Rap songs with real emotional context.

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
In soul music singers bared their souls. They sang with emotion about real life love and heartbreak. You could do a whole mix tape of Motown stars singing about crying. (But that would be another thread.)Which rappers (old and new) are setting aside their macho image to share true emotions? LL Cool J I Need LoveFresh Prince Parents Just don't UnderstandAdd on.

Comments

• MF Grimm "scar's & memories"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    50 Cent "21 Questions"

• Yaggfu Front - Left Field
    Pharcyde - Otha Fish
    LL Cool J - 2 Different Worlds

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    MF Grimm "scar's & memories"

unnecessary apostrophe usage.

• Tupac.. too many songs to pick just one

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    while there are a lot of angry rap songs that i feel have a lot of emotional context and i don't agree with that "macho image" shit at all, here's some non-angry/whatever you want to call them songs:

ghostface - in the rain, i can't go to sleep
    scarface - what can i do, heaven
    geto boys - mind playing tricks on me
    z-ro - help me please, everyday same thing
    trae - swang, song cry, dedicated to you
    devin - anythang, briar patch, just tryna live
    ugk - one day, diamonds and wood
    eightball and mjg - confessions, daylight

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    ghostface - all i got is you owns this category

cant forget "Be A Father To Your Child" by Ed O.G. & Da Bulldogs:

Be a father if not why bother son
    A boy can make 'em but a man can raise one
    If you did it admit it and stick with it
    Don't say it ain't yours 'cause all women are not whores
    Ninety percent represent a woman that is faithful
    Ladies can I hear it? Thank you.
    When a girl gets pregnant her man is gonna run around
    Dissin' her for nine months when it's born he wants to come around
    Talking that I'm sorry for what I did
    And all of a sudden he wants to see his kid
    She had to bear it by herself and take care of it by herself
    And givin' her money for milk won't really help
    Half of the fathers with sons and daughters don't even wanna take 'em
    But it's so easy for them to make 'em
    It's true, if it weren't for you then the child wouldn't exist
    After a skeeze, there's responsibilities so don't resist
    Be a father to your child

You see, I hate when a brother makes a child and then denies it
    Thinking that money is the answer so he buys it
    A whole bunch of gifts and a lot of presents
    It's not the presents, it;s your presence and essence
    Of being there and showing the baby that you care
    Stop sittin' like a chair and having your baby wonder where you are
    Or who you are----fool, you are his daddy
    Dib;t act like you ain't cause that really makes me mad, G.
    To see a mother and a baby suffer
    I've had enough of brothers who don't love the
    Fact that a baby brings joy into your life
    You could still be called daddy if the mother's not your wife
    Don't be scared, be prepared 'cause love is gonna getcha
    It will always be your child even if she ain't witcha
    So don't front on your child when it's your own
    'Cause if you front now, then you'll regret it when it's grown
    Be a father to your child

Put yourself in his position and see what you're done
    But just keep in mind that you're somebody;s son
    How would you like it if your father was a stranger
    And then tried to come into your life and tried to change
    The way your mother raised ya----now, wouldn't that amaze ya?
    To be or not to be, that is the question
    When you're wrong, you're wrong, it's time to make a correction
    Harassin' the mother for being with another man
    But if the brother man can do it better than you can,
    let him. Don't sweat him, duke
    Let him do the job that you couldn't do.
    You're claimin you was there, but not when she needed you
    And now you wanna come around for a day or two?
    It's never too late to correct your mistake
    So get yourself together for your child's sake
    And be a father to your child

ghostface - all i got is you Tooken Back, Save Me Dear and Love own this category

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

• Meth and Mary J- I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By
    Blackstar and Mary J- Beautiful
    Akrobatik- Woman
    DITC- Tribute

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Wu - "Can It Be All So Simple," "Tearz"

btw, since when is rootless the grammar police?

Wu - "Can It Be All So Simple," "Tearz"

btw, since when is rootless the grammar police?

it's not just me, mayne. read-up on your read-ups: there has been a concerted group effort as of late to eliminate the superfluous apostrophes. pitch in!

reh dogg

SAYING!

Tell me why
    Why must I cry
    Tell me why
    Why must I cry
    Why must I cry

Why must I cry why must I cry why ( 6 times)
    Tell me why

(Verse)
    No matter what I did I tried to love this kid, ever since he was eight
    All he ever did was lie and steal from me
    Now he???s seventeen and I thought that he???d change his ways but when I look at kid
    He???s still hating on me
    It makes me sad to see this kid, he???s still hating on me, he???s bad I just can???t lie anymore
    I gotta push him through the door
    Recently the kid stole my jewelry, I turn my back and he steals my gun from me
    Kid be careful you???re gonna shoot someone and end up in jail
    A death sentence is that what you want? I know that you really hate me but why did you have to do these things to me. It???s not fair you really don???t care.
    Don???t understand why you gotta go this route, don???t you understand without a doubt it???s the wrong path, understand

(Chours)
    Tell me why
    Why must I cry
    Tell me why
    Why must I cry
    Why must I cry why must I cry why (3 times)
    Tell me why

Why must I cry why must I cry why (3 times)
    Tell me why

(Verse)
    Tammie Starr, who do you think you are, using those kids as weapons you know it???s not fair Tyler I really love you and I really miss you and Deja
    Now I got twins on the way, Tammie Starr you???ve gone away
    California haven???t heard from ya that???s why

(chorus)
    Tell me why
    Why must I cry
    Tell me why
    Why must I cry

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    OC - Born 2 live
    Tragedy - Grand Groove
    Tragedy - Permanently Scarred.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    ghostface - all i got is you Tooken Back[/b], Save Me Dear and Love own this category

LOL, dude, you're actually gonna hate on an alltime classic in favor of a track featuring Jacki-O?

