Live instrument hip hop band UNappreciation post

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    ELEFISH JELLYFANT

Weird...there were 2 white dude funk bands that would perform togther all of the time in Austin when I first got here in '89 whose names were Retarded Elf and Bouffant Jellyfish.

• Next thing y'all will be saying Eddie K is a granola rapper.

Speak upon what you know.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    "YO, yo yo" "Make some Noise" "throw your hands/diamonds/drink/whatever in the air" "everybody say hooooo..." "all the ladies in the house...." "all the fellas..."

And the ever-popular "Turn my headphones up!"

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    ELEFISH JELLYFANT

Oh, man...

=[/b]

I gotta admit that press photo is looking pretty Primus..

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Next thing y'all will be saying Eddie K is a granola rapper.

Thank yuo man! Thats what I'm saying

Eddie K =

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Next thing y'all will be saying Eddie K is a granola rapper.

Do his albums have titles like Elefish Jellyroll, Monkeybush Phatline and Blackeye Pumpkinfunk?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    white dude in a Grateful Dead shirt with dreadlocks he got at a salon
    on this note I would like to say that I firmly beleive that more black folks w/ dreads are of the salon variety than white hippes whose are most likely home made while waiting for Phish shows in some parking lot.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    on this note I would like to say that I firmly beleive that more black folks w/ dreads are of the salon variety than white hippes whose are most likely home made while waiting for Phish shows in some parking lot.

Have you been to the Carribean? Africa? Or are u talkin' brothers and sisters in America? Specify.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey M***,

The demo I was referring to in the "Awkward Situation" post was from one of those type groups. It was asscrack booty!!!! I find these groups corny. They're trying too hard to be "something" (whatever the fuck that is), and it comes off contrived. Typical skateboard rap at its worst!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

what is this "skateboard rap" you speak of?

It's another name for that genre I peg "suburban rap" that's corny-ass, contrived, lacking in flava, with stiff-ass rhymin', weirdo lyrical content, and overdone wannabee overtones (e.g., Aesop Rock, Buck 65, Mountain Bros, etc; insert group from the suburbs on indie rap labels here). It sounds awkward, like my Black ass trying to make a convincing alternative rock album. Usually, the beats suck ass, but every now and then, this can be the better part of the recording. But the MCs.......NEVER!!!!! Just a note for those who think I'm invoking race here, not all White guys rap wack like they do in suburban rap. At the moment, Eminem is lyrically the truth (though I don't like his beats). Hell, I can't stand most brothas rhymin' either cause the lyrics are so damn simple. Wack comes in all shades, but a lot of those homegrown hip-hop bands have the stench of suburban rap all over them!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

white dude in a Grateful Dead shirt with dreadlocks he got at a salon

The myth of "leave you hair alone and it will magically form perfect locks" is just that. Point being, there is nothing wrong with having your baby locks twisted up by a professional.

Eminem is lyrically the truth

No wonder lies are so fab nowadays.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Eminem is lyrically the truth

No wonder lies are so fab nowadays.

Yo Archaic, you can't front on dude, he can flow. Do I own any of his recordings? NO!!!! I don't prefer his music (i.e., I am not a fan). But when it comes to MCin', those suburban rap clowns should take notes. In MCin', presentation is everything, and Em definitely has the gift.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Have you been to the Carribean? Africa? Or are u talkin' brothers and sisters in America? Specify.
    America specificly. Where as I'm sure most Carribean or African dreads are of the natural home made variety.

and this is only in comparison to hippies:

not these folks:

The myth of "leave you hair alone and it will magically form perfect locks" is just that. Point being, there is nothing wrong with having your baby locks twisted up by a professional.
    I know dreads do not result from mearly not combing your hair, matted hair does. My problem w/ "salon dreads" is the uniformity of size, I think a mixed head tooks better.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Hey M***,

The demo I was referring to in the "Awkward Situation" post was from one of those type groups. It was asscrack booty!!!! I find these groups corny. They're trying too hard to be "something" (whatever the fuck that is), and it comes off contrived. Typical skateboard rap at its worst!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

It's another name for that genre I peg "suburban rap" that's corny-ass, contrived, lacking in flava, with stiff-ass rhymin', weirdo lyrical content, and overdone wannabee overtones (e.g., Aesop Rock, Buck 65, Mountain Bros, etc; insert group from the suburbs on indie rap labels here). It sounds awkward, like my Black ass trying to make a convincing alternative rock album. Usually, the beats suck ass, but every now and then, this can be the better part of the recording. But the MCs.......NEVER!!!!! Just a note for those who think I'm invoking race here, not all White guys rap wack like they do in suburban rap. At the moment, Eminem is lyrically the truth (though I don't like his beats). Hell, I can't stand most brothas rhymin' either cause the lyrics are so damn simple. Wack comes in all shades, but a lot of those homegrown hip-hop bands have the stench of suburban rap all over them!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

So you hate all of commercial hip-hop and hate almost all of underground rap music. What do you like besides Ultramagnetic?

