for the sound, as I imagine it helps the needle go along smoother. I keep my records clean, though, & have an anti static gun & that seems to do the trick. LAST is another popular spray/treatment. I trust that a little more than gruvglide only cause its made by some chemists. Its still chemicals, tho, & it makes me nervous, too. I remember AP denouncing all these products in one thread.

Now we are going to go in to that whole other place that these threads go (!)

I have read about LAST how it actually chemically bonds to the grooves and makes them harden so that they don't wear out.. which seems kind of bad if the record wasn't absolutely perfectly clean then you would be bonding the dirty places too.
    I don't know, I decided to stop reading about that stuff. I do like to clean my records and sometimes I use gruv glide if it is something I will play a lot but I try not to get to in to it.

RE: Keith Monk Cleaner. I would love to see one of these work. From what I understand it plays the record from start to finishing and a little thread is being pushed in the grooves and cleaning them out as they go? I had a guy who worked at a hi-fi shop in the 80s tell me it would make records sound better that had already been cleaned on another machine.

But, I don't have a good enough system nor ears to hear the difference in any of this other than VPI'ing will give some improvement in sound to a dirty record. I can't hear a difference in a record that looks clean that has been VPI'ed or had gruv glide applied.

I'd like to see someone do some waveform analysis before and after cleaning and gruv glide. Seems that would put the whole issue to rest right there either it would or would not have a definite effect on the sound.