Imus: The Rap Backlash

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Today on Oprah a panel discussion with Sharpton, Crouch and that Whitlock dude amongst others talking about how rap is denigrating black people and women. Snoop is definitely in their sites. I could see this building momentum. Shit might get ugly here real soon.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Today on Oprah a panel discussion with Sharpton, Crouch and that Whitlock dude amongst others talking about how rap is denigrating black people and women. Snoop is definitely in their sites. I could see this building momentum. Shit might get ugly here real soon.

As a guy who does not listen to rappers like Snoop I might not know what I am talking about but... I under the impression that Snoop raps about prostitutes who he calls hos. I don't think he calls champion basketball teams hos. But I could be wrong. In truth I would love to hear rappers clean up their language, especially in regards to the N word.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shits corny. some fool was spitting that shit in my history class today and i had to shut him up with that bullshit. it's sad that sharpton has to go on that shit now so it seems like he aint on some kill whitey shit or whatever

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Is Imus gonna claim rap music made him say nappy head-hoes?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I could see this building momentum. Shit might get ugly here real soon.

hopefully their 'sights' are focused on actual perpetrators, instead of deriding the entire hiphop genre wholesale.

As a guy who does not listen to rappers like Snoop I might not know what I am talking about but... I under the impression that Snoop raps about prostitutes who he calls hos. I don't think he calls champion basketball teams hos. But I could be wrong. In truth I would love to hear rappers clean up their language, especially in regards to the N word.

PS: I don't think there is any connection between rap lyrics and Don Imus.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    too late the Kunt is out of the bag

thank satan for a Lord Like Zappa
    Snoop is coachin' kids football[ for 400 mandatory hours] ease back on the LBC G.

aheemmm note my post count [like chocula on sat morn]

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

hopefully their 'sights' are focused on actual perpetrators, instead of deriding the entire hiphop genre wholesale.

plaese to explain.

what good rappers have never said "ho"?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i just don't see how people aren't able to differentiate between imus calling a group of girls he does not know hos and snoop dogg or any other rapper referring to a specific woman (real or fictional) a ho.

i just don't see how people aren't able to differentiate between imus calling a group of girls he does not know hos and snoop dogg or any other rapper referring to a specific woman (real or fictional) a ho.

Thats what I was trying to say.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

plaese to explain.

i couldn't tell you... but there's definitely a difference b/w the lyrics in the average gangster rap track and the average conscious rap track. but i don't see sharpton or oprah acknowledging that difference, or even acknowledging that there's a massive grey area.

• i just don't see how people aren't able to differentiate between imus calling a group of girls he does not know hos and snoop dogg or any other rapper referring to a specific woman (real or fictional) a ho.

Both are demeaning.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    In my world, a white man is not allowed to say nappy headed ho...on T.V. or radio. Period. I didnt know Imus. Now he's famous. It's like rap beef now. Shit makes you famous. People didnt know Kramer or Imus, now they famous...I'm even ashamed to post about it. I stop.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Both are demeaning.
    they sure are.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i do think rap is to blame..
    but ill go 1 step further and say not just rap but black culture in mainstream US media in general...
    if you notice the way blacks are portrayed on tv or in movies like barbershop/beautyshop/soul plane/ect. ect. ect.

its basically the same stereotypes over and over again.

the term "nappy headed ho" was probably used in more than 1 of those movies i just named...

and ironically, it's written by white people (like the character in qt's death proof for example...) but thats another story..

anyway
    imus probably thought he was being cleverly amusing in a ironic/hipster sort of way or something like that...
    no

People didnt know Kramer

• i just don't see how people aren't able to differentiate between imus calling a group of girls he does not know hos and snoop dogg or any other rapper referring to a specific woman (real or fictional) a ho.

Both are demeaning.
    they sure are.

Then why are you defending one?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Both are demeaning.
    they sure are.

Then why are you defending one?
    the world isn't happy and full of fucking roses. people say demeaning things and sometimes they are warranted. i do not see the problem in calling a ho a ho.

im talking about europe...seinfled was some almost-unknown TV show here. Didnt make big news.They only broadcasted two seasons in my country for example, and 3 years after the end of the show. And nobody in europe except UK made Kramer famous. He became so after his lil show. Same for Imus...

ps : sorry i tend to forget it's a US forum sometimes. I will try to be more precise and accurate.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    where do you think he even concocted the term "nappy headed hoes"?
    do u think he was playing crochet 1 day with his friends and came up with that?

he probably heard it on an episode of "girlfriend's"

i think he should have exercised alittle more tact because of the statute of limitations that white people have to comply with when discussing race issues publically in america..
    but im sure he had no idea it was going to be drawn out into such a big deal when he said it.
    no

• the world isn't happy and full of fucking roses. people say demeaning things and sometimes they are warranted. i do not see the problem in calling a ho a ho.[/b]

Shit happens, huh? I didn't know that!

You're ignorant.

