Why do Old people not appreciate bass?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
Crazy old bitch next door is wilding. constantly. Most music is cool with her, but the minute the 808's come out its on! Shes all up at my door like "I dont mind music, what you're doing is not music". Im trying to play it cool but like just tell me to turn it down. I dont wanna get in some semantics debate with you about it. But she keeps tripping. talking bout "theres no melodies, all I hear is BOOM BOOM BOOM". At this point im to faded to even deal with the conversation, so I say "look, ill turn it down, chill." and bust out the headphones. Is it because real BOTTOM wasnt invented in the 50's and shit? How can you not appreciate that BOOM? Whats music if its not hittin? right? Anyway, no love for old people who hate on bass. ......Not to sound racist against old people or something. Im just saying!

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    sounds like she hates hiphop more than bass

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

......Not to sound racist against old people or something. Im just saying!

I think that's age-ist. But funny enough a for a lot of old people it's kinda of a racist thing. They associate the bass with "gangbangers" blasting music down the street when they drive. I was listening to some hip hop while doing yard work and my neighbor said " it sounds like some black people driving down the street". I told him to fuck off!!!!

I think your observation about old stuff not being very bassy is right as well. That's one I my biggest problems when I find some old stuff that I like. Never enough bass and the drums are always to low in the mix. So I'm sure some of it is just a generaltional thing on the asthetics of music. Never going to win that argument.

Part of it as well is that the bass really travels so to her all she hears is a thud thud thud like your pounding on the wall. I've had roommates that are totally cool with the music, but their like "dude I'm studying you have to turn the bass down". So i can understand some of it.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    BASS frequencies do things to the eardrums that nothing else does.

If someone above you is bumping shit really loud and all your hear is BASS, you can't tell me that it doesn't get on your nerves after a while. To anyone outside of the melodic listening space, it's just a constant rhythmic and droning thud. Especially 808s! The fact that they're old probably has a lot to do with it to, those generational differences popping up again.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts

They associate the bass with "gangbangers" blasting music down the street when they drive. I was listening to some hip hop while doing yard work and my neighbor said " it sounds like some black people driving down the street". I told him to fuck off!!!!

It's a Bass Attack!!! Everybody duck!! Drive-By Alert!!! Drive-By Alert!!

If someone above you is bumping shit really loud and all your hear is BASS, you can't tell me that it doesn't get on your nerves after a while. To anyone outside of the melodic listening space, it's just a constant rhythmic and droning thud. Especially 808s! The fact that they're old probably has a lot to do with it to, those generational differences popping up again.

Yea, that's what I was saying. If you thinnk about someone hammering that gets annoying but at least they stop every few minutes and take a break hear and there. But music is just nonstop thud, plus it will rattle stuff pretty far away, so I really can apriciate needing to keep it down. Something about a rythmic thud just messes with your system, sometimes good sometimes bad!

I even read an interview with a musician who's doctor told him to stop useing a drum machine so much. The guy was having heart issues and the doctor was convinced the constant exposure to a steady rythmic thud wasn't helping.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I know, I know. Im just complaining. Let me vent!

• Options
    NEver been to a Jamaican oldies dance, eh?

K.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I even like a lot of bass, but if you're not trying to listen to the music, it's annoying as fuck. Especially when all you hear is the bass by itself, like through an apartment wall, etc... annoying as fuck.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    BASS DOMINATOR!

ALL YOUR BASS BELONG TO US!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i left some 808 drum pattern loop on my mpc once when i went out and my moms was fucking furious

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I can't stand hearing shit repeat for forever through the wall either.

It would be good to torture your neighbor by leaving a 2 bar sequence running full blast for 24 hours straight.

It would be good to torture your neighbor by leaving a 2 bar sequence running full blast for 24 hours straight.

yeah, i understand that. I was able to do it at my old place which was sweet. now I gotta go to the studio.

BUt you dont understand, this isnt that type of situation. I use headphones all the time now. Its only like for 2 minutes when i put the speakers on to play the beat for my friend who came over. And its 3 in the afternoon. And immediately, she sounds like shes bashing her head against the wall. stupid bitch.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Crazy old bitch next door is wilding. constantly. Most music is cool with her, but the minute the 808's come out its on! Shes all up at my door like "I dont mind music, what you're doing is not music". Im trying to play it cool but like just tell me to turn it down. I dont wanna get in some semantics debate with you about it. But she keeps tripping. talking bout "theres no melodies, all I hear is BOOM BOOM BOOM". At this point im to faded to even deal with the conversation, so I say "look, ill turn it down, chill." and bust out the headphones.

Is it because real BOTTOM wasnt invented in the 50's and shit? How can you not appreciate that BOOM? Whats music if its not hittin? right? Anyway, no love for old people who hate on bass.

Dude I've been in your apartment while your bumping shit and let me tell you ITS LOUD!!!

I'm surprised you havent got more complaints on that shit. I mean I'm cool with it but if I was living next door to you I'd be banging on them walls til I broke on through and was able to turn down the volume myself.

but f'rills though old folks really don't like bass even my dad who is Deaf and used t bump hip hop stations in his car now perfersrocking them classical stations instead.

Crazy old bitch next door is wilding. constantly. Most music is cool with her, but the minute the 808's come out its on! Shes all up at my door like "I dont mind music, what you're doing is not music". Im trying to play it cool but like just tell me to turn it down. I dont wanna get in some semantics debate with you about it. But she keeps tripping. talking bout "theres no melodies, all I hear is BOOM BOOM BOOM". At this point im to faded to even deal with the conversation, so I say "look, ill turn it down, chill." and bust out the headphones.

