FUNNY THING (Still Tippin Related)

izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
As i was browsing thru ringtones sites, here's what i found :
http://www.free-ringtones.eu.com/free-ringtone-905-Gioacchino_Rossini-William_Tell_Overture.htm

Mike Jones in the house???

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    http://uk.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1284639

maybe y'all didn't see where i was goin'...peep the first track conducted by Scholz. Here's a snip : HERE

now im hot, all hoes on me

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    so the sample for still tippin is william tell overture! How were we supposed to get that from the snippit of ringtone?

congrats on finding that too...

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    The violin sample from "Still Tippin" was played on a keyboard by Salih Williams and then looped with what he calls "a little crunch added to it".

ahem...that's not what the snippet says...

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I see a lawsuit coming from james newton... those three vilin notes. MINE!

yeah archaic, that snippet pretty much proves that keyboard statement wrong.

no, correct me if i'm wrong...but it's a Rossini piece written around 18??...It should fall in the Public Domain category. Dude still can't claim he "invented" the notes suite, but he shouldn't be worried by copyright infridgement...

this topic should be erased if not...

Y'all are calling Salih Williams a liar with this, just so y'all know.

Personally I don't see why y'all think it would be so hard for him to replay the 3 notes...if it is indeed the case that he discovered them by way of Rossini.

I'm going to try to call him and ask him again some time this week.

i never said he wasn't able to play it over dood.

But my knowledges in "classica musica" let me further know that he didn't play it himself tho'...there's some stuffs that you can't hardly reproduce at home. but that don't pull away props or anything...The beat is still ill.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Personally I don't see why y'all think it would be so hard for him to replay the 3 notes...if it is indeed the case that he discovered them by way of Rossini.

Dude you are acting like producers don't lie ALL.THE.TIME about where they get beats from.

Is it impossible that Mr. Williams lied to you?

Without having any vested interest (one of the best beats in recent memory), I always thought it was a sample based on the sound. Keyboards just don't make that kind of sound.

where's your store bro'...i might pay you a visit this fall. ;-)

• awallawall 673 Posts
    so the sample for still tippin is william tell overture!

i always just kind of assumed that this was known. i noticed it a while ago when I was watching clockwork orange.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Keyboards just don't make that kind of sound.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Keyboards just don't make that kind of sound.

Salih might have played the piano that follows the string sample, but seriously.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Still not tippin'...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Salih might have played the piano that follows the string sample.

exactly what i was thinking....the strings are sampled but the piano part sounds played

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Dude, you're unintentionally hilarious. But what happens when you call Mike Jones?because I can totally picture this whole "who's on first" scenario

Archaic: Hi, Can I speak to Mike Jones?
    Mike Jones: Who?
    Archaic: Mike Jones
    Mike Jones: WHO!??!?
    ARCHAIC: MIKE JONES!
    Mike Jones: Hey! No need to yell, my phone was cutting off. Now who do you want to talk to?
    Archaic: Mike Jones
    MikeJones: WHO?!?!?!?

*Archaic slaps forhead and thinks 'damit why coudn't I be a martyr for some other micro-genre

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

*Archaic slaps forhead and SAYS 'dammit I AM THE ULTIMATE HERO for EVERY BLOWEDIAN---->SOUTH micro-genre

I KEED

yo dood call Salih and ask him, saying

I wanna know the truth and I'm sure a couple dudes reading this from England and Germany wanna know, too

saying

But what happens when you call Mike Jones?
    *trodode* "were sorry your call did not go through, please try again" Has anyone been able to get through recently? I try every now and then from work and no luck.

I visited Salih Williams' office/studio today and while there I let him know that some geniuses on the internet are so very sure that he sampled Rossini's Willaim Tell Overture for the violin loop on Still Tippin.

I pressed that I listened to the said source and it's pretty close.

I was met with complete denial. He even felt insulted.

I listened to the said source again tonight...he ain't lying.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    denial.

The saga continues...

(edit: kidding)

I gotta up this to help ward off the RUMOR that Salih used a sample for that violin loop. Seriously, listen again.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I gotta up this to help ward off the RUMOR that Salih used a sample for that violin loop. Seriously, listen again.

what kind of keyboard did he play it on then? cause that shit sounds exactly like it. Producers love to lie about that shit.

whatever, if it is played, I wanna know what keyboard has a solo violin that good.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

what kind of keyboard did he play it on then? cause that shit sounds exactly like it. Producers love to lie about that shit.

This would be the part where Archaic offers to defend the honor of Salih Williams with his fists.

Also:

whatever, if it is played, I wanna know what keyboard has a solo violin that good.

It doesn't sound just like it...listen again.

Not only was he miffed that someone accused him of sampling the loop, but he maintained that he doesn't listen to classical music...ever.

He'd never heard of Clockwork Orange, let alone Rossini.

Not sure what kind of keyboard he used...I'll ask him next time.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Not only was he miffed that someone accused him of sampling the loop

OK, why is he "miffed" about it, and why does he take it as an accusation? It's not as though people who were feeling the beat are all of a sudden saying, "Aww, he sampled that shit? Fuck that. That shit is wack now." Is there an "I don't sample" pride that I'm not hip to?

OK, why is he "miffed" about it, and why does he take it as an accusation? It's not as though people who were feeling the beat are all of a sudden saying, "Aww, he sampled that shit? Fuck that. That shit is wack now." Is there an "I don't sample" pride that I'm not hip to?

Yes, along the lines of "I've been a musician for 20 years and I'm sick of people thinking I couldn't create that ish without out-sourced samples".

He prides himself on sampling himself...end of story.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Not only was he miffed that someone accused him of sampling the loop, but he maintained that he doesn't listen to classical music...ever.

Yo, me neither--when I'm at the movies or some sh!t and I hear those classical violins swelling on the soundtrack, I slap on a pair of earmuffs and run out to the lobby.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yes, along the lines of "I've been a musician for 20 years and I'm sick of people thinking I couldn't create that ish without out-sourced samples".

He prides himself on sampling himself...end of story.

OK, I can understand that. Thanks.