MPC sickwidit live (YT/AnticonR)

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I know a lot of people have a lot of opinions about anticon, but regardless of all of that, anyone who uses a sampler should be checking for this:

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    this is flappin epic. especially when hes doing the drums with one hand in the end.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Duuuuuude.
    thats fuckin craazy.
    jel's a BEAST on the mpc.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    another

sweet tune

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    After all these years he's still impressive. I remembering seeing dude rock the sp-1200 like a beast as well.

Man, I need to support dude by buying a cd or something. I always liked "Greenball" as well as "Presage" and was really amazed by his ability to chop and flip short samples.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

I always liked "Greenball" as well as "Presage" and was really amazed by his ability to chop and flip short samples.

Huge co-sign. I don't think Ive heard 'Presage' ....Whats the LP with the clock on the front? I have that and greenball and I really like both of them but greenball still gets more play.

BTW, there are a couple tracks off greenball that weren't on vinyl, only the CD I think. Do you know which ones Im talking about? I havent heard them in years and I'd like to hear them again....

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    god damn.

"Presage" was really this strange but DOPE instrumentalalbum Jel did with Mr Dibbs way back in like 97-98. A local S.F. label named "Future Primitive" put it out but obviously they fucked that up majorly (but how could you properly market a insturmental album about conspiracy theories?).

It's a 60 minute "concept" album layered with New World/Illuminatti/Conspiracy sound bites. Not to go off but somehow I ended up reading "behold a pale horse" and listening to that album non-stop while I was on vacation in El Salvador, I don't know why I would even do that. Anyways, if you want feel like a shook baby while getting blown away, track it down. The vinyl had a great Doze Green cover it as well.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    somewhere between 98-00 i was at nathan/oms ghetto ass two room crib in the TL and jel was there with doze and 3 or 4 other rapper type dudes whos names ive forgotten. anyway, for a few hours jel and nathan were wrecking that machine while all the rapper dudes just flipped verses inbetween smoking and drinking. like patrick said dude was impressive. i have never seen anyone rock that shit like jel. one of my all-time favorite indie hip-hop moments. dont think ill ever see anything quite like that again...

Man, I need to support dude by buying a cd or something.

x a gajillion

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Presage" was really this strange but DOPE instrumentalalbum Jel did with Mr Dibbs way back in like 97-98. A local S.F. label named "Future Primitive" put it out but obviously they fucked that up majorly (but how could you properly market a insturmental album about conspiracy theories?).

It's a 60 minute "concept" album layered with New World/Illuminatti/Conspiracy sound bites. Not to go off but somehow I ended up reading "behold a pale horse" and listening to that album non-stop while I was on vacation in El Salvador, I don't know why I would even do that. Anyways, if you want feel like a shook baby while getting blown away, track it down. The vinyl had a great Doze Green cover it as well.

WOW

You sure you want to put all this out there?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    jel is dope.

WOW

You sure you want to put all this out there?

I knew you would come in here squirting your pheromones all over this thread like a cat in heat .

Yeah it is sort of a NAGL but then again this was 10 years ago, I was 17 years old for christsakes (!) I mean it's not like I was in A EXPERIMENTAL NOISE BAND WITH A DEEJAY. I still stand by Presage being a great album.

At least I've grown out of it (the conspiracy bullshit thing) and realized it's defense lawyers who are the true masters of the supreme secret!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Crazy. I really liked "10 seconds" and I like the new album too, except of course, the vocal tracks. It absolutely blows my mind to see the MPC played like this. Me, I'm struggling to put a single bar down sometimes...

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    is that a headless peewee herman figure?

at any rate, this shit is dope. no words!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    It's a natural talent he's got. I first met him in 1999 and he was doing it back then. The first time I met him he was upstairs in the studio set up and I was downstairs. I heard him put on a record and then all of a sudden these knockin drums came in on top and it was obvious it wasn't from the record. I asked my friend "what is that" and he said "yeah, that's him tapping out drums on top of the song."

He used to do it all on the SP, but now he has moved on to the 16 pads of the mpc and the dr sample at the same time.

I would also like to add that the amazing thing about this is that Jel is in about 5 different bands, including his own music. Somehow he can remember the pad layout and sequencing for tons of songs. He's definitely a talented guy. he is, in my opinion, the best live sampler player I've ever seen. I've seen some other people who do some crazy shit, but they take it to some lame theatrics and cheese it up big time. Jel's is always all about the beats, no fancy body tricks or lame poly note guitar solos.

Speaking of great MPC players Jeremy "Ayro" Ellis is really dope. Different in musical style and method but still on point. He plays the MPC live, does vocals, and plays the rhodes.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Speaking of great MPC players Jeremy "Ayro" Ellis is really dope. Different in musical style and method but still on point. He plays the MPC live, does vocals, and plays the rhodes.

huge cosign. saw him play a few times. definitly a killer one dude show.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    his more recent release 'soft money' on anticon records is also very well done.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

el canta en espa??ol tambien!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I've seen some other people who do some crazy shit, but they take it to some lame theatrics and cheese it up big time. Jel's is always all about the beats, no fancy body tricks[/b] or lame poly note guitar solos.

I can think of one person who fits this bill.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Those clips were crazy . Goddamn. I generally don't check for Anticon, so Jel has been off my radar until now, but I'm gonna start checking for his stuff after seeing this plus keep an eye out for live appearances.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    "Presage" was DOPE
    I liked that one a lot.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i heard they only pressed 500 of those presage LP's on wax. anybody here looking for a copy? ::instrumentalhiphopraer::

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• is that a headless peewee herman figure?

at any rate, this shit is dope. no words!

That only made it better!!!! I was buggin when i caught that haha. jel is definitely dope!

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Jel is the man...Even if you don't typically like Anticon stuff you should definetly check out Jel! "WMD's" with old boy from Poor Righteous Teachers is undeniably dope! Also, Alias is worthy of mention...Two most talented Aniconians in my opinion....