Philly Rap Question

soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
4-Ever Fresh...Did he/they ever release anything other than the 1988 "I Got a Good Thang"/"Urban Sound Surgeon" 12" on Tommy Boy? Was it a promo only, or did it get a valid release?Any other info?for those that don't know, 4-Ever Fresh's rap style was . Like a mixture of Fresh Prince and Chuck D: The former's charisma and vocal inflections with the latter's bombastic delivery and confidence."Urban Sound Surgeon" is also the source of vocal samples "Creating rap music 'cause I never dig disco!" and "Holy Calamity! scream insanity! all you ever gonna be's another great fan of me...BREAK!" as used on "Bear Witness" 1 and 2.

Comments

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Thats a good damn question there...

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    paging Philly Phil aka Soulman!

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I recently picked this 12" up and have to say that it's...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    paging Philly Phill[/b] aka Soulman!

no idea.... i know NY old school hip hop waaay better than I know Philly old school hip hop. Other than the great dj's, i didn't pay much attention to Philly rap back in those days

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts

Urban Sound Surgeon provided the vocal sample for Bear Witness 3 aswell, pretty sure this was the only 12" 4 Ever Fresh had

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    thanks for the responses, all. i guess 4-ever fresh is relatively obscure, then. i really like him on the mic...wish there was more to listen to.

paging Philly Phill[/b] aka Soulman!

no idea.... i know NY old school hip hop waaay better than I know Philly old school hip hop. Other than the great dj's, i didn't pay much attention to Philly rap back in those days

Keep it mind Soul Brother Phill[/b] is from out town I don't think if he was living in Philly in those days (but I don't want I to speak for him). I don't know if Tony D ever posted on here but I think he would know.

Well actually by the late 80s I was living in Philly but I still had that New Yorker-type attitude and didn't have much respect for Philly rappers. I appreciate that stuff much better looking back on it today.
    Speaking of which, I'd like to heartily endorse an upcoming mixtape by Aroe & The Soundmakers, "The Wreck Shop", featuring golden era Philly Rap (random and otherwise)... definitely
    Even has that joint by Will Smith and Jeff where Will's rhyming over the Truck Turner and I Can't Stop beats... hadn't heard that schitt in a loooooong time and forgot how dope it is. REAL SCHITT indeed

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    some other philly legends are going to be on there,me thinks.
    ive been waiting for that one with baited breath.

NY?? I thought you repped Conn. Or it is some tristate thing??

Conn. but we're talking like 30 minutes from the Bronx. So I was raised on 77 WABC WBLS KISS and KTU, Yankees Mets Knicks Nets Jets Giants channels 2 4 5 7 9 11 13 Daily News Post and the Times, Grandmaster Flash Funky Four Cold Crush rockin' live at the community center a block away from my house, etc etc etc... you know how it is when you grow up right outside a big city but you still rep that big city (kinda like RAJ tryin' to say he from Philly... lolol!). Sheeeeit, i grew up WAY closer to the Bronx than all them rap dudes from Wyndanch, Brentwood, Roosevelt, Amityville and all those other Long Island areas... probably even closer than folks from certain parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

Not to get it twisted, though- I'm still reppin' Philly regardless. I been here longer than anyplace else I've ever lived