teaching-food-strut

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
ive mentioned before that i teach nutrition to high school students.cooking meals is a big part of the job. during the summers, my youthworkers, the Food Ed Squad (aka the FEdS) does nutrition outreach at local community centers, camps, womens shelters, wherever. About to make our summer outreach menu and was checking if the strut had any good ideas poppin.general guidelines are Think A.H.E.A.D.= Affordable,Healthy,EasytoMake,Accessible ingredients,Deliciousthe idea is to teach things where the recipe will have a good chance of getting into people's homes.we could use some new snack ideas,too

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    5 stars, homie.

we've chopped it up in the past about food and it's good to know you're all action and not just talk. It's a shame even in America eating right is a luxury and privledge.

I wish I knew some food recipes to drop though.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Mexican food! Carnitas...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Ramen Cabbage Salad[/b]

1 Head raw cabbage; shredded
    1 Box of Sesame seeds (all)
    1/3 c Almonds; sliced
    2 Pkg. of Ramen noodles*
    Cooking oil
    1 tb Sugar
    Water
    Vinegar; your favorite
    6 Green onions; sliced thin

Chop cabbage into small pieces, add sliced green onion to cabbage.
    Toast sesame seeds and almonds on cookie sheet in oven. Be
    careful--they burn very quickly!. Crush Ramen noodles* (Original
    Flavor) in package. Open and remove broth package. Just before
    serving add crushed (uncooked) noodles, sesame seeds and almonds to
    cabbage and onions. Dressing: Use a Good Seasons salad dressing
    bottle--Add water, oil and vinegar as marked on bottle. Add 1 package
    of Ramen seasoning and 1 T sugar. SHAKE WELL !!! Add to cabbage
    mixture just before serving. Toss.

for a more lighter version, i found this, but with chicken and mandarin oranges:

LIGHT RAMEN CABBAGE SALAD[/b]

1/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted

3 green onions, chopped (white and part green)

8 cups shredded cabbage

1 package (3 ounces) Oriental flavored ramen noodles (with half of the flavor packet)

2 roasted or grilled chicken breasts (boneless and skinless), diced or cut into 2-inch long thick strips (optional)

1/2 cup drained mandarin oranges, canned in juice; reserve 1/4 cup juice from can if desired (optional)

2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing:

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon honey
    3 tablespoons rice vinegar

1/2 seasoning packet from the ramen noodle package
    1/4 cup apple juice or reserve juice from mandarin oranges

Toast almonds and sesame seeds in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently until golden. Cook separately because they will turn golden at different times.

Add the dressing ingredients to a food processor bowl or small mixing bowl and pulse or beat until well blended; set aside.

Add almonds, green onions, cabbage, dried ramen noodles (crunched up into small pieces with your hands), and chicken, if desired, into a large bowl and toss to mix well.

Drizzle dressing over cabbage salad and toss to blend all ingredients. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with mandarin oranges if desired. Serve immediately or cover bowl and keep in refrigerator until needed (ideally within a few hours). If the cabbage isn't shredded too finely, it will keep better over time .

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    the mexican food

tortillas are so cheap and versatile.

teach a few fresh and cooked salsas. these are things that can be made ahead in batches and you can just have on hand in the fridge as condiments. way better and healthier than store bought ones.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    enfrijoladas, shit takes over an hour to make but fuck it's good. I like to add some lettuce as a topping, just shred that shit and let it soak in lime juice. Nothing real expensive in it either, basically beans, onion, tortillas and some cheese. The epazote can be a bitch to find though, marjoram is a decent substitute though.

1 pound dried black beans, rinsed
    1 cup chopped white onion
    4 large fresh epazote sprigs or marjoram sprigs
    2 tablespoons lard or corn oil
    2 large garlic cloves, halved
    1 1/4 teaspoons aniseed, ground or finely crushed in plastic bag or in mortar with pestle
    1/2 cup corn oil (for frying)
    18 5- to 6-inch-diameter white corn tortillas
    1 1/2 cups crumbled queso fresco(about 6 ounces)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    6 tablespoons crema or sour cream
    3 pickled jalape??o chiles, halved lengthwise

Place beans in heavy large pot. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Add 1/2 cup onion, epazote, lard, garlic, and aniseed; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until beans are just tender, adding more boiling water by cupfuls if less than 1 inch of water covers beans, and stirring occasionally, about 1 hour (beans should have soupy consistency). Season beans generously with salt; continue to simmer until very tender, about 15 minutes longer. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool slightly, cover, and chill. Rewarm beans before continuing.)

