Keep or Sell?: Funkadelic - S/T

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You know that nearly everyone is going to tell you to keep it.
    Of course I knew that--most people, for various reasons, have low standards for what qualifies as "phenomenal" and thus worth keeping. I was hoping to hear from the important few people who I know are discerning listeners, and have proven themselves to be honest and straight-forward, and have high standards.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    As long as you keep your copy of Maggot Brain, dude.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    CAN YOU GET TO THAT

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

do you ever sleep cos?

and with that... thanks for keeping me slightly entertained tonight girls...

off work now... and about to be 420ed. urrrieee...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I wanted to take this opportunity to show you guys what I was doing with the "best album cover's" thread from a while ago :

Fuck an Mp3, I am immortalizing records through arts and crafts! And now for only 9.99 plus shipping, You can have any record you want as a lovely candle for your mantle.

Please email me for more information and requests

After all, some records are only good for the covers...right rey? tee heee he

The one I made for Mr. Jeigh...

Seriously though, hit me up!

woah, so the album cover is somehow printed onto the glass? That's pretty creative.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

do you ever sleep cos?

and with that... thanks for keeping me slightly entertained tonight girls...

off work now... and about to be 420ed. urrrieee...

I just got home from spinning some club and I got to travel tomorrow (see announcements section) so I'm a little antsy.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

woah, so the album cover is somehow printed onto the glass? That's pretty creative.

Well, all I can say is there are a few secret techniques involved.

They are still proto-types. Im still trying to figure out how to make them more stable so they can be put in the dishwasher and stuff. Im getting there.

Since our ebay name is Wax Therapy I'm thinking of including one as a bonus in picture cover auctions above 50 or 75 bucks. Do you think people would be stoked on that???

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I think it would be a fabulous addition to anyone's expedit.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what would y'all do if I were the one to make this thread

you guys don't evenly distribute the hate around here

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    DUDE

DUDE!

Sell that record and you are selling part of yourself.

That record is beyond classic.

It does lack a little on the latin fi-ya side though.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've had my o.g. of this since before samplers were invented, and back when diggin' was something you did in the garden. I loved it then, and I love it now. Personally, I would never sell it, if only because it'd probably cost me at least ten times what I paid (one English pound back in 1980) if I wanted to replace it. Your mileage may vary.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    yeah i don't really dig it either.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm only just now getting to the point where I can break up my complete Funkadelic collection....

But that's not one of the records I'm cutting.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    You need to keep that record. Right now you're all into the Latin, but that might change and as someone already pointed out, you might then regret getting rid of this fine piece of Black Rock Funk.

Go back and listen to some of the best tunes IMO on that record. I'll Bet You, Music For My Mother, Good Old Music, I Got A Thing You Got A Thing Everybody's Got A Thing, etc.

It's definitely something that keep in the collection.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    If you dont like the record, fine, but I have never understood having a record collection that is only made up of the uber raer/obscure. If you are into soul music, why wouldnt you want to have the classics as well? Seems silly to me to have, say a Turner Bros. LP in the collection, but no Funkadelic or the like...

I know most dudes up here know Funkadelic and other classics inside and out, but this thread kinda reminds me of the danny digalots 'round theseaprts who sweat the $500 45, but if you played them an "Engine Number Nine" or a "Rockin' in the same old boat" they wouldnt even know who the fuck you were playing, but who's curiosity about the records would disappear as soon as you told them they were $1 45s. (KEEP IN MIND I AM NOT SAYING ANY POSTER IN THIS THREAD IS OF THAT ILK...ALL "FUCK YOU, I KNOW SOUL BETTER THAN YOU" RESPONSES WILL BE IGNORED...Sorry, but I had to say that, because it seems dudes just read what they wanna read, especially if it can be beef inducing)

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

naw man freal whats the big deal to keep? ive had this numerous times and i still cant find a place for it on my shelf... not everyone needs a funkadelic on the shelf.

i actually got my copy from you jinx a few years ago. it's a keeper to me, but different strokes for different folks.

• It's not really movin' me like a record I would keep should.

sell and get yer $20+. there are better records than that common LP to keep on your shelf...

This is a common record?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Never have, never will!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It's not really movin' me like a record I would keep should.

sell and get yer $20+. there are better records than that common LP to keep on your shelf...

This is a common record?

Sayin'. I don't get this either. In the UK, it was a cut-out bin staple in the early 80's, when you could pick up (as I did) almost the entire Parliafunkadelicment catalogue for around ??15, complete with posters, iron-on transfers, comic books, the lot. Of course, you can get the reissue anywhere now, but it's been a long time since I saw an o.g.

