Cleaning records questions

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I recently started cleaning the dirtiest records in my collection and have run across some issues that you guys might have answers to.1. Do you always run a rinse of distilled water after a cleaning, even if, say, you're just doing a few cleanings w/ alcohol/detergent/distilled water mix?2. How beneficial have you found cleaning with scrubbing bubbles b/w how long do you usually let it sit before a post rinse?3. Does anyone have a good around the house solution to cleaning surface lint off of a record (i.e. the little fibers and hairs that sit on top of the record after a good cleaning)?Thanks in advance! I swear to god, I will contribute something to this board one day (although as I type that, I know it is a lie).

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I recently started cleaning the dirtiest records in my collection and have run across some issues that you guys might have answers to.

1. Do you always run a rinse of distilled water after a cleaning, even if, say, you're just doing a few cleanings w/ alcohol/detergent/distilled water mix?

2. How beneficial have you found cleaning with scrubbing bubbles b/w how long do you usually let it sit before a post rinse?

3. Does anyone have a good around the house solution to cleaning surface lint off of a record (i.e. the little fibers and hairs that sit on top of the record after a good cleaning)?

Thanks in advance! I swear to god, I will contribute something to this board one day (although as I type that, I know it is a lie).

1. Do not use detergent.

2. Only use scrubbing bubbles on otherwise hopeless records--as in those with petrified barbecue sauce on them...

3. You can buy brushes that pull that stuff off without using a liquid.

4. Buy a VPI machine if you like records

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    hey lambert!

just want to know what solution are you using to clean your records? just water with alcohol? or something else?

just like to know cuz i'm kinda going thru the same process here with my records.

cheers

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    YOU NEED SUCTION.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    what?

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    I usually just use windex and paper towels...No complaints or negative effects, works great!

I usually just use windex and paper towels...No complaints or negative effects, works great!

AHHHHHH!!!!

Jesus christ you guys. every time this thread comes up people are all like "I just throw some 409 on them." It is your collections that come into my shop with milky film in the dead wax from your "cleaning" techniques. I have to VPI every single one of them bitches.

You guys spend countless thousands of dollars on records, or at the very least have collections worth thousands of dollars. Spend $500 on a cleaning machine and some distilled water. That is all it takes. Simple.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    windex isn't too strong for vinyl ?

thought its got detergent substances which is a no no

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    windex isn't too strong for vinyl ?

thought its got detergent substances which is a no no

Nah, been using it for years...havn't had any problems, just avoid getting it on the label...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Spend $500 on a cleaning machine and some distilled water. That is all it takes.
    I know this question have been asked at least 10
    different times in the span of a year, but where could the average consumer buy a VPI?

Mike if you do an internet search you can find dealers that are close to you. If all else fails, call VPI. Generally you'll have to have it shipped, but since it's heavy you'll want to find a place somewhat near you rather than, say, California.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i read somewhere that you can use detergents because the pvc that records are made out of is virtually indestructible from common cleaning chemicals, and was basically what they used to make the bottles out of that heald such chemicals?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i read somewhere that you can use detergents because the pvc that records are made out of is virtually indestructible from common cleaning chemicals, and was basically what they used to make the bottles out of that heald such chemicals?

You shouldn't need detergents. Records just don't get that dirty 99% of the time. But go ahead and use it if it makes you feel better.

And why do you give a fuck? You got that lego sonic machine thing you made.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Mike if you do an internet search you can find dealers that are close to you. If all else fails, call VPI. Generally you'll have to have it shipped, but since it's heavy you'll want to find a place somewhat near you rather than, say, California.

I just got the KAB EV-1 and am pretty happy with it. Cheaper solution with the same technique. Hooks right up to my vaccum cleaner and i am good to go. Just wanted to throw an alternative out there.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

You shouldn't need detergents. Records just don't get that dirty 99% of the time. But go ahead and use it if it makes you feel better.

