DJ SPINNA APPRECIATION

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Has anyone heard the new Polyrhythm addicts record? I think the beat is sick and he's also got a new 45 out that's all over the internet called "the ill kudana"- real good. I was just thinking how long this dude has been puttin down consistent work. From the rawkus era on. Not to mention what an incredible DJ he is. DJ SPINNA GETS PROPS!

Comments

• edotedot 12 Posts

agree.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Super nice guy as well. He came into my shop last year, bought a bunch of stuff and was way down to earth.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    his wifey is a sweetheart.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    I.G. Off and Hazadous "This Aint Livin" is still one of my favorite beats.

• His All Mixed Up mix CD is

underrated or underappreciated producer for sure...

• One of the best times i've ever had at a club was catching him deejay a night at club six in san francisco. Also the first time I heard Stevie Wonder being played in a "club" setting. Tres Awesome.

Dude had a lot of dope shit back in the late 90's. I was always impressed with how great his drums sounded and how he would really add a lot of subtle elements to his beats. I really can't say I check for him too much of his material now a days (His Stevie Wonder remix is fiyah though and spine put up some new indian beat which is crazy).

I heard he got crazy raer as well.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Why isn't he doing 50, Fobolus or dipset beats? seriously i think it would be a great fit.

• underrated or underappreciated producer for sure...

Why isn't he doing 50, Fobolus or dipset beats? seriously i think it would be a great fit.

please be serious.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Fobolus

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts

agree.

Dude is crazy on the beats. Visualize!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Compositions

• the homie for sure.
    days like this.
    his house tracks are where its at...they really put him on the map.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

agree.

Dude is crazy on the beats. Visualize!

please be serious.

I'M DEAD SERIOUS.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Spinna was one of those misunderstood producer like Shawn J Period. They both ended up disliking rap music for what it turned out into. I heard Shawn is even an anti-sample dude now...I wouldnt be surprised to hear Spinna going the same way. I tought he was getting away from Hip-Hop when he started to do house music. Spinna was a master at drums (Phonics noticed that...). He also had some heavy talents for layering filtered samples and adding some organic touch with keyboards. I know some dudes remember some joints like NOTS click on Official Records or Jiggmastaz and the Vampire of Dartmoore sample. Everlasting props event tho' i dont bump much of his current projects. Oh and yes i heard the Polyrythm Addict, i liked the track with Monch.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I'm looking foward to the release of the new Polyrhythm Addicts
    I heard 2 tracks from it "Reachin'" and "It's my life" sounding good.
    Dont forget Joc Max is big part of the equation as well he deserves props.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I heard Shawn is even an anti-sample dude now...

I read that this was more to do with his "Born Again" beliefs as he now views sampling as "stealing"... :5pager:

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    Good dude. I opened for him a few years back, he was super down to earth and played a very smooth house set. Last year I saw him do a hip hop & breaks set, that was entertaining also.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That double cd promo of the Stevie Wonder covers he did w/ Bobbitto is st8 lava.

• I'm trying to hear some of dude's house mixes... anyone got an mp3?

Spinna's Les Nubians remix joint is

I read that this was more to do with his "Born Again" beliefs as he now views sampling as "stealing"... :5pager:

Interesting stuff - tell me more! (5pager:)

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Interesting stuff - tell me more! (5pager:)

he said that about seven years ago. i always thought it was suspect though - just pay to clear the sample, and BOOM, you're not stealing.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I'm looking foward to the release of the new Polyrhythm Addicts
    I heard 2 tracks from it "Reachin'" and "It's my life" sounding good.

the full length about two-thirds fiyah.. some of the beats venture into territory, but overall it's a good listen. plus the addition of Tiye is a good look, dope mc & producer imo..

we did an interview w/ spinna last year..

SPINNA INTERVIEW

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    what i heard is after the rawkus era, he tried to tranform his buzz ("universal magnetic", "body rock", Artifacts 2nd LP, some Mike Zoot, etc) and try to make money working with artists outside his circle. It so happened that his "agency" wasn't really good at representing him and he wasn't really moving forward enough to find new job. After a while it seems like Jesus called him. He answered...He started to say that sampling was stealing, which is clearly a stupid statement IF you declare your stuffs when you have to. Then he became a minister. He got back in the loop around 2005 with a 12" nobody knows about and that's pretty much it...

PS : nice itw...

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    BASEMENT KHEMIST[/b]

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He has the opening track on Sadat X - Black October Lp

• JIGMASTAS[/b]

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I'm trying to hear some of dude's house mixes... anyone got an mp3?

Spinna's Les Nubians remix joint is

peep his last LP "Intergalactic Soul," it's mostly downtempo and deep house, w/ some hiphop thrown in for good measure..

• BASEMENT KHEMIST[/b]

Vibrate

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    BASEMENT KHEMIST[/b]

Yes! That "Everybody"/"Vibrate" 12" on Beyond Real is a great example of top-end mid-to-late 90's indie for me.