FUNNY THING (Still Tippin Related)

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yes, along the lines of "I've been a musician for 20 years and I'm sick of people thinking I couldn't create that ish without out-sourced samples".

I don't think anybody's questioning his abilities as a musician, though; they're questioning the ability of his keyboards to make those sounds.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Not only was he miffed that someone accused him of sampling the loop

OK, why is he "miffed" about it, and why does he take it as an accusation? It's not as though people who were feeling the beat are all of a sudden saying, "Aww, he sampled that shit? Fuck that. That shit is wack now." Is there an "I don't sample" pride that I'm not hip to?

Yes, along the lines of "I've been a musician for 20 years and I'm sick of people thinking I couldn't create that ish without out-sourced samples".

He prides himself on sampling himself...end of story.

Yeah, that "I dont sample" pride thing is weird. I cant even count how many producers have tried to be bragging to me about that when im hearing obvious samples in their shit.

I have no doubt that he could have played that line. I mean, its pretty fucking easy. Its just that I dont think that he did.

Honestly I always figured he cribbed it off of some sort of string sample cd or something. Again, not that it makes the beat any less hot. And not like I give a fuck that he wants to take credit for G.Rossililinii or whatever dudes name is.

And its kind of funny him being like "Bitch, i dont even listen to classical!"

In any case, I think hes a sick producer. So tell him the geniuses on the internet very much appreciate his work. But I still think thats a sample.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

I don't think anybody's questioning his abilities as a musician, though; they're questioning the ability of his keyboards to make those sounds.

Question that all you want...still doesn't make what you were wrong about the other day correct today.

All I can keep saying is listen again...they're not the same.

When I listened to the snip the other day by itself I was as convinced as some of y'all. But last night after talking to Salih, Ishaq, and Cynthia and still not being completely convinced, I listened very carefully to the Still Tippin instrumental then the snip then the instrumental then the snip...they're not the same.

This all reminds me of when folks "discovered" the wrong "Hijack" sample used by the Beatnuts ten times before the real source was finally unearthed.

Dude above even said "I thought this was already common knowledge"...paleez.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Question that all you want...still doesn't make what you were wrong about the other day correct today.

When I listened to the snip the other day by itself I was as convinced as some of y'all. But last night after talking to Salih, Ishaq, and Cynthia and still not being completely convinced, I listened very carefully to the Still Tippin instrumental then the snip then the instrumental then the snip...they're not the same.

This all reminds me of when folks "discovered" the wrong "Hijack" sample used by the Beatnuts ten times before the real source was finally unearthed.

whatever. find out what keyboard that is then. please.

Honestly, its what? like 7 notes? Id be more impressed if he had sampled it.

I wasn't the one that said it at all, 'Chid; I was just trying to clarify for you what I believe other people were saying.

I don't really have a strong opinion on this one way or the other.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    he doesn't listen to classical music...ever.

He'd never heard of Clockwork Orange, let alone Rossini.
    Wow, my esteem for him grows and grows...

along the lines of "I've been a hack w/ no appreciation or knowledge of whole genres of music my whole life." PALEAZE, What the hell kind of "musician" has NEVER hear of Rossini, William Tell overture (I mean I'm assuming he watched cartoons as a kid) or Clockwork orange. This guy sounds about this well rounded:

I really do like the beat though, and think it's hot as hell. Also, did it ever occur to ya'll that there are 100's of performances of this piece and it could have been sampled from any one of them not just the one posted? Every violin sounds different, as does every recording.

he doesn't listen to classical music...ever.

He'd never heard of Clockwork Orange, let alone Rossini.
    Wow, my esteem for him grows and grows...

along the lines of "I've been a hack w/ no appreciation or knowledge of whole genres of music my whole life." PALEAZE, What the hell kind of "musician" has NEVER hear of Rossini, William Tell overture (I mean I'm assuming he watched cartoons as a kid) or Clockwork orange. This guy sounds about this well rounded:

Typical soulstrut.

Typical soulstrut.
    why? b/c I feel a MUSICian of 20 years should at least have a rudementary knowlede of classical MUSIC?

