Native Americans = The New "All Over Print"

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
The final frontier...I know these are some people's folks and I'm sure hoping their intentions are good, but commodifying images of Native people with little or no backstory to Tommy Trustfund is not what's up.Discuss...

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Let's hope the joke is on us, and those shirts are infested with smallpox.

History rears up to spit in your face.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Do you know whether these come laced with smallpox?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That's a buncha fucking bullshit.

Wack.

Dickz

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    (Plague Me)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The "Natives" were here before America existed.

Cats will be sportin those hoodies drinkin this.....

while cheering at this place...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    haha....growing up in oklahoma i can tell you that with the exception of that last set of shirts, all those are just the normal shirts you'd find at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Red Earth festival....hypebeasters could get those for $15.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    (Plague Me)

Who Was Here First?

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I bet almost every DJ here who has a night in or near a big city will see the "cool" kids flexin this on fri-sat nights. When are those wolf t-shirts with dreamcatchers and shit gonna blow? oh wait.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Though I do hope all-over is all OVER!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

This still blows my mind. It is 2007 right?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    plaese no!

this is a lateral step (stylistically) from the wolves, kittens / mountain lions, eagles, dream catchers, etc. that the non-hip-hop type /ironic hipsters were wearing a year or so ago. peoples is runnin out of ideas.

on the other hand, this shit is dope:

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    The final frontier...

I know these are some people's folks and I'm sure hoping their intentions are good, but commodifying images of Native people with little or no backstory to Tommy Trustfund is not what's up.

Discuss...

[apologists] You really need to relax, it's just fashion so it doesn't mean anything at all! and we're just trying to be dope boy fresh with ourz. I mean, people say worse things on Hot 97 and in rap songs all the time! I don't see color or race. [/apologists]

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i strongly support any white boys rocking this shit as long as the first time they wear it, it's at an indian reservation

plaese no!

this is a lateral step (stylistically) from the wolves, kittens / mountain lions, eagles, dream catchers, etc. that the non-hip-hop type /ironic hipsters were wearing a year or so ago. peoples is runnin out of ideas.

on the other hand, this shit is dope:

please. You'll rock a shirt that says "In the streets"? "In the streets" doing what? Eating fancy-ass food with
    A$er?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    besides being disrespectful those designs are just fucking ugly. Who the fuck woul wear that schitt...

oh wait.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Did you see that shit on The Daily Show last night that Aasif Mandvi did about the U. of Illinois no longer using that Indian Chief mascot? It was hilarious--that dude's humor is so dry.

• The final frontier...
    I know these are some people's folks and I'm sure hoping their intentions are good, but commodifying images of Native people with little or no backstory to Tommy Trustfund is not what's up.

Discuss...

first off, yes, these are my doods. I'm going to pick up my latest fits from them tomorrow. i did the artwork for the sad clown shirt that's also part of the spring line.

second, there is reason to it all. you may notice that all the figures in the print are heroes. not cartoon character logos accentuating big nose and red skin.

third, if you look at other stuff in the line - death to all posers (bush), sad clown (michael richards)... you might notice that there is a more than subtle political slant to their work. put your perspective in context.

finally, my dad (a dual citizen of this country - card carrying citizen of the cherokee nation) is gonna freakin flip when I give him his sitting bull sweatshirt. my great granny was down in oklahoma until she died there 5 years ago at the age 97, I feel confident that SHE (who grew up in a family that provided safe haven for Billy The Kid) would be proud to see these images being worn.

there will always be ignant fools, but the fear of misuse by ignant heads shouldn't stop designers, artists, or any creator of product from putting out something that they believe in.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

MY DUDES...please direct the hate to the fact that this sweatshirt costs $109.

honestly, i am not sure whats more depressing. the hypebeasters trying to exploit native americans, or the fact that they don't even realize that really....this is just what shirts that cost about $15 depicting native americans actually look like.

MY DUDES...please direct the hate to the fact that this sweatshirt costs $109.

honestly, i am not sure whats more depressing. the hypebeasters trying to exploit native americans, or the fact that they don't even realize that really....this is just what shirts that cost about $15 depicting native americans actually look like.

EXACTLY.

Go to any truckstop in middle america and you can cop these along with hoodies depicting wolves howling at the moon for 1/10 the price.

And let me reiterate... the schitt above is just fucking ugly.

• i strongly support any white boys rocking this shit as long as the first time they wear it, it's at an indian reservation

You really try hard to be edgy.

What is your experience in Hawaii with American Indians?

Have you ever been to an Indian reservation?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    The final frontier...

Discuss...

first off, yes, these are my doods. I'm going to pick up my latest fits from them tomorrow. i did the artwork for the sad clown shirt that's also part of the spring line.

second, there is reason to it all. you may notice that all the figures in the print are heroes. not cartoon character logos accentuating big nose and red skin.

third, if you look at other stuff in the line - death to all posers (bush), sad clown (michael richards)... you might notice that there is a more than subtle political slant to their work. put your perspective in context.

finally, my dad (a dual citizen of this country - card carrying citizen of the cherokee nation) is gonna freakin flip when I give him his sitting bull sweatshirt. my great granny was down in oklahoma until she died there 5 years ago at the age 97, I feel confident that SHE (who grew up in a family that provided safe haven for Billy The Kid) would be proud to see these images being worn.

I'm sorry, but unless 90% of the profits are being directed to the Native American Rights Fund, or some similar organization, there is no way you'll ever convince me that this is anything but exploitation.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i strongly support any white boys rocking this shit as long as the first time they wear it, it's at an indian reservation

do you enjoy wearing edgy native american shirts while posting on soulstrut?
    get off my nuts

The final frontier...

Discuss...

there will always be ignant fools, but the fear of misuse by ignant heads shouldn't stop designers, artists, or any creator of product from putting out something that they believe in.

Thats great that this is your reasoning for working on this, but seriously

1. at the price the company is charging for this stuff

and

2. If the company is NOT going to support the causes they are speaking out against (action, product donation, or moneys)

they are just being exploitative. If they actually back up their talk with action then I stand corrected, but until then be realistic.

• So if the profits being generated by the sale of these shirts to Tommy Trustfunds is largely donated to American Indian tribes, the exploitation is OK?

So if the profits being generated by the sale of these shirts to Tommy Trustfunds is largely donated to American Indian tribes, the exploitation is OK?

Then their justification for doing it could be understood.

it still does not justify the shit design work though

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    So if the profits being generated by the sale of these shirts to Tommy Trustfunds is largely donated to American Indian tribes, the exploitation is OK?

What I'm saying is that if that were the case, at least the company would have a leg to stand on when defending this clothing line.

• i strongly support any white boys rocking this shit as long as the first time they wear it, it's at an indian reservation

get off my nuts

What are you even talking about?

How about you explain what you mean by whiteboys wearing these shirts into Indian reservations. What would be the consequences of doing that?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

get off my nuts

How about you explain what you mean by whiteboys wearing these shirts into Indian reservations. What would be the consequences of doing that?
    are you really this dumb?

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts

I don't even think about this shit, to me it's just a name of a baseball team. Big f**king deal.

However, if this kind of thing truly does offend native americans I got no problem with a change.

(Oh no.. :5pager:?)

get off my nuts

SOULSTRUT CLASSIC!