Record shopping in Kingston, Jamaica...

drbrownscelraydrbrownscelray 648 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'm only there for about 24 hours, is it even worth bothering? Your thoughts, opinions, and angry rants are appreciated.

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I've heard you need plan and some people who know the right places.
    Otherwise you could end up with no money and no records.
    Perhaps contacting some of the larger Jamaican Ebay sellers could be
    the move. Telegift moves quite a bit of product out of JA.
    Good luck, report back if you attempt digging in Jamaica, I wanna hear
    how it goes.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    hit the known stores/spots on parade or wherever

my friend was just there, many lickshots firing

be safe !

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Our good friend Soufriere said Orange St in Kingston and Henry (?) was the dude. But security would be necessary. You would need an appt.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    you can buy new dancehall cheaper safer and easier in brooklyn

forget about finding anything real[rarer/old] in 24 hours

best bet is too pick up a girl some herb and some good food and enjoy the beach and some sunshine
    forget the wax sonny

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Z,

You need to holla at the hommie Magnetic. He's here on the boards. Very cool dude and he lives in Kingston. He would know the real deal and be the best person to talk to.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    you can buy new dancehall cheaper safer and easier in brooklyn

forget about finding anything real[rarer/old] in 24 hours

Also there isn't any record store open on a sunday downhere.

ps: The Japanese have already scoured the record shops that had good records left in them.
    Sticking with the ebay reggae record sellers is the best bet for real.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't think the homie Brown is looking for gripp_and_flipp action on cheap reggae raers. He is just looking to see some nice records and he will pay top price for them.

However I think he is crazy to even be thinking about records and should just stick to hanging out with Freddie McGregor and Sean Paul and shit.

I could assist him in getting that "Local Jamaican Record Shop Experience" if he feels the need to.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I don't think the homie Brown is looking for gripp_and_flipp action on cheap reggae raers. He is just looking to see some nice records and he will pay top price for them.

However I think he is crazy to even be thinking about records and should just stick to hanging out with Freddie McGregor and Sean Paul and shit.

He should holler at Freddie's son Stephen; dude is making some of the biggest riddims around right now (Tremor and Power Cut). Very, very heavy minor key joints with acoustic guitars th'owed in for good measure.

Maggie, tell them about the dude who had records buried in canisters! Next level digging.

Maggie, tell them about the dude who had records buried in canisters! Next level digging.

I know not of such a thing Ross.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

He should holler at Freddie's son Stephen; dude is making some of the biggest riddims around right now

I believe that is the particular item of business he'll be in town for.

I thought it was you that had posted a story about some guy who had buried records in canisters or old oil drums in his backyard. Maybe not....

• I don't think the homie Brown is looking for gripp_and_flipp action on cheap reggae raers. He is just looking to see some nice records and he will pay top price for them.

He should holler at Freddie's son Stephen; dude is making some of the biggest riddims around right now (Tremor and Power Cut). Very, very heavy minor key joints with acoustic guitars th'owed in for good measure.

It is this very young man who I'm on my way to see, we are working together. Thanks for all of the tips and whatnot. Looking at my itinerary, I'm not even gonna have time to shop. Just on a plane, to the hotel, meeting, go home...

Magnetic, a couple dumb questions if you've got the time:
    - Do I need to do currency exchange or can I pay with my debit card most places?
    - What kind of electrical plugs do y'all use, the American stilo or the European kind?
    - Is the airport crazy hectic?

It is this very young man who I'm on my way to see, we are working together.

Excellent! I've mentioned him a number of times in my XLR8R column and think very highly of his work. It's also funny to buy 45s with the Big Ship label (the label his dad founded way back) and hear straight bashment tunes on 'em.

And you can play him this if you get bored:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/omarion-ice-box-ross-hogg-power-cut-riddim-rmx-mp3.html

Ha! Have a safe/good/productive trip.

Magnetic, a couple dumb questions if you've got the time:
    - Do I need to do currency exchange or can I pay with my debit card most places?
    - What kind of electrical plugs do y'all use, the American stilo or the European kind?
    - Is the airport crazy hectic?

Yeah the Airport is hectic i hope you're getting picked up if not you should use the JUTA taxi service.
    Are you gonna be staying at a hotel in New Kingston area? if so you can use the debit and credit cards in most spots there.
    The electrical outlets here are compatible with the American electronics.

You should ask Freddie's son how the runnings go at the airport i'm sure he's travelling a lot he should know, i haven't left this place since 92.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Ask for "Hi Grade".

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I thought it was you that had posted a story about some guy who had buried records in canisters or old oil drums in his backyard. Maybe not....

I believe that Soulfriere was the originator of that story.