DJ SPINNA APPRECIATION

2»

Comments

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    SOME OLD DJ SPINNA MIX SETS FROM THE RADIO SHOW. ENJOY http://www.hiphopmusic.com/radio.html

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I heard Shawn is even an anti-sample dude now...

I read that this was more to do with his "Born Again" beliefs as he now views sampling as "stealing"... :5pager:

Interesting stuff - tell me more! (5pager:)

he said that about seven years ago. i always thought it was suspect though - just pay to clear the sample, and BOOM, you're not stealing.

Man, it seems like even as much as TEN years ago when I first heard about this. I had barely even known of the dude for a minute when he made his intention known. Anyway...

"To set the record straight, I don't believe sampling in and of it self is stealing and/or sinning. If you pay for the use of a copyrighted work it is a legitimate business transaction. Since my goal has always been to establish a musical legacy of greater originality, I will continue with the use of original sound sources. On isolated occasions in the future you may hear me sample another person's music or voice (paid for of course), but it will be just that, isolated. I felt it necessary to clarify this subject as I have heard various explanations over the years about my departure from music and sampling. There's nothing like getting a truthful answer from the source of a thing when questions arise." - Shawn J. Period (from his myspace page)

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Carleen Anderson/Agent K's "Rideaway Getaway" Spinna mix is majestic. Spinna keeps it interesting the whole way through. I don't celebrate his entire output but when it's good, it's fantastic.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Carleen Anderson/Agent K's "Rideaway Getaway" Spinna mix is majestic. Spinna keeps it interesting the whole way through. I don't celebrate his entire output but when it's good, it's fantastic.

YO - Is your avatar Beyonce?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Hey, here's a smooth R&B track from Spinna's 2002 record "Here To There." Pretty nice stuff, me thinks.

http://download.yousendit.com/8958876964E323E8

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    I saw spinna about a year ago a Cielo doing a house set...Really good house tunes, smooth mixing... He ended the night with a song that sounded like it was the doobie brothers. One of my favorite djs.