Is it because real BOTTOM wasnt invented in the 50's and shit? How can you not appreciate that BOOM? Whats music if its not hittin? right? Anyway, no love for old people who hate on bass.

Dude I've been in your apartment while your bumping shit and let me tell you ITS LOUD!!!
    I'm surprised you havent got more complaints on that shit. I mean I'm cool with it but if I was living next door to you I'd be banging on them walls til I broke on through and was able to turn down the volume myself.

but f'rills though old folks really don't like bass even my dad who is Deaf and used t bump hip hop stations in his car now perfersrocking them classical stations instead.

dude. I moved. that was my old place. The walls were brick and the dude downstairs made beats louder than I did. My new spot im quiet as kept. Headphones all the time and I only play it on the speakers when Im testing a mix.

Yeah, I remember when I first fell in love with bass. Back in atlanta they used to have car stereo competitions. Its was insane. My man jordan got way to into it though. He went from listening to pretty much regular hip hop, to pretty much nothing but dj magic mike cds. Which was cool. But then he would just listen to the stero subwoofer show room demo cds that would just play a sine wave bass tone at different frequencies. He loved to see that car rattle.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Because hearing your neighbors bass is fucking annoying. Case closed. Respect your neighbors. Turn it down.

The worst is when you hear it for like 10 minutes and it stops and you think to yourself, "Thank god it stopped! Now I can rest" and then it starts up again two minutes later. That is fucking annoying. I'd rather hear it for 2 hours straight instead of it starting and stopping again and again. That fucking rags on me.

And for those wondering I live with two DJ/producers that make techno music and it can drive me nuts at times but they're pretty cool about keeping it down when it's late and that's the only time I really care.

Because hearing your neighbors bass is fucking annoying. Case closed. Respect your neighbors. Turn it down.

Gee. Ive only said about 10 times that I use headphones almost all day. I mean she is seriously bugging. No one else can even hear it, Ive spoke to all the other neighbors. This is also in the middle of the afternoon. On a sunday. You think she would be a little more tolerant.

AND, my real annoyance was not merely the fact that she told me to turn it down, but that she felt the need to try and lecture me about my music. DO you really read threads or do you just skim through it?

My bad, mabye you are an old person.

Don't get your panties all in a bunch. Nah, it's just I've had roommates that always act like my complaining about their music is somehow my problem. Just getting a little passive aggressive on you.

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts
    I do enjoy the ole'808 bass drum. If it comes with great music wrapped around it. If that was all I could hear"BOOM BOOM B,BOOM BOOM" thru the walls, It's like chinese water torture after a while. I've had my car rattle off it's hinges from 6 cars away by 808 bombast. I could not imagine being in the cab of it's source. My drummer has a Z drum setup for 808 along with his regular kit, and it is tremendous what it does to a crowd when he drops that shit in.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    dj magic mike cds

One of Mom's brand new Fisher home audio 15's blew thanks to this guy.

I've been lying to my Mom for 13-14 years now.

"Mijo, why does the speaker sound so weird?"

"I don't know, Ma. We should take it back and complain!"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    word Drewn. I get annoyed easily with people's music:

1) if it's crap

2) if it's loud and intruding my space

3) if it's crap, loud and intruding my space

damn, when i used to live in an apartment in La Jolla, these 2 kids right below me would blast rancid or sublime or whatever the tune of the day was, and start singing anywhere from 9-11am on the weekends yo! PRIME SLEEPING HOURS. shit used to drive me nuts. i'd stomp a couple times. they'd quiet down, you could still hear that shit. blah blah. like motherfucker, i am sleeping on one mattress, i could hear you singing the national anthem nice and clear. There were a couple occassions where I would stomp around just for the hell of it and blast music for a couple min. at like 11pm when those suckas were asleep. 'course there was also a time when a couple of us were watching the world cup games at like 5AM and start hollering. The parents below us started hitting against the ceiling, i thought that was funny.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    My music is bass heavy. I try to be considerate of my neighbors, keep it down. But the middle of the day is fair game. Granny needs to get laid or something. You up for the cause, bsides?

Don't get your panties all in a bunch. Nah, it's just I've had roommates that always act like my complaining about their music is somehow my problem. Just getting a little passive aggressive on you.

haha, nah, I can respect peoples need for quiet. I was just saying, what do you do when your neighbor is truly being rediculous about it?

I mean, if any of yall were here and I was trying to play something for you in the middle of the day at an acceptable volume, shed be slamming on the wall and shit. Im sure you would be like "damn!"

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Yeah I can appreciate that, but you know what (some) old people are like - they talk shit and you can't tell them anything cause its socially unacceptable to stand there dissing them in the street.

There are only a few ways hip-hop-dissing old people won't come knocking - If they go deaf, get put in a home or die man.

I love bass - cant get enough of it (the musical kind), but I need to be in immediate vacinity of it. All music sounds shit and annoying when listened to through the ceiling, wall or floor. Word.

So if she can hear it, I can understand her beef.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    My first landlord was a sweet 80+ year old lady who rented me an apartment in her renovated attic. I never blasted music, but I was obviously listening to it all the time. She brought it up one day that I listened to a lot of music and told me that she found the repetitive bass sound to be soothing when she was going to sleep.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Why is it when Bsides posts everybody gets confrontational? Weird.

man, so its not just me?

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

cosign.

It's the avatar.