healthstrut - recipes

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
aight so ive been eating real healthy for like 3 months. What are some meals that you make that are pretty banging but on the healthy side. Like lots of fiber, protein, mono and poly unsaturated fats, etc...tonight i made a pita pizza. 1 whole grain pita2 turkey sausage1 cup all natural pizza sauce1/2 cup to a cup of 2% Moz cheezesprinkle paramasnbasically turn the oven onto put the sauce on the pita, throw the cheese on, top with the sausage, throw the parm cheese on it, and i throw ground flax seed on it also (flax is one of the healthiess things that you can add to almost anything, from beef to ceral. It has like this nutty flavor which is pretty good. Shit is awesome for your body though). Let it sit in there for 8 mins and its done. just finished eating this shit and it was damn good. I got some more banging meals but im too lazy to type them at the moment. whats good?

Comments

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Chicken and brown rice with lots of lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, basil.

Also lots of fish: salmon steaks especially.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

Probably not that healthy, but there's an awesome torrent out there with 2 masked chefs named Hans who show you how to make sinsemillian megabutter and sinsemillian megacooking oil. They do a gourmet salmon steak with marihuana leaf garnish. Looks real fucken tasty, been wanting to have a crack at it.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    BASMATI RICE is the truth!

i've been eating pakistan basmati rice for almost 6 months now and i'm lovin em!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Soulstrut, thank you for being the place that combines healthy-eating recipes and Cash Money album cover art.

I am eagerly awaiting the coming farmer's markets for all of That Fresh Shit.

I have been a bit lazy on the healthy cooking front -- made some chicken mole on Saturday but probably not all that healthy.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    this summer is all about the mahi mahi fish taco with mango salsa. i haven't made it yet, but I will. i never liked fish tacos or even fish really up until a few months ago. now I can't get enough. spicy tuna roll sushi is good too.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    mango salsa

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

DJ Day's "Got To Eat It Right" (artwork by Mike2600)

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    This is all I need to stay healthy, no cooking required:

Larabar

If you want to cook something healthy quick and cheap, get a packet of chicken breasts, marinade in half cup yogurt and your choice of indian spices (I go with garam masala, cumin, coriander, white and black pepper), leave in the fridge overnight, then bake at 375 degrees for abt 30-40 minutes. eat with that basmati rice or slice it up with red onions, tomatoes, cilantro and some chunky chat masala in a whole wheat tortilla wrap for an indian style meal. delish.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If you want to cook something healthy quick and cheap, get a packet of chicken breasts, marinade in half cup yogurt and your choice of indian spices (I go with garam masala, cumin, coriander, white and black pepper), leave in the fridge overnight, then bake at 375 degrees for abt 30-40 minutes.

The Breasts better be Organic/Free Range. Be sure to squeeze some fresh lemon juice in the marinade.
    And the yogurt should be drained overnight. Add Red dye to the mix for that "authentic" Tandoori steez, even though you dont have a clay oven.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    The Breasts better be Organic/Free Range. Be sure to squeeze some fresh lemon juice in the marinade.
    And the yogurt should be drained overnight. Add Red dye to the mix for that "authentic" Tandoori steez, even though you dont have a clay oven.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i like simple, easy to make stuff.
    today for lunch: whole wheat tortilla wrap with some good cheese, toasted for 2 minutes, then i through on a lot of local spring mix and some salsa. delicious.

whole wheat pasta with marinara sauce is key. cheap too. splurge on good quality parmigiano

experiment with other grains. my ol girl used to cook some barley up lovely. amaranth and quinua are other interesting and very healthy grainss. nice with some asparagus or fish or whatev.

bake sweet potatoes with olive oil drizzled on top as well as salt and rosemary. 400 degrees (nojuvenile) for 30 minutes, depending on thickness of the cuts.

broccoli rabe, boiled or steamed for a minute or two and then sauted with garl;ic and olive oil. add sharp provolone and put on a nice whole grain roll. the best!

stirfrys are so easy and so dope. for a sauce, mix soysauce, honey, ginger, touch of rice vinegar(any vinegar will do really). leave veggies bite size and slightly crunchy.

