"Hasnt Aged Well"

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
What does that really mean? Im confused to how that is a critque of an album that was touted by the public/heads and then gets swept under the rug 10/15/25 years later?Can someone clarify? 'Cause sometimes it sounds like you werent really listening in the first place.And give me some examples in any genre.

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    What does that really mean?

Im confused to how that is a critque of an album that was touted by the public/heads and then gets swept under the rug 10/15/25 years later?

Can someone clarify? 'Cause sometimes it sounds like you werent really listening in the first place.

And give me some examples in any genre.

For me it has more to do with my taste in music changing then the music itself. But a lot of albums I really liked 10 years ago don't do it for me anymore.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Im confused to how that is a critque of an album that was touted by the public/heads and then gets swept under the rug 10/15/25 years later?

Can someone clarify? 'Cause sometimes it sounds like you werent really listening in the first place.

For me it has more to do with my tast in music changing then the music itself. But a lot of albums I really liked 10 years ago don't do it for me anymore.

So the art isnt in question but the listener?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i think that if music or movies or any artistic output relies too much on current events for its popularity than it generally doesnt age well.

• kinjameskinjames 19 Posts
    The Police

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Well the listener in this case, is the only variable that can change.

i think that if music or movies or any artistic output relies too much on current events for its popularity than it generally doesnt age well.

Example pleez.

Example pleez.

SNL for just about all of the past two decades.

So that negates impact?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I still like the Police and that Beasties record.

The grunge stuff "has not aged well".

Example pleez.

Actually thats a bad example, because they stank to begin with.

Example pleez.

SNL dies in the 80's but mofos hung on like the rest of America does when it comes to Tv Shows.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

• loudwizardloudwizard 358 Posts

So that negates impact?

I listen for the sound that comes out when I hit play or drop a needle. That record sucks. Even the "better" songs struggle for mediocrity.

Impact?

Perfect. I'll see that and raise you...

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Shit, I better change my mind and follow y'all then--I still rep this.

This is actually at the heart of my question. But Ive seen it said for other albums.

Is this next? Not that these are the same - so dont go there.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I think it has more to do with an album, as a work of art, being able to transcend the time & era in which it was origianlly conceived and released. Not sounding "dated".

I.E.
    ODESSEY AND ORACLE - DID age well (still sounds good even some 35+years after its release)

NOTHINGS SHOCKING - DID NOT age well (sounds very tinny and eighties sounding)

Of course, its a very subjective thing, but that my impression of the term.

Space doo-doo pistols.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think it has more to do with an album, as a work of art, being able to transcend the time & era in which it was origianlly conceived and released. Not sounding "dated".

I.E.
    ODESSEY AND ORACLE - DID age well (still sounds good even some 35+years after its release)

Of course, its a very subjective thing, but that my impression of the term.

Great examples.

Drum n bass gets my vote.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What does ("hasn't aged well") really mean?

Here's my example: the Replacements' Pleased To Meet Me. At the time, I knew good and well this was supposed to be their mild stab at making a commercial (quote-unquote) album. But I still liked it in spite of itself.

Fast forward to the late nineties...I hadn't heard the album in a while when a friend/coworker played it in the office we shared...the songs themselves sounded good, but the production was so eighties it could hurt your feelings! I mainly remember big booming drums, although I'm sure there were other signifiers too...and I don't wanna rag on Jim Dickinson (who produced), since he's a favorite of mine, but this record is so of its' time that now it almost sounds prehistoric. Whereas their earlier album, Let It Be, sounds timeless. THAT'S what I myself usually mean when I say something hasn't aged well.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    i've heard people say that the MIZELL[/b] sound has not aged well. while i don't necessarily agree, i guess i can understand how some might say it's a sound that marks a specific time and struggles to eschew this contextual timeframe and really stand up on its own as music or art.

That is so on point. Probably the best example. I heard that the other day and was embarrassed beyond belief that I used to like it. Pigs in Zen. "Yeah, some people should die. That's just unconscious knowledge, man." Fucking dumbass dopefiend dickhead.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Also, to expand on the obvious reference to wine.....when a wine "doesnt age well", its meant that it should be consumed and enjoyed within a period after its production in order to get the most out of it. And a wine that has a short "enjoy by" life isnt necessarily a lessser wine than one that is meant to be aged. In fact, it can often be the opposite. Not sure if this could apply to albums, but its just a thought.

Actually, this kind of brings up an interesting idea.

Do you think that artists/bands actually take this kind of thing into consideration when producing albums?
    Weather it will "age well"?
    Any producers out there have any input?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

For me it has more to do with my tast in music changing then the music itself. But a lot of albums I really liked 10 years ago don't do it for me anymore.

Exactly, the statement should really be "I haven't aged well." Haha.

No but really, it's always just the individual interpretation when one makes this statement, and it means that they used to be hyped on the shit but it just sounds bland or tired or old to them now. A good majority of shit I used to listen to 10 year ago does not sound the same to me today nor does it invoke the same feelings when I listen to it. It hasn't aged well to me.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    i was never that keen on the record in the first place. the poor pressing didn't help the listening experience either. i think that is one of the most overrated golden era hip hop lps.....

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Also, a work of art that is built on novelty is likely to fall off in later years. A work of art that is based on fundamentals is likely to stick. This is a very general statement so don't try ripping my apart with contrary examples.