Please to recommend some "in the studio" bios

erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'm looking for something like 'Tom Dowd and The Language of Music', but in book form. You know: good music bios with a heavy slant towards how the recordings actually came together in the studio.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    If you can find it, check "View From Within" by Orrin Keepnews. Long out of print but great recollections of recording with guys like Monk, Bill Evans, and so on.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm looking for something like 'Tom Dowd and The Language of Music', but in book form. You know: good music bios with a heavy slant towards how the recordings actually came together in the studio.

Ashley Kahn's "Kind Of Blue: The Making of the Miles Davis Masterpiece" is a pretty good read. I think the same writer's done (or is about to do) a similar book on "A Love Supreme", but I've not come across that one.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Ashley also did

" The House That Trane Built: the Story of Impulse "

which is good!

I need that book by Orrin K.. what a legend!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    If you can find it, check "View From Within" by Orrin Keepnews. Long out of print but great recollections of recording with guys like Monk, Bill Evans, and so on.

I think most of it is culled from liner notes he did for sessions he produced, if I remember correctly. And it is a great read.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I got this shit for 10 bucks, on dusty groove. Its a nice comp. Very nice.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    What a great book.

Anyone looking for a copy can find a few being sold used for under $5 on Amazon.