A remarkably bad look, even for you.

sang with emotion about real life love and heartbreak.

this thread has evolved away from what I thought was a good topic: real life love and heartbreak. there's a whole lot of grew-up-on-the-crime-side-hardknock-life-now-I'm-scarred type contributions here.

not saying these are not important songs, I just think it's more interesting to look into who has bared their soul on some love and heartbreak shit rather than on the I-had-it-rough-growing-up shit.

the former are more rare I think.

ghostface - all i got is you Tooken Back[/b], Save Me Dear and Love own this category

LOL, dude, you're actually gonna hate on an alltime classic in favor of a track featuring Jacki-O?

I don't ride for Jacki-O. but the bottom line is I can't really listen to all I got is you. it's boring. take me back is funny with a great outro. (that's right; step your outro game up).

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Kool G Rap - She Loves Me

There is an MC Shan break-up song I can't remember the name of.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    akrobatik - remind my soul

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wow! I am impressed that so many people are coming up with so many songs so quickly. I need to listen to more rap, and change my perseption.

Else where someone suggested that emotion was nagl in rap. Here was my response.

If an artist can't get in touch with their emotions... then they are not much of an artist.

If some one is telling a story about slanging crack and all the girls and cars it gets them and how they are 10 feet tall, I call BS. I want to hear how does slanging crack make you feel when you are done using the girls and you turn off the lights and lay down in bed. Most crack dealers can't express, or even acknowledge those emotions. That is what makes them crack dealers (or make believe crack dealers) and not artists.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

This whole thread is a bad look. You guys need to quite giving each other virtual hugs and start training for next year's strongest man. Emotions are NAGL unless they involve revenge, anger, and/or extreme rage.

This whole thread is a bad look. You guys need to quite giving each other virtual hugs and start training for next year's strongest man. Emotions are NAGL unless they involve revenge, anger, and/or extreme rage.

^^^^^NEEDS A VIRTUAL HUG.

this thread has evolved away from what I thought was a good topic: real life love and heartbreak. there's a whole lot of grew-up-on-the-crime-side-hardknock-life-now-I'm-scarred type contributions here.

not saying these are not important songs, I just think it's more interesting to look into who has bared their soul on some love and heartbreak shit rather than on the I-had-it-rough-growing-up shit.

Yahmean!? These dudes need to get familiar with that Jacki-O level emotional heartstring tugging lyricism! Word up son!

but the bottom line is I can't really listen to all I got is you. it's boring.

WOW

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If some one is telling a story about slanging crack and all the girls and cars it gets them and how they are 10 feet tall, I call BS. I want to hear how does slanging crack make you feel when you are done using the girls and you turn off the lights and lay down in bed. Most crack dealers can't express, or even acknowledge those emotions. That is what makes them crack dealers (or make believe crack dealers) and not artists.
    biggie and jay talk on this a lot

Yahmean!? These dudes need to get familiar with that Jacki-O level emotional heartstring tugging lyricism! Word up son!

dude I'll assume you can actually understand the point I am making here and only goading me to up your post count.

what I was saying, as you surely understand, is that there are two distinct sub-genres being mentioned here.

1. hardknock childhood I love my mom raps

2. heartbreak/breakup love raps

Number 1 we got plenty of (as evidenced in this thread). Number 2 are actually a lot more rare in hip hop.

biggie and jay talk on this a lot

I would actually say this is a prerequisite for significant success in the rap game. The mass rap buying population wants to hear tales of guns, drugs, ho's, busters, and snitches... but they want to know at the end that the rapper has learned the error of his ways, feels remorse, and is so glad to be making money legally now. It empowers the listener to feel like they're not just contributing to a criminal culture but supporting its escapees with their purchasing power. Were it not for young Timothy and Amanda, 50 Cent might indeed die trying to get rich. Thank god for them.

In another thread people wondered why Fat Joe couldn't break like 50 - and while sex appeal, well-written hooks, and production choices certainly factor in, another important factor is, to bring it all back full circle, Joe doesn't make you feel shit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    50 makes me feel like shit

Well, to be fair only his first LP made me feel shit - his second album merely made me feel sick.

50 makes me feel like shit

He makes me feel sort of bloated, and his new song makes me feel like I already heard it the last three times he released it.

But he was once capable of provoking a greater range of emotions.