And why do you give a fuck? You got that lego sonic machine thing you made.

i use like a half cup of Formula 409. The sonic thing works great except for last track or two. It concentrates the sonic wave in the middle of the tank, so the tracks closest to the surface dont expereince the same awesome power of the sonic kaboom. I can't really figure out how to overcome this problem, other than to just run them for like an hour, but even that doesnt do it completely.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Jonny has a spaz attack every time this is mentioned, but if you have very dirty or moldy records (I'm talking caked with filth) just put them under the faucet in you sink. The water pressure will actually wash the dirt off of the record and down the drain as opposed to just rubbing it around on the record with a dirty rag. I'm not saying this is better than a VPI, but it does work in a pinch and will not hurt anything.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Anyone know what's better. Nitty Gritty or VPI? I don't know a much about record cleaners but I need to buy one soon and I have to know my options.

I prefer the VPI as I've seen stuff come off the Nitty Gritty a lot less clean than I would like... however, the Nitty Gritty is lot cheaper.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I just got the KAB EV-1 and am pretty happy with it. Cheaper solution with the same technique. Hooks right up to my vaccum cleaner and i am good to go. Just wanted to throw an alternative out there.

I've been promoting the KAB for a few years & even got some strutters to buy em. The single best buy for cleaning lps that you can possibly find. Really, for a person on a budget who wants the best results without being gimmicky, this is it. I've tried everything & nothing works like this for the price. Nothing. Think of VPI results for about 150 bucks.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I prefer the VPI as I've seen stuff come off the Nitty Gritty a lot less clean than I would like... however, the Nitty Gritty is lot cheaper.

There are Nitty Gritty's that push 500-600 bucks. I like the nitty gritty design better cause you've got gravity assisting the cleaning process. The only thing is, the nitty gritty vaccum motor is suspect. The suction ain't always there.

Yeah I have seen stuff come out cloudy. The motor on the VPI is good. The new one looks

Your cleaner is cool, I am just not down for all the manual labor and hooking up your vacuum and all that shit. But for $150 that's a good option.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Why can't this be mentioned. It works, but not on petrified records.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Man try 50/50 mix of distilled water & rubbing alcohol. Use a lent/static free fabric clothe to clean the vinyl. I'm too damn busy for all that hooking up devices to vacuums.
    Mr_Burns, Gruv Glide great stuff but weak at times.

50/50 mix of distilled water & rubbing alcohol

All you really need is 80/20.

My Lps are really dirty when I get them from people!!!!
    What works good on mold dust embedded in the grooves?????

Suction.

More alcohol isn't going to make your records cleaner - it'll just dry them out and make them more brittle.

Suction.

More alcohol isn't going to make your records cleaner - it'll just dry them out and make them more brittle.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Hey,

I like the stuff, but I'm always careful about putting chemicals on my records. If I was a dealer, I'd keep a case of it in the back of the shop. Gives records a nice luster, kinda like armor all. Makes tired old wax look like new.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Hey,

I like the stuff, but I'm always careful about putting chemicals on my records. If I was a dealer, I'd keep a case of it in the back of the shop. Gives records a nice luster, kinda like armor all. Makes tired old wax look like new.

It claims to make a fresh piece[mint] of wax sound better than its original state. Tried it, but my ears can't hear that far.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Hey,

That is mostly what windex or gruv glide or 409 will do.. make them look shiny, but if you really want to remove particles from the grooves you have to have some fluid, a good brush like a mobile fidelity or disc doctor brush, and you really need some suction too. Gruv glide isn't even supposed to be used to clean records - it's for putting on clean records to decrease friction and improve record life/needle life. I don't know if it really works but that's what it's meant to do.

I think JP has a good point, if you would buy a record for $100+ why not get a VPI (try EBAY) for $300-$400? The best part about using a machine is NO drying time. You can clean both sides of a record in 60 seconds and be playing it.

VPI motors seem indestructible. The guy at VPI told me you could submerge one in water and it would still keep running. That's why I say ebay is an OK option it's not a big difference in a new one or one that's been used for a while. I haven't used a nitty gritty and until I do I can't figure how it works.. it's like the wet side of the record is on bottom?? Not sure how you scrub it unless you have to scrub it and then turn it upside down and put it on the machine (seems messy?).