Record Show Attendance (generally speaking)

AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
So i've been thinkin' a lot about how the San Diego Record Show has seen a slight yet steady decrease in attendance since I started it in 2001. I have talked with a few other promoters and the consensus seems to be the same so far. I have also heard unconfirmed rumors that the buena park show is suffering as of lately. I'd like to hear peoples opinions on this. Do you still go? If not, why not? Did dildo take away all the DJ's and just leave the hardcore collectors? What, if anything can be done to reverse these trends and thereby save the shows from extinction? I was also curious to hear from the Night Owl guys too since I know they have a different vibe out there with the booze and party and stuff (sadly that is not an option for me). You guys keep a door count?Peace,Al

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I think that's the general state of in-person record buying in 2007. Never been to any of the SoCal shows but that could just as easily be said of many shows on the east coast and IMO record shops as well.

There are people not a 15 minute drive away that I still have to email/call to let them know I just got a nice batch in. I have lost some business because I don't squirrel records away for high-end clientele (read: hip-hop producers). I can't count how many great, rare records get snapped up by people who don't even live in this country yet hit my shop more often than cats in this very city.

Many people would rather shop online or with a private dealer who will go the extra mile and pull titles for them than spend time at a record shop or record show. That's my take, anyway.

From this buyer's perspective (and bear in mind, I am buying wholesale most of the time) record shows have become less and less worthwhile because dealers are either not scoring the goods or gripping so hard that rare/different titles never even make it into their boxes. I know of a good several dealers in these parts that only bring their "post-ebay" stock to shows. What's the point then?

• Well JP covered it for the most part. I use to hitup the westcoast every year and here on the east where I stay, but have not in years now for those reasons. I don't even bother going to local spots anymore in the tri state area where i live. Reason being is they don't bring the heat! Who want's to hit all the tables just to look thru leftovers that did not sell on ebay. I'm right outside nyc on long island sound which is far enough that I can't visit jp's shop on a daily basis to see what's new. So basically due to the daily struggle of time management it's left me shopping online or with specific private dealers who will hold items.

I've got three stores within driving distance 30/45 mins two of which are rundown dirty old mom and pop shops with horrible lighting and unorganized chaotic piles of records everywhere. Having to spend my entire day in a unhealthy store looking thru uncleaned right out the basement pieces is not for me. One other is decent, but a tiny selection of only few hundred vinyls mostly $5 classic rock titles. Really though who has trouble getting rid of the dope raer's?? do you need to save them for the show?? prob not. Yet dealers at shows should respect that the people took time to come out and support!!! have some hot shit ready for the early birds and the late arrival guys! That's my opinion.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    on what was said before.

I went to a new recordfair last wednesday and it was leftovers all the way through and a couple of completely overpriced heat. even all the tepid leftovers were 10??? onwards each. one dude tried to sell a g-- Niagara s/t for 185???

however, it??s hit and miss. on the yearly jazz record fair in Hannover, there was one UK seller with a truckload of quality records for very reasonable prices. there is hope...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Buena park is mainly suffering from not having a place to be held the last few months! Just moved here recently so I can't really say if it's gone downhill. The last one I went to was pretty packed, and like you say tho stock was pretty thin. A lot of chaff for not a lot of people.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Buena park is mainly suffering from not having a place to be held the last few months! Just moved here recently so I can't really say if it's gone downhill. The last one I went to was pretty packed, and like you say tho stock was pretty thin. A lot of chaff for not a lot of people.

Buena Park (when it happens) is a great show. Usually as a ton of dealers with great items, and its held the week before the PCC show so its usually less picked through as well.

Unfortunately BP is held at a union hall and the last couple months the union hall has been used to hold a vote on a potential strike that has lasted the last 3 months

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I can't count how many great, rare records get snapped up by people who don't even live in this country yet hit my shop more often than cats in this very city.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    So i've been thinkin' a lot about how the San Diego Record Show has seen a slight yet steady decrease in attendance since I started it in 2001.

This sucks. It was good and plenty packed when I went there last summer. It was so nice to check out a well organized show. It is actually inspiring me and a few cats here to try to do our own record show in Vegas. Well, see you guys in July, plus i'm headed to SD this weekend so I should be digging there all day friday.

- spidey

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Man, I make my rounds to some of the shows in and around the SOUTHEAST but as usual you get the over priced soul records (sealed common break beat lp's) 50% off of beat up soul lp's, the smallest selection of psych/prog. The only dealers I've seen that come to sell all they shit are the gamers that specialize in nothing but re-issues. I hate the shipping cost but buying online has become the norm. WHO"S GOING TO THE AUSTIN SHOW THIS YEAR???

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Many people would rather shop online or with a private dealer who will go the extra mile and pull titles for them than spend time at a record shop or record show.

I constantly get online orders from people who live 15 minutes from the store and want it mailed to them. ??????