I'm sure that album's a lot more common, relatively speaking, in the US, but I wouldn't bet on the condition being all that hot.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    what is soul? Rey don't know!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

yeah this thread proves how up tight [as if we didn't already know]redundo really is

you need to
    get your ass beat
    or beat some ass
    drop acid/x at least once
    smoke some weed
    do some kung fu or yoga
    meditate
    have a religious experience
    travel to europe or south america or africa
    have sex with a big booty latina/black girl/or a crazy white girl
    get a tattoo or a prince albert
    then maybe you'll be half cool and begin to understand the funk
    till then you really are officially an unfunky toy/weenie

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

yeah this thread proves how up tight [as if we didn't already know]redundo really is

you need to
    get your ass beat
    or beat some ass
    smoke some weed
    do some kung fu or yoga
    meditate
    I have too much self respect and inherent worth to be anything like you.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

you need to
    get your ass beat
    or beat some ass
    smoke some weed
    do some kung fu or yoga
    meditate

Eat some stewed chicken and breadfruit while you're at it.

• what is soul? Rey don't know!

you need to
    get your ass beat
    or beat some ass
    smoke some weed
    do some kung fu or yoga
    meditate

Eat some stewed chicken and breadfruit while you're at it.

skip the prince albert and just eat chitlins foo yung

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

you need to
    get your ass beat
    or beat some ass
    smoke some weed
    do some kung fu or yoga
    meditate
    I have too much self respect and inherent worth to be anything like you.

sorry sonny but i know you can't read music or play any instruments,let alone program beats or produce/enigineer/do live sound/FOH for a LIVING.

the truth is you are an internet informed consumer with a very narrow limited taste in music
    just like you unloaded all of that hip hop when you were "over the Trend"
    one day you will sell all of yer wax when you get over it
    now sit back down in your little palmspringsnightmare/bubble and keep that lp
    SON

REDUNDO=definition Of MAXIMUM POSER TOY

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

This is a common record?

Sayin'. I don't get this either. In the UK, it was a cut-out bin staple in the early 80's, when you could pick up (as I did) almost the entire Parliafunkadelicment catalogue for around ??15, complete with posters, iron-on transfers, comic books, the lot. Of course, you can get the reissue anywhere now, but it's been a long time since I saw an o.g.

I'm sure that album's a lot more common, relatively speaking, in the US, but I wouldn't bet on the condition being all that hot.

true, condition does vary but i found a copy at the flea market last weekend for $2 that ill be flipping at the next show. i always see delic/clinton lps and only buy them when theyre minty or at least vg+. i like the group enough to make a few bucks on em... and ill say it again, i dont hate the record/group or even dislike it/them... however that record is somewhat forgettable to someone who doesnt care for that funk style.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Keep or sell, hit it and quit it, sell or smell. Do what you have to do.

I remember when it wasn't a common album, but after Ace reissued it on vinyl in the early 90's, it pops up more frequently, same with the Westbound Ohio Players stuff.

There's enough people complaining about whatever, put it on eBay and you're sure to get a decent price.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

This is a common record?

Sayin'. I don't get this either. In the UK, it was a cut-out bin staple in the early 80's

In the US in the eighties, I can remember when the only Westbound Funkadelic albums I ever saw were the two best-ofs.

I'm sure that album's a lot more common, relatively speaking, in the US

Relatively speaking, yes, but it's not to the point where you see Cosmic Slop in the used dollar bins next to Saturday Night Fever.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    If you dont like the record, fine, but I have never understood having a record collection that is only made up of the uber raer/obscure. If you are into soul music, why wouldnt you want to have the classics as well? Seems silly to me to have, say a Turner Bros. LP in the collection, but no Funkadelic or the like...

I know most dudes up here know Funkadelic and other classics inside and out, but this thread kinda reminds me of the danny digalots 'round theseaprts who sweat the $500 45, but if you played them an "Engine Number Nine" or a "Rockin' in the same old boat" they wouldnt even know who the fuck you were playing, but who's curiosity about the records would disappear as soon as you told them they were $1 45s. (KEEP IN MIND I AM NOT SAYING ANY POSTER IN THIS THREAD IS OF THAT ILK...ALL "FUCK YOU, I KNOW SOUL BETTER THAN YOU" RESPONSES WILL BE IGNORED...Sorry, but I had to say that, because it seems dudes just read what they wanna read, especially if it can be beef inducing)

FUCK YOU, I KNOW SOUL BETTER THAN YOU.

And I just got that astrud gilberto you hipped me to.