those swedish crackers...wasa,etc. are a great addition to any diet. eat them with slices of cheese and drops of tabasco. use them as bread. dip em in guacamole.

speaking of which, dont buy guacamole. just get a nice avocado, ad some chopped onions, a touch of garlic, some lime (or lemon or vinegar) lil salt... so easy. so dope.

black bean dip...easy recipe: saute a small onion and a clove or two of garlic. add a rinsed can of black beans. add chili powder and cumin (crucial) and a touch of salt. heat, blend in food processor. add a touch of water to blender to whip up the dip and make it fluffier. you can add some grated cheddar on top, but not necesary. this shit is slamming.

if you eat meat, work some lean beef and cabbage into your diet. cabbage is king

the fact that you are cooking your own food is the biggest success in a healthy diet. good work. have fun. invite girls over

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    y'all need to fuck with some broccolini this summer, that shit is the best.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    edamame salad

I always can eat the hell out of this. It's just a refreshing salad tossed with boiled soybeans, pieces of seaweed, mountain vegetables (an exotic Japanese vegetable blend), bell peppers, red chili peppers, and sesame seeds.

spinach salad with strawberries

So good with a little goat cheese and nuts...mmmm...

And of course... SASHIMI!!

On the subject of high mercury...I eat lots of salmon (raw and cooked, mostly raw). Can you check your mercury levels, and how??

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    with salmon you need to worry about pcb's more so than mercury. Eating wild salmon will help reduce those risks. It tastes better but will cost a lot more.

Worth it though.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    the fact that you are cooking your own food is the biggest success in a healthy diet. good work. have fun. invite girls over

exactly.

eat vegetables. eat whole grain foods when you can. but don't trip. eat meat too if you like it. use butter once in a while. make it taste good. when you start cooking and really enjoying the food you eat, the healthier your diet will be.

and support local farmers if you can. it's better for human life on this planet.

with salmon you need to worry about pcb's more so than mercury. Eating wild salmon will help reduce those risks. It tastes better but will cost a lot more.

Worth it though.

another reason to eat wild fish is that the high levels of "omega 3 fatty acids" found in salmon, mackerel, bluefish, etc., (which supposedly aid in the prevention of heart disease and certain cancers) are not produced in farm raised fish. fish cultivators have yet to replicate the natural foodsource/diet responsible for creating these compounds in significant quantities in current aquaculture environments.

On the subject of high mercury...I eat lots of salmon (raw and cooked, mostly raw). Can you check your mercury levels, and how??

don't quote me, but i think it's extremely difficult to reach an unsafe level of mercury in your body through regular food consumtion. unless eating fish for primary to exclusive sustenance is how you roll, i don't think you need to worry. i believe people living in tropical island environments have the highest statistical levels of mercury in their bodies, but on average those levels are lower than the what the united states determines to be safe. for whatever that's worth. but anyway, i would worry about a lot of other things before mercury poisoning.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    My homegirl is coming over tomorrow night and I'm cooking homemade miso soup and thai red curry, all vegan. Then we're going out drinking.

No really.

use more than 2 kinds of miso or you're soft

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    use more than 2 kinds of miso or you're soft

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Miso-Soup-I/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS

* 2 1/4 cups water
    * 2 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
    * 1 tablespoon light miso paste
    * 2 teaspoons barley miso paste
    * 1/2 cup fresh spinach, washed and chopped
    * 1 green onion, thinly sliced
    - sliced mushrooms

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Ladle out
    about 1/2 cup of the boiling water, and reserve. Add tofu. Reduce the
    heat to medium, cover, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add spinach or
    bok choy; simmer about 1 to 2 minutes, or until the greens are
    tender. Remove soup from heat.
    2. Blend white miso and barley miso into reserved hot water. Stir
    into soup. Ladle into bowls, and garnish with scallion. Serve
    immediately.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    The Thai Green Reality:

You will need:

Thai Green Curry Paste
    Coconut Milk (1 can - light if you want healthier)
    Peeled and cooked prawns for 2 people
    1 green chilli
    2 birds eye chills
    Fresh corriander
    2 x Kaffir lime leaves
    Fish sauce.
    Lime juice.
    Palm or brown sugar.
    Lemongrass (paste is quicker).