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    The record shows this wau have been on smash...The dumbass local paper ran a piece about the popularity of vinyl and blew the spot up...So when I struted in around 7:30 am the place was packed with hipster fuckheads. No biggie though the last one calmed down a little bit however a lotta wierdos crawl outta the swamp to make it out.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i know its a lame complaint, but record shows/swaps are too early!
    i'd rather go out and have fun the night before than wake up crazy early* in the hopes that there'll be some decently priced worthwhile records at a show.

*really crazy early - i used to try to get to shows by 9 or 10 and even then it was not worth it... asking me to get up at 6 to arrive by 7 is a joke.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    That's actually a good point.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    i'd rather go out and have fun the night before than wake up crazy early* in the hopes that there'll be some decently priced worthwhile records at a show.

Easy solution: don't go to sleep.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    the early bird gets the grail

• As someone who sells on ebay and at record shows, I can say I sell nearly all my more interesting and expensive records on ebay. It would just be pointless to bring that stuff to KUSF. Either no one would buy it or they'd want to buy it at a fraction of ebay prices. Why would I do that? Record shows are good for getting rid of records in the one dollar to 10 dollar range. I'll also bring a box of stuff in the $10-$50 range for the rare instance when a "baller" actually attends the show, or other dealers who can use some decent titles for their store or whatever. But yeah, it's really easy to be cynical and disallusioned about records shows nowadays, both as a dealer and collector.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Thanks for the input so far guys. Just about everything has been helpful although I can't say I agree with 8:30am being too early. To me that's just pure lazy. I have seen earlybirds pull ridiculous heat while all the lazy asses were still asleep but maybe that's just at the SD show I can't say for sure.

I also think it's got a lot to do with digital music, blogs, torrents, etc.. In 2001 the ipod was just being born, myspace didn't exist, and MP3's were not nearly as accessible as they are today. Also with the economy being so bad who has $100+ to drop on medium rare/common records all the time? People are probably saving their $ for the real heat and downloading the rest. If they are DJ's, they probably use dildo to play their downloads.

Whatever the reason(s) may be, it seems to make logical sense why fewer people are attending these days. Unfortunately it doesn't look too good for the future of record shows. No attendance = no revenue = no vendors = no show.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The Seattle shows SUCK, straight up. Same junky dealers with the same junky records everytime.
    I didn't go for about 3 years and decided to go a couple months back, same 'ol same.
    JUNK, JUNK, JUNK...
    If you are a dealer, bring your heat on hand to the show and name your price, at least that might
    generate some excitement, if it doesn't sell no big on to Ebay it goes.
    Shows like the Night Owl are the future, great vibe, great records, younger collectros/dealers who are up on current record trends and don't give a fuck about a cotdamn butcher cover!
    I sold alot of hip hop at fair prices, people were stoked on seeing that believe me.
    It's time to give the 'ol time record show a makeover in your town folks.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Man the last show in Atlanta, the Japanese & European cats were buying anything that had 2 live crew on it with the girls bent over, semi-rare soul records and any hip hop 12'inch!!!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Yo, I just went to a show yesterday that I couldn't get through the door until fucking 10 on the dot. No early admission fee, nothin. I was standing there like a fucking stooge for a good 18 minutes cuz I didn't know shit about this town. The attendance for the show was abysmal too for a city with 300,000 plus people. What the fuck is that all about? Show was fairly tepid raers-wise too, but some decent raers were copped. What gives? Anyone? I'm curious, holleur on it if you got some idea.

Shows are all about PROMOTION. You need to catch the attention of the 30-40 year old B.O. grippeurs.

• People think that I have no interest in records anymore because they never see me out buying it up. I would love to go to a record show and pile it up, but Buena has been cancelled three months in a row and is not happening in July either.

Worst part of it is this: Word on the street says the show is toast because the promoter no longer wants to deal with it anymore. I guess after having three months with no show he realizes that it is not worth the hassel.

I hope someone revives the Orange County show. It is so much fun! Buying private issue all morning long and baking one in the parking lot. I have not even hung with some of my records friends in months because of the death of this show.

A side note is the fact that the Pasadena show now takes place in an underground parking garage. Give me a break.

These two Los Angeles shows were the best monthly shows in the country without a doubt. Now they are hanging on by a thread.

RIP

ap

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    what about all the curious collectrolls you can usually see at record shows? not including ourselves, of course.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    what about all the curious collectrolls you can usually see at record shows? not including ourselves, of course.

Saw this chick at the last Seattle show in white jeans with rainbow Beatles logos ALL OVER THEM.
    Their must been a hundred of them shits!
    I was super glad I didn't wear mine with the matching jean jacket.

Shows like the Night Owl are the future, great vibe, great records, younger collectros/dealers who are up on current record trends and don't give a fuck about a cotdamn butcher cover!

