Racism goes on trial again in America's Deep South

2»

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Scary how people's worlds are so small. This IS the 21st Century right?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    you have reading comprehension issues

No, I really don't.....like ODub said above, there are varying opinions on this. I didn't hallucinate or make up the shit below.[/b]

Police Chief Sterling Owen IV said that there is no indication the crimes were racially motivatedThe father of Chris Newsom said he didn't believe the murders started out as race-motivated crimes. "I don't think it started out that way but from all indications we have, it developed into that," [/b] Hugh Newsom said.

it was covered by the national media the same way most rape/murders are; a brief piece in AP, unless something spectacular happens behind it

It was given BIG coverage here mainly because it was a kidnap/torture with all the juicy penis dismemberment and titty disfigurement that sells papers.
    THERE WAS NO PENIS DISMEMBERMENT. REREAD MY POST

i also find conjecture from the victim's father to hardly be an example of hardhitting evidence.

From your link, and what was reported when the crime occurred....

"One media report has suggested that prior to their deaths Newsom's penis was severed and one or both of Christian's breasts were cut off."

THIS is what was reported....do I need to go find archive articles??

NOTHING should distract anyone from the heinous crimes that were committed and all anyone should care about is that these people are punished. do you normally treat klan literature as a legitimate source?

"Claims made over the Internet that the couple were sexually mutilated are absolutely not true," said John Gill, special assistant to District Attorney Randy Nichols.
    "Claims made over the Internet that the couple were sexually mutilated are absolutely not true," said John Gill, special assistant to District Attorney Randy Nichols.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rock doesn't care where his sources come from so long as they support whatever argument he's chasing after.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Deej,
    What part of what I'm satying do you not get??

1) Contrary to your claim, this story WAS covered nationally and got more attention than most rape/kidnap/murders because from the outset, there were at least rumors of horrible torture including anal rape of the young male victim, torture including the force feeding of cleaning chemicals by not ONE very sick person but FIVE. That alone makes this NOT your "average case".

2) Most of the early articles written about this crime insinuated that there was sexual torture. From James Lilly's article(1/16-07) that spelled it out in detail to the Police Chiefs disclaimer that "They would not discuss the condition of the bodies" this was not your "normal" murder case. Murders happen every day and rarely(if ever) do these kind of "rumors" pop up. Are you suggesting that these heinous claims were made up BECAUSE the victims were white and the criminals black? If so I'd love to see some reasonable proof of it.

3) This is a HATE crime, more hateful than most crimes I've read about. Whether or not a racial slur was used during the crime doesn't make it any less hateful.

4) Pulling the KKK card was next level.

Rock doesn't care where his sources come from so long as they support whatever argument he's chasing after.

Yeah....I often quote the KKK as my "facts"

You're a trip......it's your duty to keep commenting about me...I love it.

ODub,

Which one of my "sources" are you questioning??

Name names or your soft.

If anyone is interested in this case just Google search and you'll find volumes.

Unless of course you want to take a Wikipedia link that was posted here originally and take that as the gospel truth.

I'm done on this one.....I hope the folks that killed those two people get what they deserve.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    If anyone is interested in this case just Google search and you'll find volumes.

Unless of course you want to take a Wikipedia link that was posted here originally and take that as the gospel truth.

I'm done on this one.....I hope the folks that killed those two people get what they deserve.

If quotes from the assistant DA are not good enough for you, what is?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

If quotes from the assistant DA are not good enough for you, what is?

Seriously, just leave this alone. Rock's made his "point" (not that I know what it was supposed to be) and he's said "he's out." Let's celebrate that and stay back on the OG topic.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    whats funny is that his point about national coverage is actually something i agree with sort of! the national coverage was about reasonable for the crime committed, until recently when a bunch of white power hate group started using the case a clumsy stick w/ which to bash national mainstream media

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think there is lots about this story that are uniquely small town South.

I have been to Idaho. Since forcing the neo-nazis out Idaho has been working hard on rehabilitating it's image.

The story in the Guardian starts with a story about a tree that Black students are not allowed to sit under. I think that is uniquely Southern. Of course I went to segragated schools, so maybe I am wrong.

Students cars all having guns. Again, sounds South to me.

Nooses? SSTM.

Maybe I've got it all wrong, but racism looks different here to me.

Just to amplify the subject a little. I had a friend whos dad worked for Lousiana Pacific and lived in lots of little Lousiana towns growing up in the 80s. In each new school he would be placed in the "advanced" class. The "advanced" class was not for the smart kids, it was for the kids who were from RICH White familys. Does this happen in Bensonhurst? Well no, bad example, RICH White kids don't go to public schools in Bensonhurst. Still.

Anyway, we can all agree that racism is alive and well in Jena and across America.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts

Local activists say that this wave of problems started last September when Black high school students asked for permission to sit under a tree at an area of the high school that had, traditionally, been used only by white students. The next day, three nooses were hanging from the tree.

The following week, Black students staged a protest under the tree. At a school assembly soon after, Jena district attorney Reed Walters, appearing with local police officers, warned Black students against further unrest. "I can make your lives disappear with a stroke of my pen,"[/b] he threatened.
    I missed this quote the first time around. What is wrong with this man? Who speaks like that to children who assembled to protest an injustice?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Local activists say that this wave of problems started last September when Black high school students asked for permission to sit under a tree at an area of the high school that had, traditionally, been used only by white students. The next day, three nooses were hanging from the tree.

The following week, Black students staged a protest under the tree. At a school assembly soon after, Jena district attorney Reed Walters, appearing with local police officers, warned Black students against further unrest. "I can make your lives disappear with a stroke of my pen,"[/b] he threatened.
    I missed this quote the first time around. What is wrong with this man? Who speaks like that to
    children who assembled to protest an injustice?

district attorney Reed Walters of Jena LA.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I missed this quote the first time around. What is wrong with this man? Who speaks like that to
    children who assembled to protest an injustice?

district attorney Reed Walters of Jena LA.

aka this fucking guy

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

aka this fucking guy

Even the photo looks like it's from 1962.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "I can make your lives disappear with a stroke of my pen,"[/b] he threatened.

The district attorney then proceeded to deliver what he refered to as a "hot sixteen" and hand this reporter his recent mixtape.

O U GOT THE CAL ON U REED WALTERZ?