favorite dr dre production?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
i just heard D.O.C.'s "nobody does it better" for the first time recently, and was like damn...wtf?! its excellent. before u hang me, in my early years i was a rocker and not very into hip hop as extensive as most, just knew about the more popular acts, so i like to check out stuff recommended as i've seen on this site... when i really get into an artist, or listen to all their albums within a related timeframe, i always think about what kind of impact it would have made if all their albums were released within a year, referring to their style compared to the mainstream sound of its time. if you figure people would be like "wtf, you can't pinpoint the song into one style" yet all the songs are sick, then you have yourself a great progressive artist. lots should agree dre is great and if all of his shit came out in one year people would combust..i was always wondering, what's everyone's fav dre production, tune-wise? "natural born killaz" is mine along with the firm's phone tap. I'd like to hear of something that i never paid attention to before. plus i want to make myself a Dr Dre CD for the car.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Xxplosive by far.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    If you haven't heard Above the Law "livin like hustlers" album check that out. Still one of my favorite rap albums.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    i just heard D.O.C.'s "nobody does it better" for the first time recently, and was like damn...wtf?! its excellent.

Damn dude! Did you live in a cave with all the people that never heard of project blowed?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    i just heard D.O.C.'s "nobody does it better" for the first time recently, and was like damn...wtf?! its excellent.

Damn dude! Did you live in a cave with all the people that never heard of project blowed?

dont forget to peep the formula!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    If you haven't heard Above the Law "livin like hustlers" album check that out. Still one of my favorite rap albums.

Indeed...

My 2:

"Always Into Something"

"Deeeez Nuts" (that's gotta be #1 for me)

Honorary: "Bitches Ain't Shit"

• let me ride

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    100 miles and running.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    the beat goes, this one is for you:

http://whitestkids.com/video/hitler.mov

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I just wish someone would reissue the D.O.C. on vinyl, that shit was my walkman joint for a loooong time around '89. Or better yet, I'd like to come up on the OG, but that hasn't happened in 15 years...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    the beat goes, this one is for you:

http://whitestkids.com/video/hitler.mov

lmao, how did the get spiderman dude or the guy from weezer to play hitler?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    JJ Fad - Supersonic

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    let me ride

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Natural Born Killaz

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Very underrated album. Interesting samples from Dre. at that point.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "funky enough" is the obvious choice.

for a semi wild card pick i'll take "the day the niggaz took over", which always requires at least one or two repeats when i put the chronic on.

ps:
    I just wish someone would reissue the D.O.C. on double[/b] vinyl

or most of the non nwa ruthless backcatalog for that matter.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    What's The Meaning (that's the joint from 2001 with Xzhibit and Eminem, right?)
    Doggy Dog World
    Express Yourself
    Deep Cover

• "The Day The Niggaz Took Over"
    "Deeez Nuuutz"
    "A Nigga Wit A Gun"
    "Deep Cover"

and all the obvious

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII CANT BE FADED......

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    "Next Episode". The horn and strings (Axelrod) do it, and in the video, the whole "debauchery" element... I don't even have to hear the entire song, just keep that part looped forever. It somehow makes a simple orchestral passage sound very seedy and sexy at the same time, and that's what makes it work.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Jimmy Z "Funky Flute"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Next Episode". The horn and strings (Axelrod) do it, and in the video, the whole "debauchery" element... I

Ah, if only there were more "debauchery" in rap videos...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Phone Tap.
    It's funky enough.
    She Swallowed it.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    thanks as always for the recomendations, just checked a few tracks by above the law christ that murder rap tune is sooooooo tight, sheit i missed out on a lot.

ps: does anyone know what became of that supposed dre collaboration with burt bacharach? i would honestly love to hear this as burt has a great melodic ear and im sure dre would do interesting things.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    all my favorite Dre tracks were produced by Daz

• efil4zaggin

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    "Next Episode". The horn and strings (Axelrod) do it, and in the video, the whole "debauchery" element... I

Ah, if only there were more "debauchery" in rap videos...

There aren't many. Too much emphasis on the flaunting and teasing, but that video looked like the most seediest place on Earth, and who wouldn't want to spend some time there? Was that directed by Hype Williams, because those slow motion pan shots is what helped too. Very cinematic, made to look like those classic films from the 70's. Compare that to what Dre was doing with "Nuthin' But A G Thang" and "Dre Day". That was far from just getting friends in a parking lot and starting the cameras.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Automobile

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    all my favorite Dre tracks were produced by Scott Storch and Mel-Man