I feel that the SD show has everything you mentioned.
    BTW.. here is a photo from the SD show of a dude who buys ONLY Beatles shit. If you look closely you can see that he is wearing a headlamp and using a magnifier to carefully inspect any Beatles record he might come across. Ironically, this was the same show where some home boy scored Jade (Pesante' label) for $3 at about 9:00am.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I can only speak for the casual listeners, but I don't really see much in waking up hella early on a Saturday or Sunday and paying full price for mediocre records.

Also, I haven't bought a record at my local shop in months. It's getting pretty bad.

I did however, buy Johnnie Taylor- Who's Making Love for 3bucks on ebay.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

besides the BIG shows, which except for wfmu, have also seen a big drop customerwise
    (the ARC shows on either side of the atlantic)
    the only shows with a "buzz" have been the night owl style swaps
    & the events tied into greater events,
    nyc mod weekender,cbgb punk flea market, u of md radio station swap, etc
    &
    a common thread among these young turk shows is =
    #1 not early am/snooze ya looze modus operendi,
    #2 they do not take place in a hotel ballroom, which may be located
    off mass transit lines or near the mall/airport/stadium
    #3 they don't depend on goldmine free listings to "get the word out",
    many are off the radar of g-mine all together & maybe loose a customer
    because of it, but they bring in tons of folks due to on line ads/announcements

also getting a buzz among local deejays & wannabees
    (people who don't wake untill after noon)
    + working with local store & clubs

i could write a book about some of the stuff i've seen
    b/w
    how can there be a monthly show in nyc that sucks so badly
    while there is a monthly practically in the middle of a cornfield in pa
    that is red hot with diggers (atleast untill 9:30 am )

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    T-
    I am gonna assume that there is still consistent heat turning up at that monthly PA/Baltimore show well under market value ...right?

those holiday inn fred fuck NYC shows are the same dudes over and over with high priced stuff.Hell the only time i EVER hit those shows was to TRADE with you.

Wayne is good if I am loading up on common 45s for .50/dolla to flip in europe.
    But other than that ...i do better elsewhere on the DL.

I also thought all the action at wfmu is on the street on Fri morn pre show
    I make it a point that weekend to go extra hard on the obvious fleas because all the heads are at the show.

I would like to hit utrecht and austin someday just for fun.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    T-
    I am gonna assume that there is still consistent heat turning up at that monthly PA/Baltimore show well under market value ...right?

yeah, but the sharp elbows feeding frenzy is unrelenting
    but you can always hit a few crates "first", pa is nicer cause it is much bigger
    but balto always has more better stuff

those holiday inn fred fuck NYC shows are the same dudes over and over with high priced stuff.Hell the only time i EVER hit those shows was to TRADE with you.

I also thought all the action at wfmu is on the street on Fri morn pre show

it is a scene, but i always thought it was over rated (more than half of the dealers in line don't open early & a load of friday dealers arrive from noon-5)
    sunday morning is my fave time to dig @ fmu

I would like to hit utrecht and austin someday just for fun.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

b/w

I would surmise that the folks who set up @ the NYC shows are hard to get over on... they consist of people who know their shit and are going to bring eBay leftovers. Cornfield show always has one or two dealers with heat for cheap. That is what diggers thrive on! WE WANT HEAT FOR CHEAP!

I myself have had it with record shows for awhile. I would much rather enjoy a nice cup of coffee and spend time with my kids than wake up at 4:30 AM and drive 70 miles for a few raers. I'll leave that to the hungrier youngins.

Thanks guys.
    As always I'm just trying to have the best show possible.
    Your input is appreciated. Also I hope nobody minds that I may pass some of this info along to my vendors. Thanks.

-a

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

b/w

I would surmise that the folks who set up @ the NYC shows are hard to get over on... they consist of people who know their shit and are going to bring eBay leftovers. Cornfield show always has one or two dealers with heat for cheap. That is what diggers thrive on! WE WANT HEAT FOR CHEAP!

You know, I find there's a big difference between those that want $75 records for $5, and those that are real happy to get that record for, say, $40. I can totally understand why a dealer might say "well hell, I can get almost double on ebay" but I sell on ebay too, and I would often rather take a bit less and deal with far less hassle. There are a fair number of dealers up and down the east coast who are really fair, score great shit, and are a pleasure to deal with. It's just a shame that most of them won't come up to NYC anymore.

As for the NYC shows, it's not even like that. It's worse. The same stock, from the same guys. In a small room, with the same buyers. Month in, month out. Occasionally, you'll snag a mistake... but why should I trek halfway uptown, damn near over the west side highway, hoping to catch someone's mistake? Early admission is 25 DOLLARS.[/b] Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

There's really only one cat who brings in consistently interesting stock, he sets up after regular admission starts, and you're elbow to elbow with the same dealers who just set up there! THEY are trying to gripp it and flipp it because their shit is sitting. It is a bad scene to say the least.