Live instrument hip hop band UNappreciation post

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Talkin All That Jazz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey M***,

The demo I was referring to in the "Awkward Situation" post was from one of those type groups. It was asscrack booty!!!! I find these groups corny. They're trying too hard to be "something" (whatever the fuck that is), and it comes off contrived. Typical skateboard rap at its worst!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks, what happened to your trademark Funkadelic signature?

• Hey M***,

The demo I was referring to in the "Awkward Situation" post was from one of those type groups. It was asscrack booty!!!! I find these groups corny. They're trying too hard to be "something" (whatever the fuck that is), and it comes off contrived. Typical skateboard rap at its worst!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

what is this "skateboard rap" you speak of?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    the only shit like that
    i can ever remember enjoying
    was LL on Unplugged.
    How about the Roots backing up Jay-Z? That shit was hot IMO.

Re: Roots backin' up Jay-Z -> the reason (from this vantage point) that it worked so well is the same reason that plagues the Roots for the most part on their recorded material (w/ the exception of one or two tracks here and there such as 'What They Do') - they come off as too studied an outfit - I don't really hear much of a spontaneous swing in the sound - it's as if Ahmir, Tariq et al all sat down and listened to a slew of albums, memorizing as if for master examination, and passed w/ flying colors - it means you're qualified, but that doesn't translate into compelling... Best analogy I can come up w/ the swing of an SP1200 versus that of Fruity Loops... So for Jay-Z, they could replicate the music behind him fluidly, but given to their own devices, the crazed-look-in-the-face-sh*t-is-the-bomb just doesn't exist...

To further along the comparison of jam and hip-hop bands, Roots = Phish when it comes to touring prowess which I guess is a good thing if that's how your bills are gettin' paid in full...

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Can't front on these cats though! Tear the roof of venues..

• Outkast started to do this circa Aquemini, and all of their shows that I saw during that era were a lot of fun.

Reminds me of seeing Goodie Mob on their "Still Standing" tour...that shit was a real CONCERT. Had a great time!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    the only shit like that
    i can ever remember enjoying
    was LL on Unplugged.
    How about the Roots backing up Jay-Z? That shit was hot IMO.
    shit was hot. as a matter of fact, a lot of those unplugged joints was hot (esp. 90'-95').

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Actually, I think their records are an excellent example of just how crappy this shit can be, and could even be a blueprint for the lil local dudes we're talking about here... (never seen them live however, and wouldn't bother...)

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Yes, Live Human are dope live, but they don't have a rapper!

Crown City Rockers pka The Mission fit this profile perfectly plus a gang of baby groups in SF, so boring, so tedious. It's like after seeing Breakestra for the 400th time, ok, you're kinda funky, I get it, NOW WHAT?

there's this one band in SF that's the worst, I can't think of their name....

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    maybe the concept can be executed well,
    but who has done it?

Ever listen to this? One extended live track on this features Biz Markie, its dope. Also has Mandrill covers, incl. Fencewalk.

Also is that LA band Dakah still around? I saw them once, they were on some next level

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Actually, I think their records are an excellent example of just how crappy this shit can be, and could even be a blueprint for the lil local dudes we're talking about here... (never seen them live however, and wouldn't bother...)
    Feel how ya want but If you've never seen them you can't say shit. I don't have any of there records ...I got some Quest mixtapes with some of their stuff on there. If you are into cutting and some real DJ representing shit you can't get much better than DJ Quest killin it with these dudes live.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Crown City Rockers pka The Mission fit this profile perfectly plus a gang of baby groups in SF, so boring, so tedious. It's like after seeing Breakestra for the 400th time, ok, you're kinda funky, I get it, NOW WHAT?

I didn't know we were talkin exclusive to emcee's ..but I have seen Live human do shows with Luke sick and eddie K on the mic and it was pretty hype.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

I understand the scene I used to live in a spot in Norther cali flooded with hippie-hop and on any given day you would come across suckey ass shit like this...cats coming from jam bands that were forming groups because they just heard the Roots for the first time and that somehow validated hip-hop as an art form for them...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I posted about this a couple of months ago... Hi!

I'll add: "MIC CHECK, MIC CHECK" .... back in MYYYYY DAY that shit meant something. Last time I did sound for some jokers, first couple of times I hear it I pretend to make adjustments to the already fine levels. Third time I realize, Oh, you're just insecure in front of a crowd and you're yelling it to sound professional/like Jay-Z. Anyway, white girls LoOOOOOOOve this stuff.

Someone mentioned Brand New Heavies... that LP is choc-full of samples and loops, they just perfected the jazz cat style due to the massive Acid Jazz crap that was going on in the early 90s. Ahead of their time:

Mmmmm, "contemporary". Nice.

maybe the concept can be executed well,
    but who has done it?

Ever listen to this? One extended live track on this features Biz Markie, its dope. Also has Mandrill covers, incl. Fencewalk.

