Desktop computer/processor help? (PC-Related)

G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'm about to buy a new PC desktop and I'm trying to figure out which is the best way to go in terms of processors. Can anybody tell me which of the following would likely be most beneficial to a system that is primarily used for audio editing and recording as well as graphic design and internet? I don't do much else with my computer but the audio and graphics stuff needs a strong processor. What are the differences in these:Pentium 4Pentium DIntel Core 2 DuoThanks for any info.

Comments

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    the Core 2 Duo @ 1.86 GHz will blow the fucking pants off the Pentium D @ 2.8 GHz, and it will do it with less power and less heat.

The Core 2 Duo (aka Conroe) does way, way more work per clock cycle than the old NetBurst architecture (Pentium 4/D). It's misleading as hell, and of course Dell doesn't want to tell you that because they've probably got a shitload of old Pentium D inventory clogging up their shelves that they wanna get rid of.

Get the Core 2 Duo. Fuck the gold.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/26/the_gigahertz_battle/page14.html

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Thanks, looks like the core 2 duo will suit my needs just fine, and i just found a deal to get one in a dell with a 22 inch flat panel monitor and some other nice upgrades for $800.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah, I built one w/ a dual core duo recently. Very nice. 2.4GHz base speed.