Rap songs with real emotional context.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just last night as I was listening to the song "Let the Truth Be Told" for about the 9th time in a row, I thought how it's fine time for a post on...

THE CULT OF Z-RO[/b]

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Ice Cube - Dead Homiez.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The entire Stress... The Extinction Agenda LP is laced with, well, stress. A very emotional LP to say the least.

I agree with E on "Can You Feel Me"... that entire album, too, is laced with a sort of paranoia (see "The Real Circus" and "Light Sleeper") and depth that people really don't talk about a whole lot. Even "Worship The Dick" is a lot more nuanced than the title suggests. He's dropping Penis Power bombs! The polyrhythmic flow and chaotic production are great, but there's a reason why he printed the lyrics on the j-card.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm dealing with a painful break-up currently so these are the songs that came to mind

Jay-z "Song Cry" - his words and voice come together in a way that makes me feel like a couple tears fell after the walked away from the mic. During a break-up this song was on constant repeat and helped me deal with the feelings of losing someone I cared about.

Eminem "KIM" - at least i think thats the name of the song, the one where he is basically just yelling to his ex-wife before killing her. The entire track is just an open emotional scar presented for the world to hear. His mixed messages of saying I hate you repeatedly and then finishing with the words "I love you" expressed the raw, identifiable confusion one can feel when the one you love leaves you empty

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The entire Stress... The Extinction Agenda LP is laced with, well, stress. A very emotional LP to say the least.

Definitely. "Black Sunday" is on some soul-touching shit, especially with Monch in full-on preacherman mode.

Somebody mentioned "Da Art of Storytelling"--I agree, and I'd follow that one up with Scarface's "A Minute To Pray, a Second To Die." The story itself isn't all that exceptional, but the way Scarface tells it can really grab you (the "Inner City Blues" loop doesn't hurt, either). It's like he knows it's sort of a cliched story, but it really hurts him to have to tell it yet again.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• Geto Boys. Mind Playing Tricks
    Bushwick Bill. Ever So Clear
    UGK. High Life
    Goodie Mob. their whole first album
    Nas. The World Is Yours
    OutKast. Growin' Old
    O.C. Born 2 Live
    T.I. Live in the Sky
    T.I. Prayin For Help
    Juvenile. Ghetto Children
    Organized Konfusion. In Vetro
    Mystikal. Dedicated To Michelle Tyler
    Z-Ro. I Hate You Bitch
    Slick Rick. Teenage Love.
    Too much Pac to mention

Just some stuff off the top. There's actually a shitload of this in Hip-Hop, people just don't talk about it. People hear what they want to hear.

And on the emo/indie-rap side, they got this shit in spades. Somebody mentioned Mystik Journeymen. The Grouch and Eligh should also get a mention. "Neglected" comes to mind. Aesop Rock should get a nod too.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    wow this thread has spun out of control.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The Coup "Me and Jesus the Pimp in a '79 Granada Last Night".33.0.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this is such a huge aspect of rap music, trying to list them seems almost fruitless.

"name rap songs with 90-100 bpms"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Just last night as I was listening to the song "Let the Truth Be Told" for about the 9th time in a row, I thought how it's fine time for a post on...

THE CULT OF Z-RO[/b]

i think this is the clip, can't really check at work

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    there is tons of emotional hip hop on the indie tip

kev brown - alone again
    emanon - six million ways (shits mad deep)
    some of the INI shit
    Main Source - Looking at the front door
    this one - diamond d

mad other shit. its kind of funny no one is mentioning any independent stuff compared to all the mainstream thug joints.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    mad other shit. its kind of funny no one is mentioning any independent stuff compared to all the mainstream thug joints.
    am i supposed to post about shit i dont listen or something?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

where's the love for hipster hop

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    wow this thread has spun out of control.

yeah, wtf is going on?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

where's the love for hipster hop
    please post your list of 90bpm favorites

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    De La Soul..... Tryin People

For real -this one gets me all verklempt...

a real gem on the otherwise AOI series.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yes. yes you are.

duh

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Brother Ali - Picket Fence

De La Soul..... Tryin People

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Would someone make me a disc of Rap songs with real emotional context?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The Coup "Me and Jesus the Pimp in a '79 Granada Last Night".33.0.

Say word.

i could throw together a .zip file of some of the best(in my opinion)
    but it depends what emotion you want. the titles named here are so wide you could say almost any song.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

i could throw together a .zip file of some of the best(in my opinion)
    but it depends what emotion you want. the titles named here are so wide you could say almost any song.

I want to listen to songs that have a strong true emotion. But I do not want that emotion to be hate, anger or revenge as in Kim that so many people have recommended.

I would rather hear songs with more "female" emotions. Love, loss, heartbreak. Think Al Green, or Smokey Robinson. A song about a friend who was killed, or an absent parent or a violent childhood are fine as long as the message isn't 'now I'm gonna get mine' or 'I want them to get theirs'.

I would rather hear more current more mainstream rap, like much of what people first started recommending. And/or* classic '88 - '94 type stuff. Underground emo stuff that people started adding later in the thread I am less interested in hearing.

Mostly I just want to hear good songs.

*What does the grammar police think of starting a sentence with not one, but 2 prepositions plus a /?

ill start w/ my favorite:

de la - trying people

beans - change

jigga - song cry

now, the first time i heard this song i got really choked up, and havent listened to it in full since then. it's from the first atmosphere lp. it not slug, but the other dude, spawn, i think, but its about his father passing away and it's just depressing:

a couple little brother joints, "away" and "starship"