New disco recommendations?

13»

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    But he sounds almost TOO restrained to me sometimes. Maybe borderline adult-contempodisco? that could be too harsh.

I HEAR THAT.

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    Metro Area

i dont know much about this stuff - but i've loved everything i've heard by them . Also check for Nick Chacona - same kinda stuff and dope as hell!
    i like metro area a fair amount, but does anyone else think they might border on the trip-hop version of disco sometimes? no? ok maybe i'm overreaching. But he sounds almost TOO restrained to me sometimes. Maybe borderline adult-contempodisco? that could be too harsh.

no. its also two dudes, not a he. if you listen to early morgan geist shit or even more current stuff done under aliases (jersey devil social club) you'll see they run muchhh deeper than mainstreamed disco revival b.s. I can agree with "restrained" though, not that it's a bad thing. theres still a ton of oddball shit on the full length though--maybe listen more?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Metro Area

i dont know much about this stuff - but i've loved everything i've heard by them . Also check for Nick Chacona - same kinda stuff and dope as hell!
    i like metro area a fair amount, but does anyone else think they might border on the trip-hop version of disco sometimes? no? ok maybe i'm overreaching. But he sounds almost TOO restrained to me sometimes. Maybe borderline adult-contempodisco? that could be too harsh.

no. its also two dudes, not a he. if you listen to early morgan geist shit or even more current stuff done under aliases (jersey devil social club) you'll see they run muchhh deeper than mainstreamed disco revival b.s. I can agree with "restrained" though, not that it's a bad thing. theres still a ton of oddball shit on the full length though--maybe listen more?

nah i've listened to it a lot since it came out ... i did note it was a 'they' btw, typo in the 4th sentence aside, but i think its just an issue i have with the overall aesthetic. i mean fuck i like german house so i don't know why it would be an issue here but i just find it extremely tasteful. not cheesy enough, or something.

true. i could be assuming here, but i think some of the more polished, tempered vibes comes from darshan jesrani. from interviews i've read, he seems more into the straight forward classic disco/deeper side of house. morgan geist was influenced by alot of weirder shit though, severed heads and more new wavey synth pop and italo, etc..lots of raw detroit techno sound in there too. his solo stuff is alot quirkier, and with more edge.

broken link

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i should hope everyone in this thread knows about it, but http://www.beatsinspace.net/main.html has an incredible archive of playlists w/ a variety of DJs playing lots of this shit...check out Lee Douglas, DJ Spun from Rong music, Michael Mayer, and of course plenty of the sets Tim Sweeney does weekly are great. Fully downloadable mixes, too

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    right now tho its all larry heard all the time:
    http://dhpmixes.com/mixes/LarryHeard032207.mp3

• true. i could be assuming here, but i think some of the more polished, tempered vibes comes from darshan jesrani. from interviews i've read, he seems more into the straight forward classic disco/deeper side of house. morgan geist was influenced by alot of weirder shit though, severed heads and more new wavey synth pop and italo, etc..lots of raw detroit techno sound in there too. his solo stuff is alot quirkier, and with more edge.

Agreed. Has anyone peeped the new Environ release by their new act, "Baby Oliver?" Came out last week... Much darker than anything I've previously heard on the label.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=220297480&s=143441

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    donno if this counts as 'disco' but man i'm loving todd terje's ironkuru mix:

http://s100729262.websitehome.co.uk/blog-archive/000074.php

its old as fuck i know but still worth checking if you haven't heard it
    1.Giorgio Farina - Discocross
    2.Disco Very - Get It On edit
    3.Lindstrom - Another Station remix
    4.Nazareth - Morning Dew
    5.Ray Mang - Toffee Crisp
    6.The Broads - Sing Sing Sing
    7.Fleetwood Mac - World Turning
    8.Kc - Boogie Man edit
    9.Kebekelektrik - Mirage
    10.Lindstrom & Isabelle - Boks
    11.Arbeid Adelt - Death Disco edit
    12.Q Base - The Rain
    13.Rita Jean Bodine - That's The Kind Of Love
    14.Felix Laband - Whistling In Tongues remix
    15.Pat Metheny - Spring Ain't Here
    16.Chris Rea - Josephine

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    donno if this counts as 'disco' but man i'm loving todd terje's ironkuru mix:

http://s100729262.websitehome.co.uk/blog-archive/000074.php

its old as fuck i know but still worth checking if you haven't heard it
    1.Giorgio Farina - Discocross
    2.Disco Very - Get It On edit
    3.Lindstrom - Another Station remix
    4.Nazareth - Morning Dew
    5.Ray Mang - Toffee Crisp
    6.The Broads - Sing Sing Sing
    7.Fleetwood Mac - World Turning
    8.Kc - Boogie Man edit
    9.Kebekelektrik - Mirage
    10.Lindstrom & Isabelle - Boks
    11.Arbeid Adelt - Death Disco edit
    12.Q Base - The Rain
    13.Rita Jean Bodine - That's The Kind Of Love
    14.Felix Laband - Whistling In Tongues remix
    15.Pat Metheny - Spring Ain't Here
    16.Chris Rea - Josephine

insert new bearded gremlin here saying "balearic"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    insert new bearded gremlin here saying "balearic"

haha word

sort of surprising it took david mancuso-style so long to really hit
    this stuff will be dead by the end of the year but might as well enjoy it while its fresh.