Drain beans, reserving bean cooking liquid. Place 3 cups beans (about half) and 1 1/2 cups bean cooking liquid in blender. Puree until smooth. Transfer sauce to large saucepan. Repeat with remaining beans and bean cooking liquid (supplementing with water if necessary). Season sauce with salt and pepper. Bring sauce to simmer; reduce heat and keep warm over low heat.

Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tortilla and heat 20 seconds. Using tongs, turn tortilla over and cook until beginning to bubble and soften, about 20 seconds longer. Dip tortilla into warm bean sauce to coat. Place tortilla on plate; fold into quarters. Repeat with remaining tortillas and sauce, arranging 3 folded tortillas in center of each of 6 plates. Spoon additional bean sauce over. Top with cheese, remaining 1/2 cup onion, cilantro, and crema, then pickled jalape??o chile half.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    If you're cooking with a wok then you could go for some stir fried pasta. Stir fry up your veggies while your pasta is cooking (tomatoes, mushrooms, green beans, bell pepper, onions, etc - you can use whatever's around although tomatoes are a must for sweetness and to moisten it up a bit). Just add your pasta to the stir fried veggies and then add some hot sauce. In the UK we have a brand called Tropics Hot Pepper Sauce (no sugar or additives) that works really well. Just add some salt and pepper and stir up for another minute or two and serve.

Another one you could do is a miso noodle soup of some kind. I don't tend to use recipes so apologies for the lack of any proper directions but basically you want more chopped up veggies (scallions, zuccini, sweetcorn, bell pepper (I hope I'm getting these American names right), green beans, mushrooms, etc) fried up in a saucepan, add water, miso and then I add some vegetable boullion powder which takes away from some of the miso flavour (which not everyone is keen on) and also adds some flavour. Once everything's pretty much done just add your noodles (rice/glass/soba/whatever's cheap and available), let the noodles cook and serve.

I think snacks are always tricky when you're being healthy because most snacks are built around the sugar/fat/salt combo none of which are particularly good for you. I guess hummus is good with pitta, veggies or in a sandwich or whatever but you need a blender to make it and not everyone has one of those. Really easy to make though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    TripleDouble - I admire you. That's some real superhero shit your doin'. "Wu-Tang is For the Children!"

I forget where i jacked this recipe....

1 large can of Black Beans (drained)
    2 small cans of corn - preferably "green giant's Mexican style" spicy not sweet corn
    1 medium Red onion or 3 shallots or 1 Spanish onion or Scallions or a Bunch of Chives. You pick. Just know that they all have different strengths and you should add accordingly.
    3 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro
    3 habanero peppers - any pepper will do just add according to your level of heat.
    1/2 cup of Olive Oil - preferably a Good Spanish Oil or Good supermarket Extra Virgin.
    5 Garlic Cloves - minced - adjust according to how much garlic u like.
    Kosher Salt & Fresh Grounjd Pepper to taste
    1/4 cup of vinegar - your choice of style - Regular white/Red Wine/Whitewine/Tarragon/Balsamic/etc
    I keep a bottle of homade Blackberry Vinegar in the fridge. So easy to make. Simple steeping for 10 days in the back of the fridge and drain later into a bottle. The underlying sweetness balances the spicy.
    One Pinch of Cumin - Next level is grinded toasted Cumin seeds, but since your only using such a small amount no need to go thru the extra work.

Stir all this in a non reactive bowl - cover and sit for at least an hour - preferrable over night. BANG.

Simple Ass Whatever Salad.