What it do:

Wash and chop your corriander (6 stems or so - use the whole thing).
    Chop your green chilli and 2 birdseye chillis. Take the seeds out. Don't rub eyes or go for a pee until you have washed your hands big-time because it will wreck.

Use a wok or deep frying pan.
    fry 2 tablespoons of curry paste in the pan for a couple of minutes.
    Add 200ml (half the tin) of coconut milk, tablespoon of fish sauce and tablespoon of palm sugar (you can use brown sugar if you like or skip this for teh 1337 health).
    Simmer for 5 mins.

Add the rest of the coconut milk, tablespoon of lime juice, half the corriander and the lemongrass and chopped chillis.
    Simmer for another 5 mins.

Add the prawns and kaffir lime leaf x 2 (don't eat these unless you are a pikey)
    Simmer for 2 mins.

Serve with some of the remaining uncooked corriander sprinkled on top. I don't go for rice or carbs in a big way but insert your rice of choice (brown is healthiest).

Had this last night and it was nectar.

• hugh_lucerohugh_lucero 485 Posts
    This slips in as healthy:

I usually have guacamole rather than relish, either way .. tasty !!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    made this last night - have the left-overs today for lunch - SO GOOD.

chick peas
    garlic
    olive oil
    white wine
    lemon
    chili flakes
    cumin
    rapini or spinach or kale

cook garlic and chili flakes in olive oil until garlic is wrinkly. thrown in the chick peas, wine and cumin and toss til well coated. cover, stir now and then. add lemon zest and juice. cover again and stir now and then. after about five minutes put in greens, cover til greens are wilted, toss til everything is evenly coated and mixed and serve! Don't let the greens cook, they just need to brighten up in colour and reduce in size. I had it as a side, but as a main you can have it over pasta or couscous.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

and support local farmers if you can. it's better for human life on this planet.

really important. true, your personal health is a good thing on which to focus, but the other health of community food supply may be of vital importance in the near future.

there are some nice looking recipes being thrown around in here...thai coconut curries are ridiculously good

I know summer is not really the time for hot and hearty soups, but here's one still

olive or safflower oil - you can use ghee as the soup is incorporating other Indian flavours, but I find it too rich in this case.
    garlic
    mustard seeds
    curry paste - no more than 1/2 a teaspoon or else it is too salty with the broth
    ripe tomatoes
    celery
    white kidney or navy beans or barley

small noodles or egg noodles
    veg broth

cilantro or parsley or green onions

heat oil and add seeds and cover til they're popping, turn down heat and add garlic and curry paste and cover.

add tomato, chopped celery and beans, stir so everything is well mixed and cover -should not be boiling but simmering. keep an eye on it so does not run out of liquid and burn.

meanwhile: in a separate pot, get broth going and cook noodles in that. once done, pour over veg and beans and keep on low heat.

serve and garnish with cilantro, parsley or green onions.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

support local farmers

thai coconut curries

• igboigbo 44 Posts

really important. true, your personal health is a good thing on which to focus, but the other health of community food supply may be of vital importance in the near future.

I'm mos def in favor of supporting my local farmers, but DAMN my local Farmers Market is pricey. I gave up on going that route, did a little research on local organic famrs in my hood. Met a few of them. NOw, i pay a small monthly fee, and they deliver a box of fresh goodies to my doorstep evey week.

It is the same price as going to my local Whole Foods and buying produce. The only real drawback is i dont know what is coming every week. I may get 5 lps of greens and no onions. But the more you talk to the farmers, preferences, what you cook, the more they will try their best to hook you.

At the very least, i know my dollars are flowing back to my local famres and commnity and not to some huge multi-state factory farm conglomerate with shit qualtiy produce.

Whole Foods

Shopped there for the first time a couple of months ago and could not believe what a rip-off it is. We try to shop small businesses as much as we can, so the Whole Foods excursion was a reconnaissance mission.

I generally buy the same groceries everytime and it cost me almost $30 more than what I pay at small health food stores for basics. Can we extend the support local farmers model to support local small businesses? You'd think the savings would be greater at a chain, but not in this case.