Please don't have kids.

yea and when you watch Bruce Lee, you try to kick the shit out of anything you find around you. But it should last 5 minutes. Or you're a psycho thinking you acquier kung-fu skillz thru watching TV. Imus can watch as much black shows, black movies, it don't gives him the right to call out people as he did. This is a typical excuse nowadays but people need to stop with that. Imus should be fined, suspended and period. No headlines. No coverage.

im talking about europe...seinfled was some almost-unknown TV show here. Didnt make big news.They only broadcasted two seasons in my country for example, and 3 years after the end of the show. And nobody in europe except UK made Kramer famous. He became so after his lil show. Same for Imus...

ps : sorry i tend to forget it's a US forum sometimes. I will try to be more precise and accurate.

typical Euros. y'all love these stories that show how racist the US is; must make you guys feel better or something.

meanwhile you sleep on the positives, like Sienfeld re-runs.

• yea and when you wtach Bruce Lee, you try to kick the shit out of anything you find around you. BUt it last 5 minutes. Or you're a psycho thinking you acquier kung fu skillz thru watching TV. Imus can watch as much black shows, black movis, it don't gives him the right to call out people as he did. This is a typical excuse nowadays but people need to stop with that. Imus should be fined, suspended and period. No headlines. No coverage.

Please stop.

plaese to explain.

i couldn't tell you... but there's definitely a difference b/w the lyrics in the average gangster rap track and the average conscious rap track. but i don't see sharpton or oprah acknowledging that difference, or even acknowledging that there's a massive grey area.

yeah I just don't wanna see "concious rap" championed here. after all, it's the worst rap out these days.

no i sleep on The Wire (season 4) and Sopranos (season 6), thanks...US didnt invent racism. Euro did. SO we are the champion if you want. You're happy...What kind of bullshit is that??? Everytime something is being said about America, y'all jump in the ship like the flag is being attacked. I admire all that patriostism. But i do live in another dimension where a motherfucker is a motherfucker, wherever he lives, whoever he is. I know y'all need to give "passes" to talk about America. Well, im not here to flash my pass. I'm half-American if that can concern you. Got a blue passport by mariage. Your authorities gave it to me. How stupid is that to give a blue passport to my Euro ass? Well, im not a threat. Think about that twice. I even have more "passes" for you, but im not flashing...as i said.

To com back on th subject, talking about Imus is NOT talking about americans. It's about ONE dumb white mofockers. We dont need to take it to a national identity crisis my man...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

i think he should have exercised alittle more tact because of the statute of limitations that white people have to comply with when discussing race issues publically in america..

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but it's actually quite acceptable to say "nappy headed ho" when discussing race issues publicly in America. In fact, that's what we're doing right here - talking about the dude who said "nappy headed ho." In fact, discussing the state of racism in America is one of the only times it is acceptable to throw around just about any racially loaded term, as long as its in the context of discussing the use of the term.

It's not like Imus was saying, "Did you hear about that politician who called his lawyer a "nappy headed ho?" How crazy is that? And do you think it's more racially or sexually offensive to call a woman a "nappy headed ho?" Said in all sincerity, there's nothing wrong with that statement.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the world isn't happy and full of fucking roses. people say demeaning things and sometimes they are warranted. i do not see the problem in calling a ho a ho.[/b]

You're ignorant.

Please don't have kids.
    you're more of a bitch than a bitch

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    you're right i guess i didn't word that the right way.

i should have said when discussing anything that is racially related in america.

Didn't mean to mess with you just on semantics, but I wasn't sure if that was just a misused phrase or if that's what you actually meant.

Man, I really need to stop messing with these race threads.

• the world isn't happy and full of fucking roses. people say demeaning things and sometimes they are warranted. i do not see the problem in calling a ho a ho.[/b]

You're ignorant.

Please don't have kids.

Yo, drama teacher.

You go in some thread, and you whine because you said you were a drama teacher and then people call you out? asshurt for dayzzzz on that. waaaaaaaambulance, 'how could you bring up my teaching???' when you did it in the first place.

And then, you take some 'Don't have kids,' moral stance on this?

GTFOOHWTBS.

Man...you bug me so much i am about to make you my first 'ignore'. i hope your students have the same good sense.

where do you think he even concocted the term "nappy headed hoes"?
    do u think he was playing crochet 1 day with his friends and came up with that?

he probably heard it on an episode of "girlfriend's"

but im sure he had no idea it was going to be drawn out into such a big deal when he said it.

Again, you and old stinky sneakers need to learn some history.

Black people did not invent racism. Calling Black women whores, and using nappy as a negative comes from White American culture not Black culture. Blacks have been oppressed in this country for centuries by the dominate White culture. It is the dominate White culture that from the earliest days of slavery have stereotyped Blacks as sexual beings. DWC came up with the negative terms used for Blacks like nappyheaded.

I just realized how ridiculus this is. You guys think Blacks and Whites are equal except Blacks just don't know how to act and nothing I say will change you.