Next level is getting fresh Corn and roasting it. Strip the kernals and add to Black beans...add rest of stuff.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    hey Tony,

looking good !!

ya got any local farmers markets to hit up for ingredients
    (or those co-op buy in programs)
    buying local grown is my motto this year !

we could use some new snack ideas,too

Sugar is Satan

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    we could use some new snack ideas,too

Sugar is Satan

hahaha

snacks are tough...we always make 100% fruit smoothies (and talk about empty calories), sometimes plantains, parfaits, hummus occasionally, frozen banana pops, things like that. yeah fat/sugar/salt + convenience = american snacks. the best alternative is fruit.

hey Tony,

looking good !!

ya got any local farmers markets to hit up for ingredients
    (or those co-op buy in programs)to be cooking with stuff that most west philadelphians have ready access to: doritos, skittles, hawaian punch (just kidding)

elise, this sounds dope! we will try this out (possibly more of a wintery thing)

Ramen Cabbage Salad[/b]

1 Head raw cabbage; shredded
    1 Box of Sesame seeds (all)
    1/3 c Almonds; sliced
    2 Pkg. of Ramen noodles*
    Cooking oil
    1 tb Sugar
    Water
    Vinegar; your favorite
    6 Green onions; sliced thin

Chop cabbage into small pieces, add sliced green onion to cabbage.
    Toast sesame seeds and almonds on cookie sheet in oven. Be
    careful--they burn very quickly!. Crush Ramen noodles* (Original
    Flavor) in package. Open and remove broth package. Just before
    serving add crushed (uncooked) noodles, sesame seeds and almonds to
    cabbage and onions. Dressing: Use a Good Seasons salad dressing
    bottle--Add water, oil and vinegar as marked on bottle. Add 1 package
    of Ramen seasoning and 1 T sugar. SHAKE WELL !!! Add to cabbage
    mixture just before serving. Toss.

for a more lighter version, i found this, but with chicken and mandarin oranges:

LIGHT RAMEN CABBAGE SALAD[/b]

1/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted

3 green onions, chopped (white and part green)

8 cups shredded cabbage

1 package (3 ounces) Oriental flavored ramen noodles (with half of the flavor packet)

2 roasted or grilled chicken breasts (boneless and skinless), diced or cut into 2-inch long thick strips (optional)

1/2 cup drained mandarin oranges, canned in juice; reserve 1/4 cup juice from can if desired (optional)

2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing:

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon honey
    3 tablespoons rice vinegar

1/2 seasoning packet from the ramen noodle package
    1/4 cup apple juice or reserve juice from mandarin oranges

Toast almonds and sesame seeds in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently until golden. Cook separately because they will turn golden at different times.

Add the dressing ingredients to a food processor bowl or small mixing bowl and pulse or beat until well blended; set aside.

Add almonds, green onions, cabbage, dried ramen noodles (crunched up into small pieces with your hands), and chicken, if desired, into a large bowl and toss to mix well.

Drizzle dressing over cabbage salad and toss to blend all ingredients. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with mandarin oranges if desired. Serve immediately or cover bowl and keep in refrigerator until needed (ideally within a few hours). If the cabbage isn't shredded too finely, it will keep better over time .

• Options
    TripleDouble - I admire you. That's some real superhero shit your doin'

I wish I could help, but I'm a steak, egg whites, and grilled chicken person.

all the mexi suggestions are great.
    salsa, bena dip, guacamole, chicken quesadillas, are all big parts of our repertoire. on occasion, we also make our own tortillas with masa.

I'm a Meat dude as well. But the children need to see alternatives to that shit. I got a friend who drinks muthafuckin Sunny D. WTF. Who raised you w/ this? Its in the damn soda section.

sween, thats just the thing.
    health nut suggestions wont get replicated at students homes (small chance anyway), but recipes that meat and potatoes people are familiar with usually go over well.

some of our classics:
    pasta w/marinara sauce
    chili
    chinese stirfry
    indian curry rice
    jamaican curry rice n peas (w/chicken)
    cabbage w/beef (lite beef for tase)
    minestrone soup
    pasta primavera
    pasta w/pesto (when that basil is seasonal)
    smoothies
    hummus,falafel,middle eastern salad
    burritos,tacos and all that mexi fillings
    toaster pizzas
    wraps

then we get more off the wall sushi,ground nut stew,currycoconut soups...

but the gold is stuff that people are familiar with already

hollllllller!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a Meat dude as well. But the children need to see alternatives to that shit. I got a friend who drinks muthafuckin Sunny D. WTF. Who raised you w/ this? Its in the damn soda section.

yeah, bat....i am veggie, but i cant bring that to my work. we introduce some alternatives and talk of eating meat in appropriate proportions. we definitely get chicken in various lessons and anywhere we dont have meat (pasta marinara for example) we mention where it can be added.

are function isnt to tell people HOW to eat, or HOW TO EAT RIGHT, but just to put thought into their eating habits.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    A favorite quick, cheap, healthy, and easy dish for these summer months is a cold salad of bulgur, feta cheese, and cherry tomatoes. I grow the tomatoes, and bulgur is cheap in bulk. Feta could be the sticking point in the price/avialability dept, depending on your locale. chopping up a bit fresh basil is good too. Being a grain, it is filling, it stores and travels well too.

