is FISH good?

2»

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    yes fish is good, but what's the best is a whole fish dude. If you can get your hands on it a grilled entire fish is awesome, head on and all. I don't understand why n. americans freak out when fish is served w/ head on. The best meat is found in the fish cheek, so let me at it w/ the head prease....

a lot of people are talking about grilling fish. That's best saved for fatty/thick cuts like salmon and tuna, more delicate fish like cod should not be grilled.

As with anything, I believe in a balanced diet, a little combo of meat, fish and veggies will do you good. Although there definitely is a problem w/ overfishing, especially the instatiable demand for tuna.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    yes fish is good, but what's the best is a whole fish dude. If you can get your hands on it a grilled entire fish is awesome, head on and all. I don't understand why n. americans freak out when fish is served w/ head on. The best meat is found in the fish cheek, so let me at it w/ the head prease....

Quite true (both full + fish cheek) - cookin' w/ bones intact always lends flavor (true for seafood + animal meat); there's a pretty big gulf b/w food in its raw state versus styrofoam-backed saran wrapped packages to be found in one's supermarket and this disconnect is disconcerting at times when people flinch at seein' a full chicken or the like... Have developed a good rapport w/ the local fishmonger and he will steer me to the freshest catches of the day whenever I turn up...

Although not a fan of his, saw clips of Jamie Oliver's 'School Dinners' program which focused on the unhealthy diet school kids in the UK feast on - turkey twizzlers, pizza (and I ain't talkin' Napolitana + Margarita - best pizza I've ever been privy to was in Naples - thin crust - tomato sauce + basil + a little salt + pepper -> didn't need anythin' else 'cause the flavors were so robust), fries, burgers (that resembled sawdust bricks), etc.... Disheartening - and I just heard that China is lookin' at 200 million people bein' overweight w/ a large %age of them obese, a lot owin' to a developed/Western diet w/ a heavy emphasis on animal meat consumption (via McDonald's/etc.)...

And A - thanks for the hookup re: fish chowder recipe!

• Options
    yes fish is good, but what's the best is a whole fish dude. If you can get your hands on it a grilled entire fish is awesome, head on and all. I don't understand why n. americans freak out when fish is served w/ head on. The best meat is found in the fish cheek, so let me at it w/ the head prease...

Besides all of the different ways I have had fish at home, the single best fishmeal I ever ate was a red snapper served whole at one of the spots in the Fish Fry area in Nassau, Bahamas right near where the cruise boats are. It was cooked perfectly, and knocked out of the top spot a blackpepper crusted seared tuna with wasabi that I had in Key West.

Although there definitely is a problem w/ overfishing

Know what's funny about this, and it refers back to the fish being served whole. I was eating at a spot in Williamsburg last year, I think it was on N.6th street. One of the specials was a striped bass served whole. I asked the guy, are you sure that the bass is werved whole, he said yeah and then went on to explain that it was cooked and served with the head on and all of that. I asked him, how are you going to bring a 28 inch fish out on a plate? He looked at me and said "Huh? Nah, it's way smaller than that." In New York it's waaay illegal to keep a striped bass shorter than 28 inches, the fine is somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-1000 bucks.

To put that in some perspective, this one was 36 inches.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Nice catch, Sween!
    BTW, "Fish" is good. One of my favorite cuts on the "Ironman" lp.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again..........your dog is awesome.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    cool. i did not know the fish cheek was the best part. thanks for dropping knowledge! stein. . .

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    lots of people eat them eyes but I can't stomach that

re: fish tho, I'm a fan, primarily of the freshly caught stuff - my dad has a boat and I've been on many trips back in NZ with him in the waters pictured below. Loads of snappers down there - last time I was out a few months back I pulled in a baby shark about a metre long - a ferocious bugger it was too

on overfishing, a few years back I was in Italy and as it was my last night with the folks I decided to get the fish. Over there you pay for fish in restaurants by the weight - thus the waiter brought the fish to the table and I got to choose if I wanted one or two, they were so small I almost baulked .. not much flesh on those small ones, the meal wasn't very tasty ..

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    on overfishing, a few years back I was in Italy and as it was my last night with the folks I decided to get the fish. Over there you pay for fish in restaurants by the weight - thus the waiter brought the fish to the table and I got to choose if I wanted one or two, they were so small I almost baulked .. not much flesh on those small ones, the meal wasn't very tasty ..

Soy fish...

Hey, if they can do soy chicken...

Seriously, if soy shit drops in price to get anywhere near meat I'm all over it.

Or if i become rich.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    hey twoply. turntablist is a real tricky term huh? i consider myself an old school dj. i'm pretty confident in my scratching(been doin' it since 87) but i spend most of my time searching for samples and making beats. i only dj a few times a month if i'm not on tour. so i prefer to leave the title "turntablist" to cats that dj full time. peace, stein. . .