Typical soulstrut.
    why? b/c I feel a MUSICian of 20 years should at least have a rudementary knowlede of classical MUSIC?

Yes.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    yeh its interesting that he gets upset and offended when people thinks he sampled something because he is a musician of 20 years... and then goes on to disregard a whole music genre as his defense? Anyway this argument is dumb anyway because it doesn't really matter...

note to all musician: do not branch out from your minute sphere of interest, please don't study any music you yourself do not create. As a mater of fact run from knowledge that is the way to improve your craft. Then you can continue to be impressed w/ your own 6 note compositions. In plain english, he ought to be embarased to admit he has never hear of the William Tell Overture and he's cliaiming to be a musician of 20 years. That is fuckin' rediculous!! How many Bugs Bunny cartoons is this in?

Anyway this argument is dumb anyway because it doesn't really matter...

true

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    it was a sampling keyboard...there mystery solved.

LOL

note to all musician: do not branch out from your minute sphere of interest, please don't study any music you yourself do not create. As a mater of fact run from knowledge that is the way to improve your craft. Then you can continue to be impressed w/ your own 6 note compositions. In plain english, he ought to be embarased to admit he has never hear of the William Tell Overture and he's cliaiming to be a musician of 20 years. That is fuckin' rediculous!! How many Bugs Bunny cartoons is this in?

You are an idiot.

Salih has shown some sort of range just with Big Moe's Purple Stuff, Wreckshop's Power Up, Swishahouse's Still Tippin, Paul Wall's Sittin Sideways, and Mike Jones' Back Then, among others.

He came up on Texas r-n-b and is obviously doing just fine for himself now.

What the fuck good would it do him to study classical European music if more importantly than anything esle HE DOESN"T HAVE A PERSONAL INTEREST IN IT???

He's supposed to do it just so some jackass online will not look down on him and his obviously incredible work???

As far as I'm concerned, Salih is making classical music...classic downhome soulful Texas rap music.

Whatever the fuck happened in Copenhagen 150+ years ago I can't really speak on.

Point being, save your own personal standards for your own damned personal self.

He played it, recorded it, then looped it with effects added.

There was no mystery to begin with...except for which keyboard he used.

Who did he sample for the organ loop on Back Then?

Must have been this guy:

Archaic all I can say is I'm glad you are not a school teacher. The above post was probably some of the most ignorant drivel I have ever read from you, and you've got some killers. Study of classical music has proven itself important and valuable time and time again. Especially classical theory. Any musician can benefit from it, just ask one that's not so closed minded. You sound just like a little kid "But I don't wanna, I don't like it." Too bad it's good for ya, now shut the fuck up and eat your spinich.

• Don't you spend most of your time trying to convince others that your own personal standards are the basis by which all other logical thought should be judged? I mean, no one else is allowed to criticize anything you personally hold dear. If I were to say Big Moe Purple stuff is bullshit, as an example, because it has nothing to do with my daily life, how exactly is that different from him doing it with classical music? please enlighten me.

Archaic all I can say is I'm glad you are not a school teacher. The above post was probably some of the most ignorant drivel I have ever read from you, and you've got some killers. Study of classical music has proven itself important and valuable time and time again. Especially classical theory. Any musician can benefit from it, just ask one that's not so closed minded. You sound just like a little kid "But I don't wanna, I don't like it." Too bad it's good for ya, now shut the fuck up and eat your spinich.

Oops, looks like I'll be teaching high school in the Fall.

Of course any musician COULD benfit from studying classical music...but it ain't like it's the end-all, be-all requirement to good musicianship.

Funny thing is that there was just a SWAC-styled marching band competition here in town for Juneteenth this past weekend with bands from Houston, Dallas, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and Memphis in tow. There was LOTS of talk about how the Austin all-star band would be at a disadvantage because UIL requires that its memeber school's music curriculum stick so stringently to classical and American standards formats. And hell if it didn't show on the field Friday and Saturday nights.

In this case you're like the white dude arguing that there's not enough white history being taught in schools...

Don't you spend most of your time trying to convince others that your own personal standards are the basis by which all other logical thought should be judged? I mean, no one else is allowed to criticize anything you personally hold dear. If I were to say Big Moe Purple stuff is bullshit, as an example, because it has nothing to do with my daily life, how exactly is that different from him doing it with classical music? please enlighten me.

