PayPal question...

john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
If someone pays you through PayPal and you transferred the funds to your bank account, can they still do a cancel/chargeback before those funds actually post to your bank account?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    they can do a chargeback even if the funds have made it to your bank account and have long been spent.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Isn't there a 90 day limit on chargebacks though?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Isn't there a 90 day limit on chargebacks though?

something like that. I think it used to be 4 months.

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
    I guess my other question is - Is it safe to send the item? They've paid already although like I said, it hasn't posted to my bank account, and it's not even listed as "pending" either.

Do you have some kind of reason to suspect that the buyer is going to do a charge back? Are you sending a bunk record or something? I don't understand why you're worried. If you want to make your customers happy, I would send out the record as soon as you receive the payment. If your paypal account says you have the money, then you have the money. If you have no reason to suspect the buyer of trying to rip you off, send the record.

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
    Are you sending a bunk record or something? I don't understand why you're worried

Haha, no, it's just that I usually wait until the money shows up in my bank account until I send out - most people are cool with that. I've just heard about chargebacks and stuff on here, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Oh I gotcha. You should be cool, paypal wouldn't let them send you the funds if the funds weren't available, so it should be all good.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Oh I gotcha. You should be cool, paypal wouldn't let them send you the funds if the funds weren't available, so it should be all good.

and it getting to your bank account has zero to do with the ability to caught in the chargeback. If they sent you the dough, you transfer the dough from paypal to your bank account, they still can get their dough back. you will have a negative balance if a chargeback occurs when you have a zero funds in your account. And remember Paypal knows your bank info so they'll get their dough.

• When being paid by paypal your basically at the mercy of the paypal staff... and or the person who bought from you.. it's a risky and very trusting way to get paid. I personally can't stand paypal although i still use it... see www.paypalsucks.com for some info on chargebacks.