A favorite quick, cheap, healthy, and easy dish for these summer months is a cold salad of bulgur, feta cheese, and cherry tomatoes. I grow the tomatoes, and bulgur is cheap in bulk. Feta could be the sticking point in the price/avialability dept, depending on your locale. chopping up a bit fresh basil is good too. Being a grain, it is filling, it stores and travels well too.

Local Black Exp & Bulgur.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    awesome thing your doing.

i don't have any recipe's per se, but i strongly would suggest snack mix's that can be made cheap and easy. Something like chex mix, mixed nuts, dried fruits etc.

at one of my previous jobs in brooklyn, i worked with a lot of displaced workers who were looking for work and job training. many of these persons were on the lower end of the economic scale. anyway, i was shocked and saddened by how many persons started their day eating potato chips and the like. but truth is, most of the convenience stores sell that crap at like $.25-.50 for a bag, so for some it appears as the most affordable 'food' option.

working with perhaps more generic cereals and nuts, and tweaking the flavor with spices may be a healthier alternative to the cheetos that find their way into a lot of folks hands.

at one of my previous jobs in brooklyn, i worked with a lot of displaced workers who were looking for work and job training. many of these persons were on the lower end of the economic scale. anyway, i was shocked and saddened by how many persons started their day eating potato chips and the like. but truth is, most of the convenience stores sell that crap at like $.25-.50 for a bag, so for some it appears as the most affordable 'food' option.
    working with perhaps more generic cereals and nuts, and tweaking the flavor with spices may be a healthier alternative to the cheetos that find their way into a lot of folks hands.

Peanuts & Almonds arent cheap. Air Jordans arent either but u get me.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    5 stars

I wish I knew some food recipes to drop though.

Word up. This is a great thing you're doing. I'm having trouble coming up with any ideas/recipes that would fit in with the program, but my brain isn't exactly firing on all cylinders yet today, so maybe later I'll have something to add.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you might want to incorporate a class with a trip to an open market? Teach the kids to buy according to season. First it tastes better, secondly it's cheaper as produce doesn't have to be shipped across the world.

Like right now, we're at the tail end of asparagus season. You can probably still find some for cheap, strawberries too.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    hmm.

im the new chef here for 3 weeks now.
    come and take some lessons son

hmm.

im the new chef here for 3 weeks now.
    come and take some lessons son

What planet is this?

• Options

yeah, bat....i am veggie, but i cant bring that to my work. we introduce some alternatives and talk of eating meat in appropriate proportions. we definitely get chicken in various lessons and anywhere we dont have meat (pasta marinara for example) we mention where it can be added.

are function isnt to tell people HOW to eat, or HOW TO EAT RIGHT, but just to put thought into their eating habits.

Oh ok, I got you. I knew you were a vegetarian so I thought it was aimed in that direction. I still say you're a superhero though. I'll dig something out later and add it.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    all the mexi suggestions are great.
    salsa, bena dip, guacamole, chicken quesadillas, are all big parts of our repertoire. on occasion, we also make our own tortillas with masa.

And when it's all been in the fridge for a while, make some tortilla soup with the leftovers. Just chuck it all in a pot with water and a can of beans and a can of tomatoes, simmer, stir and serve. Bake some stale tortillas in the oven and crumble on top with pretty much any kind of cheese. Leftovers rock.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    tony, i'm not sure if i've told you this before, but you're my fucking hero...i hope to be like you when i grow up...

keep those recipes coming too...

oh while people are talking food, is it really true avocados are no good for you ?

i love me some avocados.

oh while people are talking food, is it really true avocados are no good for you ?

Where did you read/hear this?

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

Where did you read/hear this?

i'm not sure who told me but someone said they are real oily and not that great for you (as far as veggies go).