New disco recommendations?

Comments

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Oh, and for new Norwegian disco (or dance, really) check out this homgrown dude:

myspace.com/amiganjaal

- J

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    love from from daniel wang

) Philosophy of BALIHU: disco, sampling, rhythm and future plans. When do you work on a new track what kind of approach do you prefer? Immediate and instinctive or technical and rational?

ACTUALLY let me be very specific. I basically hate sampling old disco records. If someone has not enough originality to make a bassline or melody, they shouldn???t make music. But lately, I sampled a rhythm pattern from a record - just because I haven???t done it for a long time, and I don???t want to be too dogmatic!!

thoughts on this comment... dogmatic or contrary ?

i think sampling old music has to do with alot more then just originality...cmon.

In the world of house music, there were way too many crap ass sampled filtered disco loop records, so there had to be some sort of backlash.

Oddly enough, I think my favorite Danny Wang records are the ones he sampled records, and played over the samples. His other stuff is amazing too, but has a different feel to it.

My opinion is becuase the musicianship takes precedent over the need to make his shit bump in the club. So they sound wonderful, and are really interesting and the arrangements are very complex etc., but I don't really feel the need to jack in the club to them or whatever. It's all part of his personality and his "mission", and it shines through in his music like any real talented musician should. So even though I don't go nuts to dance to all of his records, I still buy them because there is always something really good about them.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    but I don't really feel the need to jack in the club to them or whatever. It's all part of his personality and his "mission", and it shines through in his music like any real talented musician should. So even though I don't go nuts to dance to all of his records, I still buy them because there is always something really good about them.

iPod disco.

Oh shit 1000!!!

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    but I don't really feel the need to jack in the club to them or whatever. It's all part of his personality and his "mission", and it shines through in his music like any real talented musician should. So even though I don't go nuts to dance to all of his records, I still buy them because there is always something really good about them.

iPod disco.

Oh shit 1000!!!

Hahaha true, but I am actually a firm believer in that there is always a moment to play that stuff in the club. You need to make the night interesting, you need fast moments, slow moments, straight "feeling it/jacking" moments, and some heady spaced out moments to have a good all around club experience. Throw on the smoke machines and a strobe light when you play Balihu 11.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    hey where do most of you dudes dj? are you guys from a bunch of different cities or all from the ny area or bay area or ... ?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    hey where do most of you dudes dj? are you guys from a bunch of different cities or all from the ny area or bay area or ... ?

Da Mindgarden

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I mostly play hip-hop and top 40 stuff wherever there is a nice paycheck nowadays.

But I've been playing deep house and disco in places all over NYC since about 1994. I've played main floor of Roxy a bunch of times, the main floor and rooftop of Carbon in the summertime was dope, lots of rave afterhour parties and side House rooms, tons of lounges in the later 90s because that's where the gigs were coming in from for that type of music.

All the disco stuff I've been buying the last couple of years is mostly for me. I've occasionally thrown some loft parties, did an event with Danny Krivit a couple of years ago (we had 1,000 people show up), and I sometimes till do some small underground type of nights.

But like I said before, mostly commercial DJ'ing nowadays that pays the bills.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Thanks for all the good suggestions. Taking notes.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i've been enjoying these podcasts for awhile
    http://www.beatsinspace.net/main.html

• You should wait for the Million Dollar Orchestra album.. it??s gonna be off the hook!

http://www.myspace.com/milliondollarorch

http://www.milliondollardisco.com

You bet your sweet teeth it will.......

• chicken lips.
    inmates "bread and water"

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    A lot of the stuff people are listing is sort of new Italo-ish sounding house.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    word... im not down with that italo soundin disco..
    someone give me somethin like patchwork ginger express - brothers on the slide type disco

• word... im not down with that italo soundin disco..
    someone give me somethin like patchwork ginger express - brothers on the slide type disco

that's a great record. Can some re-up that for me? I lost my vinyl version.

IMO: I see the new disco stuff as music done in a disco style but being more influenced with what's been happening with dance and modern music. I mean, honestly if it didn't have all these new styles fused in it would sort of come off as as some seriously contrived b.s. (a la all these damn new funk 45's that pretty much suck).

and isn't italo disco still disco music?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

IMO: I see the new disco stuff as music done in a disco style but being more influenced with what's been happening with dance and modern music. I mean, honestly if it didn't have all these new styles fused in it would sort of come off as as some seriously contrived b.s. (a la all these damn new funk 45's that pretty much suck).

It gets more confusing than that:

Isn't new disco really just house music?

House music was just cheaper synthesized disco becuase no one could afford to put together disco records anymore. So all house records are technically new disco records aren't they?

• word... im not down with that italo soundin disco..

House music was just cheaper synthesized disco becuase no one could afford to put together disco records anymore. So all house records are technically new disco records aren't they?

