EAST BAY WRITERS, WHO WAS KINGING IN THE 80S ?

showandtellshowandtell 97 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'M TALKING PURE BOMBING #S. THERE WAS A TON OF DUDES WITH MORE TALENT (DREAM, ECHO, ETC)BUT IN TERMS OF GETTING UP, MY VOTES GOTTA GO TO B>ANTHONY/B> AND B>714/B>. THESE GUYS WERE ALL I>OVER/I> OAKLAND INTHE MID TO LATE 80S. BERKELEY'S TPC TOOK OVER AFTERWARDS & YOU CAN SEE HEIST/REYRAC TAGS IN MIDDLE PIC.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The suppossed old lady who scribbled PRAY in every single telephone booth in the entire 5 boroughs.
    Rumour has it it was a Phone Company worker as well.

Im no Graf historian but I dont think anyone truely held the KING title on NYC for too long. There were too many dudes killin it. Maybe Kings of certain train lines but the whole NYC. I dont know if that was ever truely achieved.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    OOPs I misread EAST BAY as East Coast......

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Cheka & Trenz had Hayward covered for awhile. But that was like 93.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    CEIVE

• TPC was killing it but it took six of em to take out those other two dudes.
    more primitive, obscure 80s shit:

east oakland wall c.'88[/b]

rev, joker, chitlen (laughing), 714 -- east oakland c.'87[/b]

serf, nerve, sokone & plan -- east oakland c.'87[/b]

ancient anthony -- east oakland c.'86[/b]

714 -- oakland c.'89[/b]

east oakland wall c.'87[/b]

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    "Crayone" & "Dug" had the best top to bottom pieces I seen out there back then.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    Im from the BRICKS and the cats that i have to give props to in N.Y.C is JOZ (RIP) EASY,JOSH 5,OLD ENGLISH,VEFEER, for going ALL CITY back in the day.http://www.streetsaresayingthings.com/sgallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=2

• crayone, dug, dream, vogue, phresh, all these guys are hall of famers without dispute but who were the 80's bombing kings?

i still say anthony, 714 and another dude i just remembered: west.

• Options
    The suppossed old lady who scribbled PRAY in every single telephone booth in the entire 5 boroughs.

I can see that. Phone company boxes (the insides) are loaded with graffiti done by the workers. Same thing as tagging in streets, you're showing how many spots you've worked at.

It's not really street-styled though, more the freight-train hobo style. Actually, they mix together now. Some guys write a tag, others draw a character, others might write a phrase ("I Am The Walrus" is everywhere in my county). One guy writes the temperature and date. Sometimes I'll open a box and just read the whole thing for a few minutes before I even start working.

• The suppossed old lady who scribbled PRAY in every single telephone booth in the entire 5 boroughs.

I can see that. Phone company boxes (the insides) are loaded with graffiti done by the workers. Same thing as tagging in streets, you're showing how many spots you've worked at.

It's not really street-styled though, more the freight-train hobo style. Actually, they mix together now. Some guys write a tag, others draw a character, others might write a phrase ("I Am The Walrus" is everywhere in my county). One guy writes the temperature and date. Sometimes I'll open a box and just read the whole thing for a few minutes before I even start working.

I heard Pray was like a homeless bag lady type. It used to freak out at how every phone had PRAY carved into the metal hook that you hang the reciever on. I mean like EVERY phone anywhere you went. I'm fascinated by dudes that hit certain types of spots obsessively: The dude Genius/GNS/GKNOTS from 36Mob/Acid Krue in Brooklyn has a tag carved into the plastic under pretty much every window in every train on every line. Also Sil 5X7 (rip) had that metal panel above where the map is in every car. He also had alot of tunnel ups, always under the lights so you could see em when the train whizzed by. Does anyone remember the dude ID UGG whose big thing was to "crown" other people's pieces? He would catch tags on top of everyone's shit and as a result he was constantly coming off on flicks of other people's stuff in magazines. Polish dude from Greenpoint I think.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    CEIVE

• Options

I heard Pray was like a homeless bag lady type. It used to freak out at how every phone had PRAY carved into the metal hook that you hang the reciever on. I mean like EVERY phone anywhere you went. I'm fascinated by dudes that hit certain types of spots obsessively: The dude Genius/GNS/GKNOTS from 36Mob/Acid Krue in Brooklyn has a tag carved into the plastic under pretty much every window in every train on every line. Also Sil 5X7 (rip) had that metal panel above where the map is in every car. He also had alot of tunnel ups, always under the lights so you could see em when the train whizzed by. Does anyone remember the dude ID UGG whose big thing was to "crown" other people's pieces? He would catch tags on top of everyone's shit and as a result he was constantly coming off on flicks of other people's stuff in magazines. Polish dude from Greenpoint I think.

Cost and Revs on the crosswalk lights too.

Long Island has a kid SACE in the last two years hit a ton of utility boxes. He was on the outside of so many phone boxes, in locations where people normally wouldn't know a box was there, that I started to think he works for my company. I think he's with SWK.

SEN4 is on just about every dumpster I've ever seen. CANO must be a fucking teamster, it's the only way I can think of how he's on so many boxtrucks.