Also is that LA band Dakah still around? I saw them once, they were on some next level

That Don Byron album is pretty good, but not next level shit.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

So, to summarize:

Dudes that happen to be in a band deciding to mess with rap = not a good look

Rap acts finding a role for instruments in their live shows = a potentially good look
    I know yall are about clown but I thought Common's show on the Electric Circus tour was pretty dope. I didn't really listen to the album but for some reason it came off better live.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    First time I saw Common (97?) he did with some band called "Black Girl Named Becky". Fucking dope...

Live Human=Dope
    Crown City=Pretty Good
    A lot of these other local rap bands= kind of fucking

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Third time I realize, Oh, you're just insecure in front of a crowd and you're yelling it to sound professional/like Jay-Z.
    and this is really a problem? Rap has been forever filled w/ mic "filler" call it hyping up the crowd or whatever you want to. Rappers LOVE to hear themselves talk. Shit there are special people (hype-men) who do nothing but this shit. It comes w/ the teritory aka "YO, yo yo" "Make some Noise" "throw your hands/diamonds/drink/whatever in the air" "everybody say hooooo..." "all the ladies in the house...." "all the fellas..." As a side note, this aspect of hip-hop is one of the things "rockists" hate most.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Feel how ya want but If you've never seen them you can't say shit.

What, are you actually in the band or some sh!t?

I mean, damn, dude.

Also, I note that their album is apparently titled Orangebush Monkeyflower... they pretty much lost me right there.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Third time I realize, Oh, you're just insecure in front of a crowd and you're yelling it to sound professional/like Jay-Z.
    and this is really a problem? Rap has been forever filled w/ mic "filler" call it hyping up the crowd or whatever you want to. Rappers LOVE to hear themselves talk. Shit there are special people (hype-men) who do nothing but this shit. It comes w/ the teritory aka "YO, yo yo" "Make some Noise" "throw your hands/diamonds/drink/whatever in the air" "everybody say hooooo..." "all the ladies in the house...." "all the fellas..." As a side note, this aspect of hip-hop is one of the things
    Steve Harvey[/b] hate the most.

I just payed 28.50$ why don't you "SAY HO! AND THROW YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR [/b]

P.S. I think this photo is kinda fucked up

I had an arguement with this young girl about live vs. dj hip hop. Her youth and race definitely came into play when she gave her opinions. She said that the live stuff is "real" hip hop. I tried to give the history lesson but she wasnt tryin to hear me. I can appreciate the live shit,when done well, but nothin beats a good mc interacting with a good dj,IMO. Has anybody heard the lost Q-tip album that didnt get released? He was tryin' to do some fusion type stuff. Along with some questionable singing.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Feel how ya want but If you've never seen them you can't say shit.

What, are you actually in the band or some sh!t?

I mean, damn, dude.

Also, I note that their album is apparently titled Orangebush Monkeyflower... they pretty much lost me right there.
    Man I grew up around some horrible hippie rap shit... I'm just sayin I don't see the relationship between hackey sac and hemp necklaces getting sold in the park well some white dude in a Grateful Dead shirt with dreadlocks he got at a salon spits a rhyme about how "I don't by Nike Mon...made in sweatshop Mon!" and live human ...that is all

Live Human doesn't even have a rapper. It's a drummer, an upright bass player and dj quest on scratches.

I don't see the relationship between hackey sac and hemp necklaces getting sold in the park well some white dude in a Grateful Dead shirt with dreadlocks he got at a salon spits a rhyme about how "I don't by Nike Mon...made in sweatshop Mon!" and live human ...that is all

Their name is "Live Human"

Their album is called "Orangebush Monkeyflower"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Admittedly, I've only heard Live Human's ELEFISH JELLYFANT cd... but it was DEFINITELY on some hackey sack and fatty vegan burrito shit, bruh

ELEFISH JELLYFANT

Oh, man...

=[/b]

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I havn't heard any albums ...I'm only talking about a live show and with emcees... I've been pretty damn impressed...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    and this is really a problem? Rap has been forever filled w/ mic "filler" call it hyping up the crowd or whatever you want to. Rappers LOVE to hear themselves talk. Shit there are special people (hype-men) who do nothing but this shit. It comes w/ the teritory aka "YO, yo yo" "Make some Noise" "throw your hands/diamonds/drink/whatever in the air" "everybody say hooooo..." "all the ladies in the house...." "all the fellas..." As a side note, this aspect of hip-hop is one of the things "rockists" hate most.

That's not what I was referring to at all. MIC CHECK, MIC CHECK before every rap is a sign that one be full of it. That's not the same as "Throw your hands in the air"... Were you at this show: "Can I get a stand?" [Audience roars] .... "A mic stand"

Speaking of which... Big Dady Kane, July 13th, 7pm, Brower Park, Crown Heights. In the fucking mix or what?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Everytime this picture surfaces, I laugh.

-e