If people take the time to even listen to what I like (for instance, the new CVE album), I do take constructive and even hateful criticism and consider it seriously. But instead (the cases where you seem to think I reject criticism wholesale) it's a matter of folks talking out of their asses about something that they've never heard complete with sweeping generalizations that make little sense.

The statement that a rap producer or r-n-b artist MUST study classical music in order to be an effective rap producer or r-n-b artist is simply NOT TRUE.

In certain cases it can certainly help...but c'mon already, it's not like you hear a good song at a concert and then run up to the band in order to hold out on drawing an opinion on the song until the band explains their understanding of classical music theory/history.

Salih didn't say he hates classical music. He only said he doesn't listen to it.

I am trully sad for you Archic, your ignorance and arrogance are blinding you. I do not hold classical music above others, as a matter of fact I'm not a big fan . I just feel it has a place and sould not be overlooked/ignored/scoffed at/ by any open minded musician. I hope you don't put too many blinders on young eyes in your tennure as teacher.

I don't think he was stating that as a musician if you don't know and understand or study classical music then you might as well give up... I think he is referring to your quote along the lines of I hate and never listen to classical music which if that is what he really said then as a musician he is missing out on a whole genre of music that he could probably benefit from knowing. I by no means consider myself a musician but just through living I have leaerned to appreciate genres of music for what they bring to the table even if its not my every day listening choice. I don't think anyone is disregarding his abilities as a musican and beatsmith... Its just a curious comment coming from a musician of 20 years.

Are y'all really that dense?

Salih only said he never listens to classical msuic in the context of "these dudes are saying you sampled a classical piece". It wasn't a critique or turned-up nose against classical music as y'all's wet panties are telling you. It was merely a fact: "I don't even listen to classical music".

Leave it to y'all to turn that into a chance to turn your own noses up.

Salih only said he never listens to classical msuic in the context of "these dudes are saying you sampled a classical piece". It wasn't a critique or turned-up nose against classical music as y'all's wet panties are telling you. It was merely a fact: "I don't even listen to classical music".

This statement leads me to believe that he never listened to Classical music

Archaic Quote: he maintained that he doesn't listen to classical music...ever.

Ever is meaning... ever... which is what I find curious as that is a pretty broad statement to make... details I guess, and maybe we are misinterpretting what you mean because it doesn't come across in a message board format...

This statement leads me to believe that he never listened to Classical music

Archaic Quote: he maintained that he doesn't listen to classical music...ever.

Ever is meaning... ever... which is what I find curious as that is a pretty broad statement to make... details I guess, and maybe we are misinterpretting what you mean because it doesn't come across in a message board format...

Surely he hears it...but he doesn't listen to it as far as playing classical records/cd's for himself...ever.

He's physically not gonna be able to sample something just by hearing it in an elevator.

Sheesh.

You are an idiot.

Salih has shown some sort of range just with Big Moe's Purple Stuff, Wreckshop's Power Up, Swishahouse's Still Tippin, Paul Wall's Sittin Sideways, and Mike Jones' Back Then, among others.

What the fuck good would it do him to study classical European music if more importantly than anything esle HE DOESN"T HAVE A PERSONAL INTEREST IN IT???

He's supposed to do it just so some jackass online will not look down on him and his obviously incredible work???

As far as I'm concerned, Salih is making classical music...classic downhome soulful Texas rap music.

Whatever the fuck happened in Copenhagen 150+ years ago I can't really speak on.

Point being, save your own personal standards for your own damned personal self.

I think I agree with every word Archaic said here.

Archaic + faux_rillz = the new SoulStrut tagteam

WE ARE READY FOR YOU EUROCENTRIC TERDS!

You are an idiot.

I think I agree with every word Archaic said here.

Archaic + faux_rillz = the new SoulStrut tagteam

WE ARE READY FOR YOU EUROCENTRIC TERDS!

If you and I ever joined forces for something...watch out, world.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    ok so I was listening to the 12" last night...and I realized something even funnier...

The b-side of this 12" samples a classical song. haha.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts