Let’s list the best astrology-themed songs/albums

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
The best ones that come to mind are:The Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds - Paul Beaver/Mort GarsonSoul Zodiac - Nat Adderley QuintetStones - Emil Richards Scorpio - Dennis CoffeyTaurus - Dennis CoffeyAquarius - uh, damn, "Hair" kinda blew this one wide open. So, what are the best versions of it though?

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    that Blowfly LP
    Sun Ra catalogue

errrrrrrrrrrrrr... Spacemen, the Levi's ad...

thread is kinda

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    "I'm gettin' more iller than the zodiac killer."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Soul Zodiac - Cannonball Adderley

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The best ones that come to mind are:

The Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds - Paul Beaver/Mort Garson
    Soul Zodiac - Nat Adderley Quintet
    Stones - Emil Richards
    Scorpio - Dennis Coffey
    Taurus - Dennis Coffey
    Aquarius - uh, damn, "Hair" kinda blew this one wide open. So, what are the best versions of it though?

I like the Gary McFarland one. Also that live high school thing off of School House Funk. There is a soul vocal group lp where they are shouting out everyones sign... Frank Cunimondo Sagitarius.

• Anything on Capricorn records...

The group Sagittarius...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Aquarius Dub

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The best ones that come to mind are:

The Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds - Paul Beaver/Mort Garson
    Stones - Emil Richards
    Scorpio - Dennis Coffey
    Taurus - Dennis Coffey
    Aquarius - uh, damn, "Hair" kinda blew this one wide open. So, what are the best versions of it though?

I like the Gary McFarland one. Also that live high school thing off of School House Funk. There is a soul vocal group lp where they are shouting out everyones sign... Frank Cunimondo Sagitarius.
    There is a soul vocal group lp where they are shouting out everyones sign... I think I know what song your talking about. That's the jam!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Mary Lou Williams- The Zodiac Suite
    maybe the earliest musical use? 1940s....

• oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts

I found this one at Arons for like 5 bucks, because it was missing the first disc (and the sleeve was all water eaten)... am i missing a lot without it?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    The Byrds - Mr. Spaceman

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Yes, you are missing half of a really good album and a presentable cover. AND I am the true Yoda around here, sir.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    I remember the first time I heard my old man's Floaters LP I must've been 13 or so, but this line cracked me up: "Cancer and my name is Larry, huh. And I like a woman that loves everything and everybody. And you know what ladies, if you feel that this is you, then this is what I want you to do...Float float on...."

I remember the first time I heard my old man's Floaters LP I must've been 13 or so, but this line cracked me up: "Cancer and my name is Larry, huh. And I like a woman that loves everything and everybody. And you know what ladies, if you feel that this is you, then this is what I want you to do...Float float on...."

That's the one.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    No love for Harvey Sid Fisher's Astrology Songs??

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

I found this one at Arons for like 5 bucks, because it was missing the first disc (and the sleeve was all water eaten)... am i missing a lot without it?

Yeah, I prefer the first disc to the second disc. They were asking $5 for it in that condition with only one record???!! Damn. I just copped this [i.e. both records] in near perfect shape over the weekend for a buck. It was the reason started the thread, actually.

Oh! That "Astrology Rap" from like 1980 is pretty great too if you can handle the campiness.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

That's the one.
    Man I feel old.
    Didn't anyone at least see the ad for this:

Why do so most people list this as a Cannonball record? Doesn't the cover say "Cannonball Adderley Presents The Nat Adderley..."? Every time I've listed this someone asks if it is the Cannonball record.

Dan

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Aquarius Dub

Zodiac Dub.... come on K. My scanner is 11x8, help us out.

this doesn't seem to work.

OK, here he is:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Damn, I wish I didn't have to jet for the radio station, this thread is my SHIT!

I fully hoard songs/LP's with Zodiac themes.

Young-Holt Unlimited have a 45 called "Horoscope" on Brunswick that is dope, calls out the signs.

Roy Ayers, "It Ain't Your Sign It's Your Mind" from "You Send Me"

There's a song on the "Uptown Down South" Excello/Abet comp cd by Shirley Brown called "Even if the Signs are Wrong" that is awesome, although that may be someone else's song, I'm thinking Motown??

But best of all, my absolute favorite zodiac tune is this gem, "Planets of Life" by The Whispers...it's funky, spacy and sweet all at once...dude kicks the FACTS on the signs:

If you see it, cop it ASAP.

Roy Ayers, "It Ain't Your Sign It's Your Mind" from "Everybody Loves The Sunshine"[/b]

And while we're at it, Virgo Vibes by Roy Ayres

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Roy Ayers, "It Ain't Your Sign It's Your Mind" from "Everybody Loves The Sunshine"[/b]

ummmm:

Track List:

You Send Me

I Wanna Touch You Baby

Can???t You See Me?

Get On Up, Get On Down

Everytime I See You

Rhythm

And Don???t You Say No

It Ain???t Your Sign, It???s Your Mind

Is it on both? I just played the "You Send Me " version the other day...I have "Sunshine" but have to dig it out and I'm already supposed to be in my car...

ummmm:

Track List:

You Send Me

I Wanna Touch You Baby

Can???t You See Me?

Get On Up, Get On Down

Everytime I See You

Rhythm

And Don???t You Say No

It Ain???t Your Sign, It???s Your Mind

Is it on both? I just played the "You Send Me " version the other day...I have "Sunshine" but have to dig it out and I'm already supposed to be in my car...

It may well be, been a while since I listened to "You Send Me", but I trust ya...
    sorry to get all "Star trek" on you!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

Ace of Bass- Zodiac Sign

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I like the Gary McFarland one.

Definetely has some nice moments.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

I likes this too,... and also the 2nd one: Love Sex and the Zodiac...

Nat and Cannonball RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Francois De Roubaix & Elizabeth Tessier - Astralement Votre 7'

A soundtrack for a 70s TV show about astrology..

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Sign Of The Zodiac series on A&M (late 60's), each LP dedicated to one sign (12 albums in all), containing spoken word narration over spacey electronic music by Mort Garson, kool stuff !!!

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Edwin Birdsong-Whats Your Sign? (dance of survival lp)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I likes this too,... and also the 2nd one: Love Sex and the Zodiac...

Nat and Cannonball RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yes they do.

i had this amazing cassette tape of cannonball live in italy in the early 60's and i lost it on a roadtrip. i've never found an lp copy since. so sad.

there's also Sagittarius Black by Timothy McNealy