Hey M***,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

So you hate all of commercial hip-hop and hate almost all of underground rap music. What do you like besides Ultramagnetic?

If I recall correctly, my man once posted that the track "Capone Bone" had pushed his wig back.

• Hey M***,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

damn usually what you have to say is much more intelligent than this "skateboard rap" genre you speak on. maybe you mean emo rap?

i don't see where what you said has anything to do with a skateboard. maybe you think all skateboarders are white rappers?? not sure about that, what i can tell you is that some of the best skateboarders in the whole world happen to be black. i do agree with you that "corny-ass, contrived, lacking in flava, with stiff-ass rhymin', weirdo lyrical content, and overdone wannabee overtones" hiphop is wack as hell but to label it "skateboard rap" is ignorant on your part.

1). That title, Capone Bone, is highly ay-yo licious. Especially for a dude who was locked up.

2). Is that something off of "The War Report"? I never heard that album, I just got the "TONY" single and that "LA LA" shit.

Hey M***,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Really???? So, suburban rap makes up (in your words) "almost all of underground rap music." I big up stuff on here (rarely) cause most new stuff is butt. Here are some LPs I've liked in the last 5 years (examples):

-"The Listening"-Little Brother.
    -"The Unseen"-Quasimoto.
    -"Long Hot Summer"-Masta Ace.
    -"Grind Date"-De La Soul.
    -"Madvillainy"-Madvillain.
    -"Soul Travellin'"-Strange Fruit Project.
    -"Supreme Clientele" and "The Pretty Toney Album"-Ghostface.
    -"Love Hell or Right (Da Come Up)"-Mathematics.
    -"Reflection Eternal"-Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek.
    -"Fantastic Vol. 2"-Slum Village.
    -"Now or Never: Odyssey 2000"-Easy Moe Bee.
    -"Champion Sound"-Jaylib.
    -"H.N.I.C."-Prodigy.
    -"Take it or Squeeze It"-The Beatnuts.
    -"Further Adventures of Lord Quas"-Quasimoto.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Skateboard rap = Hiero, Y'all So Stupid, Swollen Members, etc.

"Get on my skateboard and do a muthafuckin' driveby" - Buckshot Shorty of Black Moon

Hey M***,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

damn usually what you have to say is much more intelligent than this "skateboard rap" genre you speak on. maybe you mean emo rap?

i don't see where what you said has anything to do with a skateboard. maybe you think all skateboarders are white rappers?? not sure about that, what i can tell you is that some of the best skateboarders in the whole world happen to be black. i do agree with you that "corny-ass, contrived, lacking in flava, with stiff-ass rhymin', weirdo lyrical content, and overdone wannabee overtones" hiphop is wack as hell but to label it "skateboard rap" is ignorant on your part.

Damn--you mad?

Hey M***,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

No, the "skateboard rap" thing was poking fun at suburban rap, that's all. I didn't mean to demean skateboarders by associating them with wack MCs, though they do dress similarly.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey M***,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Really???? So, suburban rap makes up (in your words) "almost all of underground rap music." I big up stuff on here (rarely) cause most new stuff is butt. Here are some LPs I've liked in the last 5 years (examples):

-"The Unseen"-Quasimoto.
    -"H.N.I.C."-Prodigy.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

1). We have very similar tastes in underground hip-hop (You check the side project from Strange Fruit Project producers on BBE?)
    2). I call suburban rap "underground shit that even I don't listen to" which means "anticon, non-phixion etc..".

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    this post just keeps getting better and better. keep it up guys!

Skateboard rap = Hiero, Y'all So Stupid, Swollen Members, etc.

"Get on my skateboard and do a muthafuckin' driveby" - Buckshot Shorty of Black Moon

word, I really can't stand Hiero or Swollen members either.

2). I call suburban rap "underground shit that even I don't listen to isn't sufficiently on that headwraps-n-incense tip" which means "anticon, non-phixion etc..".

Hey M***,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

-"The Unseen"-Quasimoto.
    -"H.N.I.C."-Prodigy.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

2). I call suburban rap "underground shit that even I don't listen to" which means "anticon, non-phixion etc..".

Yep!!!! Those are the "types" to which I was referring. I didn't expect it to be so bad the way dudes on various message boards would prop it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

2). I call suburban rap "underground shit that even I don't listen to isn't sufficiently on that headwraps-n-incense tip" which means "anticon, non-phixion etc..".

For me, not a requirement. I prefer hip-hop that has some redeeming entertainment quality either lyrically, through charisma, musically, or even by use of humor (e.g., The Beatnuts). Usually, suburban rap lacks all of these attributes. It's just blah!!! It just sits there like turds in a toilet bowl.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak