DEEJAY OM-REHEATED NAAN & CURRY!!!!?????!!!!!!!!

axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
i got to meet om a few month's back(good dude!) and he graciously sent me a copy of this cd....i was REALLY impressed...if you know me, i don't say that too often nowaday!any friend i've played it for are like whut the fuck is this shit?massive props om!!!!!!!!

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    reading the title of this thread made me hungry

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I meant to make a similar post about this. Fire ass beats, nice flow to the album, which is tough to do with an all instrumental lp. You get some humor, deepness, rawness, and funk, and it takes you through a nice little trip of stoned Bollywood goodness. Top summer instrumental cruising music!

• Yup, it's a good one...great job N*THAN!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Yup, it's a good one...great job N*THAN!

That B***s M***o remix aka The Arrival is

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    ive heard some early early vintage 2004 versions of this album and it was naan but kulcha

• Yeah, a wide range of moods on this album and definitely heat. Om has a lot of Indian records. This is good top down, chrome spinnin' music.

I flux widdit.

• i got to meet om a few month's back(good dude!) and he graciously sent me a copy of this cd....

i was REALLY impressed...if you know me, i don't say that too often nowaday!

any friend i've played it for are like whut the fuck is this shit?

massive props om!!!!!!!!

I don't know if it was just mine, but mine came packaged in tin foil and the cd straight smelled like curry and naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. Wtf!!!! that is so genius. i am still bugggin out about that. Fucking Genius.

Plus it is a dope ass cd.

• so is this gonna be on wax??

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    i got to meet om a few month's back(good dude!) and he graciously sent me a copy of this cd....

massive props om!!!!!!!!

I don't know if it was just mine, but mine came packaged in tin foil and the cd straight smelled like curry and naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. Wtf!!!! that is so genius. i am still bugggin out about that. Fucking Genius.

YES THE TINFOIL PUT IT OVER THE TOP FOR ME TOO!!!!!!!!!

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    i got to meet om a few month's back(good dude!) and he graciously sent me a copy of this cd....

massive props om!!!!!!!!

YES THE TINFOIL PUT IT OVER THE TOP FOR ME TOO!!!!!!!!!

That is a GREAT packaging idea!

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    oh damn...i'm very happy to see this ...glad you folks like it...and it's a huge compliment to see that some of you see it as "This is good top down, chrome spinnin' music." or "Top summer instrumental cruising music!"...that was my intention with it...a journey of psychedelia, break-neck beats, and exotic Middle Eastern flavorings.....for your journey in life...

the packaging idea was mine from the start...thought it would be more effective (the tinfoil and frangrant powders are homie style promos though... ..but, all the radio and press promos were sent with a package of curry (hey, they say 85% of memory is olfactory based!)...the cover and all that i came up with the concepts, but it was our own david castillo (genius) who pimped it out properly and made it so psychedelic and bollywoodesque...

I did my best to represent what I could under the umbrella of "Middle Eastern Beats"...so, I have a psych-rock song, rap/gangsta track, 80's electro b-boy cuts, laid back mellow indian jazz, bollyfunk dancers, etc....all of which is mega-mixed (after the tracks were done I did the mega-mix at my friend's studio, Nate, who was actually one of the people behind the psych-mix-masterpiece "Trap Door") ...after that was completed I got the chance to have it mastered by Ken Lee (who also did Tupac's 1st album, the re-master of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and Bob Marley "Exodus", and sooo much other hot shit...it makes your head spin!)...it was a trip when jeff and I came to listen to it after he was done...seeing him facing his computer screen and studio monitors (god those were nice monitors!)...his back to us...bobbing his head to my beats...asking "how's it sound"...that was definitely a high point for me...since in the bay...that guy is a legend...and to have him say that he enjoyed working on the album and that he actually liked the music...was pretty fucking rad...

to be honest...I think a lot of the people on soulstrut would dig the album...the reception has been pretty good so far...including being featured on NPR, a review in the upcoming June issues of Remix Magazine and XLR8R (in TophOne's Lucky 13...and I will be on their website starting Friday), and some other cool stuff...

soulstrut's own DJTrew of Groundlift Magazine reviewed it here:

http://groundliftmag.com/LEVEL2_RESOURCE_REVIEW.php?RRID=3568&MID=0

if someone is interested in buying my album...they can get it at Target, Best Buy, Virgin, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Hear Music (Starbucks CD Stores), Amoeba, Rasputin, Dusty Groove, Itunes, etc. (and if you are in Japan, my album is available there through the Japanese label Easel)...and I know that some of those spots have places where you can listen to soundclips of it (online or in the store)...if you go into any of those stores and they don't have it...you can definitely order it! (and I will love you forever ...feel free to hit me up on here or on my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/deejayom (my myspace page also has two songs off the album.."The Arrival" and "Silk Dealers of New Delhi")

• Yes, Om is the man and this album is killin it!

