Native Americans = The New "All Over Print"

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

How about you explain what you mean by whiteboys wearing these shirts into Indian reservations. What would be the consequences of doing that?

A beatdown obviously.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

This still blows my mind. It is 2007 right?

I don't even think about this shit, to me it's just a name of a baseball team. Big f**king deal.

However, if this kind of thing truly does offend native americans I got no problem with a change.

(Oh no.. :5pager:?)

What if it was the Washington Negros or something, with an equally bad logo?

:5pager:

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

I don't even think about this shit, to me it's just a name of a baseball team. Big f**king deal.

However, if this kind of thing truly does offend native americans I got no problem with a change.

I think the Washington Redskins name is more offending. It's just a little ridiculous IMO

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

THE ONLY RACE I SEE IS THE HUMAN RACE, MAN!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I think the Washington Redskins name is more offending. It's just a little ridiculous IMO

Ahhh, almost forgot about that one.

• This thread is embarrassing.

It's pretty sad when people on this site seem to think that American Indians would beat someone up over a t-shirt.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This thread is embarrassing.

It's pretty sad when people on this site seem to think that American Indians would beat someone up over a t-shirt.

That's right snitches!

Bobo will walk through your hood wearing whatever! His heart don't pump no kool-aid!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I almost got fucked up for wearing a Camo jacket back when the local natives were protesting (this was highschool though).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That's right snitches!

Bobo will walk down your block wearing whatever! His heart don't pump no kool-aid!

I don't know what us white dudes would do without Bobo on the team.

• This thread is embarrassing.

I almost got fucked up for wearing a Camo jacket back when the local natives were protesting (this was highschool though).

Was that during the conflict over fishing/hunting rights?

There's a lot of animosity between hunters and American Indians nationally, which includes violence directed at Indians. The prevailing attitude I've encountered has been that white hunters think that American Indians overfish and take more game than is necessary, which is not the case at all. Maybe they pegged you as a hunter.

• It must have been hard for you to identify yourself as white just now, DANNY.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

I don't follow baseball, but whenever I think of the Indians, as in the pro team, I think of Major League. That was a hillarious movie.

img src="
    http://www.brickyard400.com/news/2005/images/dhaysbert-280-07252005.jpg
    " alt="" />

Hats for bats...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    It must have been hard for you to identify yourself as white just now, DANNY.

Tepid. Now wipe your mouth.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Was that during the conflict over fishing/hunting rights?

Nah, this happened during a road block/protest to a local ski mountain (in BC, Canada). The reserve in my home town is pretty fucked up, murder, suicide, meth etc... Had a couple good friends out there get un-willingly involved in some shady shit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    plaese no!

this is a lateral step (stylistically) from the wolves, kittens / mountain lions, eagles, dream catchers, etc. that the non-hip-hop type /ironic hipsters were wearing a year or so ago. peoples is runnin out of ideas.

on the other hand, this shit is dope:

please. You'll rock a shirt that says "In the streets"? "In the streets" doing what? Eating fancy-ass food with
    A$er?

I got that shirt, it's fresh.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    wait, you got a shirt that says "In the streets eating fancy food with Aser"?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yes.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    do you think its the use of the term Indian, Redskin, etc in professional sports or the images they use to portray the indians being depicted?

• first off, yes, these are my doods. I'm going to pick up my latest fits from them tomorrow. i did the artwork for the sad clown shirt that's also part of the spring line.

second, there is reason to it all. you may notice that all the figures in the print are heroes. not cartoon character logos accentuating big nose and red skin.

third, if you look at other stuff in the line - death to all posers (bush), sad clown (michael richards)... you might notice that there is a more than subtle political slant to their work. put your perspective in context.

finally, my dad (a dual citizen of this country - card carrying citizen of the cherokee nation) is gonna freakin flip when I give him his sitting bull sweatshirt. my great granny was down in oklahoma until she died there 5 years ago at the age 97, I feel confident that SHE (who grew up in a family that provided safe haven for Billy The Kid) would be proud to see these images being worn.

I'm sorry, but unless 90% of the profits are being directed to the Native American Rights Fund, or some similar organization, there is no way you'll ever convince me that this is anything but exploitation.

not so simple. check the tag on your shirt. made in ______. unless it says american apparel, then you be expoloiting some struggling lady in asia, and if you're wearing american apparel, then you be exploiting the young girls that Dove rapes for the ad campaigns.

get naked and stand still if you want to avoid all exploitation dun. artists, and yeah, knowing the designer I feel entirely comfortable saying he's an artist, should feel free to use images (or musical samples) from people they admire in their work.

this site is based around sample culture. will you volunteer to give 90% of the profits from your beat to NAACP (cause you sampled a black dude).

i would be able to put together a better argument if I wasn't at work and fully in the thick of it.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    artists, and yeah, knowing the designer I feel entirely comfortable saying he's an artist, should feel free to use images (or musical samples) from people they admire in their work.

dude...just to be REALLY REAL about this particular set of shirts. Most Native American tribes have a serious issue with non-native americans making clothing, art, etc. and then trying to capitalize off it. Now, this could be a moot point if your artist friend is in fact a Native American (and on the cool, there really is standards of being at least 1/16th native american for some tribes).

just saying, this shit ain't like looping a beat from james brown. there are some legitimate, researchable (is that a word?) standards for making native american art. so keep that in mind.

