New Order breaks up

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I think this comes as a shock to us all... I mean, they were still together?
16:13 09May07 RTRS-British rock band New Order breaks up LOS ANGELES, May 9 (Reuters) - British rock band New Order, which arose from the ashes of post-punk band Joy Division in the early 1980s, has broken up, according to a Web posting by the group's bass player. "I'm relieved really hated carryin on as normal with an awful secret so lets move on shall we?" Peter Hook wrote in a blog published on Wednesday on his MySpace page. Hook first revealed the split as an aside during an interview last weekend with Manchester radio announcer Clint Boon, when he said, "... me and Bernard (Sumner, New Order singer/guitarist) aren't working together." Hook and Sumner have been working together since the mid-1970s, when they co-founded Joy Division, the gloomy combo best known for the mournful single "Love Will Tear Us Apart." After singer Ian Curtis hanged himself in 1980, the pair -- along with Joy Division drummer Stephen Morris -- formed New Order, and recruited Gillian Gilbert on keyboards. The group issued its debut album in 1981, and went on to enjoy enormous success throughout the decade with such singles as "Blue Monday" and "Bizarre Love Triangle," and albums like "Power, Corruption and Lies" and "Low-Life." New Order was less prolific during the 1990s, as its members took on side projects.

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    as big a fan i am of no/jd i cant say this is a bad thing after their last album.

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    is there anything past "substance" that I even need to check for?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    is there anything past "substance" that I even need to check for?

Most people probably don't consider this essential, but "Regret" and "World" are the songs that do it for me, and the rest of the album is just swimming in baby oil through that inner tube on the cover.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    say it isn't so...next thing you're going to tell me is that Gene loves Jezebel broke up.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    as big a fan i am of no/jd i cant say this is a bad thing after Low Life

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    your not a fan of technique?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    your not a fan of technique?

Nah, I totally sweated New Order and Joy Division as a
    teenager, and still listen to stuff like Unknown Pleasures
    or Movement pretty often 20 years later, but watching them
    slowly smooth out their sound as the 80's went by was frustrating,
    and they had too much good music from their first 10 years for me
    to worry about needing anything new. I liked "Bizarre Love Triangle"
    but saw it as a streamlined "Temptation" and knew what was coming
    next. It's like the Cure - if you were a fan while they were new,
    watching them go from "The Hanging Garden" to "Friday I'm In Love"
    meant that at some point they had to become dead to you.