I too was going to post about this...it's raer for me to be able to listen to an album all the way through multiple times and still want more. Also, Castillo hooked up the artwork properly as well.

Well done.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    is this gonna see an lp release?

• I am definitely ordering this joint. But I was wondering:

Could anyone post an Mp3 or two for me to rock out on the radio tonight, so I can say the hommie OM's name loudly and clearlyt over the urrwaves? For some reason the myspace isn't letting me download the silk dealers song, which sounds great.

I am definitely ordering this joint. But I was wondering:

Could anyone post an Mp3 or two for me to rock out on the radio tonight, so I can say the hommie OM's name loudly and clearlyt over the urrwaves? For some reason the myspace isn't letting me download the silk dealers song, which sounds great.

check your pm's.....

• Options
    Fucking LOVE IT,Nathan thanks man...I been pumping this shit for kids at work.

track.14 is my motherfucking jam right now.

Go buy this NOW peeps,you'll love it.

• Options

hey dude it's Kevin by the way,haven't posted here in eons

• autoauto 198 Posts
    any extra naan and curry flavored cd's available?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    yeah ive pretty much watched this build from the start. the artwork is a thousand times better than the one i first saw! dave pimped that shit out for real! good job on the artwork man.

i like the fact that, while there are tracks i love to hear all the way through, the ones i dont immediately get into have bits and pieces inside the tune that are fresh. he flips shit up inside the track so there isnt ever a need to skip a beat.

congrats cuz... the release party was fresh. i was drunk... it was great!

is this gonna see an lp release?

Although I would love to say yes...and am actually trying my hardest to make that happen...either a 45 or two...or (my preference) double-lp...it's currently not happening...yet....I will keep the soulstrut community posted on that (as I've had a lot of requests for vinyl since it came out on May 1st, 2007)...but, currently now...it's only available on cd...

hey dude it's Kevin by the way,haven't posted here in eons

what up kevin! oh...shhhnap! glad you like it...definitely loving that you are telling all your friends and co-workers about it!

it's funny because that's currently my favorite song as well ("Ganeesha in Space" for those curious of title)...it's also Nate's (Trap Door) current favorite too....haha...I'm most proud of the drum programming on that....peep towards the end...I do a rimshot roll...

yeah ive pretty much watched this build from the start. the artwork is a thousand times better than the one i first saw! dave pimped that shit out for real! good job on the artwork man.

i like the fact that, while there are tracks i love to hear all the way through, the ones i dont immediately get into have bits and pieces inside the tune that are fresh. he flips shit up inside the track so there isnt ever a need to skip a beat.

congrats cuz... the release party was fresh. i was drunk... it was great!

yeah, just*n...that was a fun night...I got a little toasted too...but, damn you should have seen me that wednesday down in L.A. at a show I did at Willow's spot...whew! ain't been like that in awhile...haha...I'm glad you showed up and had a fun night...and that you of all people...like my album......I mean, come on...you hate everything!

oh, and for those not in the know...David Castillo: http://www.dwcastillo.com

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Sorry I didn't make the release party... I was at a bachelor party in Palm Springs over the weekend and let's just say I had a few too many Patron shots (over 30 I'm told) so I was a little sicky sick on Monday. I set a new course record playing golf on Sunday morning... I threw up on every hole on the back nine

Sorry I didn't make the release party... I was at a bachelor party in Palm Springs over the weekend and let's just say I had a few too many Patron shots (over 30 I'm told) so I was a little sicky sick on Monday. I set a new course record playing golf on Sunday morning... I threw up on every hole on the back nine

30...you wimp!!!

oh, and Raj...the naan & curry is on it's way to you...

also, if anyone on soulstrut can recommend good ways in which to promote my album (this is my 1st solo...and any help would be greatly appreciated)...if you have any recommendations on websites to hit up that would be good to promote it...or friend's at quality magazines, radio djs...etc...(I know a few of you have already done did this whole album release thing...)...feel free to post...or pm...

btw...someone had suggested Pitchfork...anybody know how I could get it into the hands of pitchfork? (o-dub got any suggestions/peeps/contacts?...anyone?)