I was thinking the same thing. The lines are blured. Or aren't most hip-hop songs just soul or jazz songs?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. The lines are blured. Or aren't most hip-hop songs just soul or jazz songs?

I hear what you are saying, but the new disco vs house thing is waaaaay closer than that.

House was technically music played at The Warehouse in Chicago, the same way Garage was music played at The Paradise Garage. Both words mean different things now, oddly enough the records played at the garage and the warehouse are almost identical. One of the main differences being Chicago playing a bit more of the imports (italo) and some more of the new wave stuff.

The morphing of disco into house was when disco was not being funded by labels anymore, and no one could afford to make any new disco. Not many new records were coming out so in order to spice shit up in the club competitive DJs in NYC and Chicago started using drum machines and re-editing their disco to death, and playing drum machine beats in the clubs under the songs. The producers took the cheap drum machines and started pressing them on wax. So everyone bought keyboards and drum machines and started pressing shit up. Isn't House just cheap disco?

To make things more confusing, you have people like Little Louie Vega paying several musicians at times to make a record nowadays, so how is this considered House music? Isn't this new disco? New dane r&b? Wasn't that disco? Is a new LLV record House? What does it all mean???

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

The morphing of disco into house was when disco was not being funded by labels anymore, and no one could afford to make any new disco. Not many new records were coming out so in order to spice shit up in the club competitive DJs in NYC and Chicago started using drum machines and re-editing their disco to death, and playing drum machine beats in the clubs under the songs. The producers took the cheap drum machines and started pressing them on wax. So everyone bought keyboards and drum machines and started pressing shit up. Isn't House just cheap disco?

you just explained to me why when I first started buying (vintage) disco I kept getting bizarre flashbacks from all the house records I grew up with that sampled the club classics. And how singers like Chaka Khan and Candi Staton got renewed careers by performing at raves over heavy 808 beats. They were cheap by that time

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i don't hear very much italo in this stuff, or there's some influence but its a whole variety of shit.

i donno maybe there was someone specifically mentioning some italo songs but for the most part it just seemed like modern disco with lots of different influences

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

LLV is one of house music's best DJs of all time.

I've seen him kill it night, after night, after night after night... been following him since the early 90s. It's actually beenn a few years since I've gone to peep him, but homeboy knows EXACTLY how to work a room full of dancers, how to work a soundsystem, hot to work a crossover, etc. I haven't been exactly too into the bongo house thing over the years, but I've still got a ton of respect for the man.

It's too bad that room in the first clip is pretty empty though

NYC house is more or less RIP the last few years...

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    I dont think its dead yet it has gone back underground. Check out the 16 and 18 year old killing it in MIAMI.HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET IN THE CLUB.......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuOEsmQUvng&mode=related&search= SHOUT OUT TO LIL LOUIE AND HIS GRAMMY AWARD

• LLV is one of house music's best DJs of all time.

I've seen him kill it night, after night, after night after night... been following him since the early 90s. It's actually beenn a few years since I've gone to peep him, but homeboy knows EXACTLY how to work a room full of dancers, how to work a soundsystem, hot to work a crossover, etc. I haven't been exactly too into the bongo house thing over the years, but I've still got a ton of respect for the man.

It's too bad that room in the first clip is pretty empty though

NYC house is more or less RIP the last few years...

louie is the man but this clip is nagl.
    lol...freaking eqs to a dead room and some whistling fools....who think freaking eqs is really hard.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    LOL I think he was just testing out the new BOZAK ISOLATOR in that clip.Shout out to JELLYBEAN he played at STUDIO 54 back in the day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKr2tynnD6c

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    LOL I think he was just testing out the new BOZAK ISOLATOR in that clip.

He looks like he is joking at times, but certain parts still sounded good regardless.

I do hate the over EQ'ing that has gotten very popular in the house scene since the late 90s. It's all Joe Clausell's fault.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Co-sizzle on that Chas Yankel vs Steve Kotey record. Very nice.

Big fan of both the balearic/nu disco sound as Derrick Carter's jacking disciples.

It's all good.

• jacking

knowledge my wet-mouth on what "jacking" means.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Metro Area

i dont know much about this stuff - but i've loved everything i've heard by them . Also check for Nick Chacona - same kinda stuff and dope as hell!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    jacking

knowledge my wet-mouth on what "jacking" means.
    http://www.amazon.com/Trax-Records-20th-Anniversary-Collection/dp/B0001XAOFC

you need this in your life

8. 7 Ways to Jack [Full Version] - Hercules

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Metro Area

i dont know much about this stuff - but i've loved everything i've heard by them . Also check for Nick Chacona - same kinda stuff and dope as hell!
    i like metro area a fair amount, but does anyone else think they might border on the trip-hop version of disco sometimes? no? ok maybe i'm overreaching. But he sounds almost TOO restrained to me sometimes. Maybe borderline adult-contempodisco? that could be too harsh.