• ...and they will beat you up over it if you walk onto a rez.

• I hear you jle, a big company making mills off jacking native american (african/asian/nordic) art is questionable, thing is, dudes at 10deep aren't trying to be sold at marshalls. the reason why that stuff is so expensive is because of how small scale the whole operation is - and the complexity/good quality of the production. they're doing it for respect, craft, and to pay their bills and grow - perhaps get to the point where they actually CAN make a big difference.

second, I'm not just saying this cause I have a 16th blood, even though it's prolly more cause down there in ok people be mad mixed... I also happened to grow up doing sweat lodges, going to pow wows, and I even went on a vision quest when I was 18. sounds hippie. I was also given a gun at age 13. not trying to sound hard or like I'm one of the cats on the reservation (NOT EVEN CLOSE), just that shit is complex.

I take offense at uncle ben, aunt jemimah, the cream of wheat dude, the redskins and the indians (teams).not cause they are so bad on the surface (well, the indians logo is), but because I know what's beneath the surface.

• also, keep in mind that if even a few of the throngs of fiending fools who manage to grip these shirts take the time to read the autobiography of Geronimo, I will be happy. however played out Che shirts are, I am glad that more than a couple st. mark's stoners know about this man's amazing life.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ...and they will beat you up over it if you walk onto a rez.
    Sorry, I wasn't around to respond to you earlier. What I meant was that (and Emil made a good post about this a few months back) was that if you are appropriating another race's shit, do that shit proper. I'm not saying that the beliefs of all Native Americans are same but if someone is too scared to wear such a shirt where they would tend to encounter a high number of Native Americans, they probably shouldn't be wearing it.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I hear you jle, a big company making mills off jacking native american (african/asian/nordic) art is questionable, thing is, dudes at 10deep aren't trying to be sold at marshalls. the reason why that stuff is so expensive is because of how small scale the whole operation is - and the complexity/good quality of the production. they're doing it for respect, craft, and to pay their bills and grow - perhaps get to the point where they actually CAN make a big difference.

second, I'm not just saying this cause I have a 16th blood, even though it's prolly more cause down there in ok people be mad mixed... I also happened to grow up doing sweat lodges, going to pow wows, and I even went on a vision quest when I was 18. sounds hippie. I was also given a gun at age 13. not trying to sound hard or like I'm one of the cats on the reservation (NOT EVEN CLOSE), just that shit is complex.

I take offense at uncle ben, aunt jemimah, the cream of wheat dude, the redskins and the indians (teams).not cause they are so bad on the surface (well, the indians logo is), but because I know what's beneath the surface.

please be serious.

how big or small the company is, is irrelevent.

Like the Che shirts this is just in poor taste.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    When your clothes are speaking louder than what you are, um yea...

"Let's see, LRG has been played out for 5 years now,
    so is James Brown t-shirts, and Dilla t-shirts,
    and ones with guns on 'em, and knives,
    and trees and roots."

"Indians! Now that shit is unique! Our spring collection is
    so gonna be Native American-themed! I think it definitely captures
    the mystique, exoticism, and unique patterns that we are
    looking for!"

• ...and they will beat you up over it if you walk onto a rez.
    Sorry, I wasn't around to respond to you earlier. What I meant was that (and Emil made a good post about this a few months back) was that if you are appropriating another race's shit, do that shit proper. I'm not saying that the beliefs of all Native Americans are same but if someone is too scared to wear such a shirt where they would tend to encounter a high number of Native Americans, they probably shouldn't be wearing it.

I guess I really was that dumb for not recognizing your reference to some obscure post from a few months back...

Or you're backpedalling, which is more likely the truth.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Whatever you want to read into shit is fine with me.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I hear you jle, a big company making mills off jacking native american (african/asian/nordic) art is questionable, thing is, dudes at 10deep aren't trying to be sold at marshalls. the reason why that stuff is so expensive is because of how small scale the whole operation is - and the complexity/good quality of the production. they're doing it for respect, craft, and to pay their bills and grow - perhaps get to the point where they actually CAN make a big difference.

Wow. That puts the "cop" in "cop out."

Thank god these won't be at Marshalls. That would just be tacky.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

That's right snitches!

Bobo will walk down your block wearing whatever! His heart don't pump no kool-aid!

I don't know what us white dudes would do without Bobo on the team.

Apparently, we'd stay out of the double bonus.