Portland, What's Really Hood?

Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I'm heading to Portland tommorow morning for a few days vacation w/ my girl. What spots do I gotta check out? Although records are cool, I'm more or less looking for good spots to eat, dope museums, good clothing stores and etc.I'm gonna hit up Upperplayground down there, but I'm clueless as to what else.Holler w/ the ill spots!

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    just watched anthony bourdain's "no reservations" where he hit up the northwest. portland had the illest looking donut shop i've ever seen. lemme see if i can find the name.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    this pizza place was featured in the same episode. looked dope!!

http://www.apizzascholls.com/

maybe someone who has actually been to portland can give the low down on these spots. i just saw the "no reservations" and decided that i would go to these spots whenever i venture up north.

word boogers.

• Good looks on that info, doughnuts are actually one of my fav. foods.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    As far as eating spots are concered I'd recomend Todai in Pioneer Courthouse mall...They got the illest extraviganza. I'd stear clear of smoking meth and wearing all blue or red in any parts of Northeast Portland...You should prolly hit up 2nd ave records and cop Maniac Locs cd and just bump track number 1 all week.

Oh yeah and find someone who can get you in the Nike employee store...Beaverton is for suckas.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    As far as eating spots are concered I'd recomend Todai in Pioneer Courthouse mall...They got the illest extraviganza. I'd stear clear of smoking meth and wearing all blue or red in any parts of Northeast Portland...You should prolly hit up 2nd ave records and cop Maniac Locs cd and just bump track number 1 all week.

Oh yeah and find someone who can get you in the Nike employee store...Beaverton is for suckas.

Ahh... Yeah malls and gangs, they about sums up Portland. Oh yeah, Nikes and meth too.

For real there's more than that. There are hipster donuts and gourmet pizzas.

Give me a call when you get to town if you want to know about places that are not cool.

Dan
    Jump Jump Music

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

WTF?
    YNOT stop posting, this board is for grown folks.

• As far as eating spots are concered I'd recomend Todai in Pioneer Courthouse mall...They got the illest extraviganza. I'd stear clear of smoking meth and wearing all blue or red in any parts of Northeast Portland...You should prolly hit up 2nd ave records and cop Maniac Locs cd and just bump track number 1 all week.

WTF?
    YNOT stop posting, this board is for grown folks.

there's mad pdx folks on the board, steer clear of the mall and todai, if you want raw fish i can send you to the right place, if you want shoes, fashion, art, etc. there's folks here that will serve it up. and contrary to shite above, n.e. is gentrified to the fullest, no gang shit for days. . . dunno where that came from.

holler.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    holy shit! is that the mall w/ the ice skating rink??? i saw tonya harding skating there shortly after her olympic incident.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    this pizza place was featured in the same episode. looked dope!!

http://www.apizzascholls.com/

maybe someone who has actually been to portland can give the low down on these spots. i just saw the "no reservations" and decided that i would go to these spots whenever i venture up north.

word boogers.

I've never even heard of that place. I'm guessing they're relatively new? Out of all the great, well known pizza shops in Portland, it's weird they'd choose one even the locals aren't up on.

My favorite spot is new, though. Hammy's Pizza is owned by friends of mine, makes delicious pizza, and delivers until 4 a.m. Ashley's breakfast pie (potatoes, bacon, eggs, herbs, and hot sauce) is a work of culinary brilliance.

There is no reason to worry about gangs when in Portland (there's more reason to worry if you're a minority and a police officer spots you). I've lived in non-gentrified areas of "the hood" and I've never felt unsafe. I'm more worried where I am now, off 82nd, because of the hopped-up white trash.

Downtown is being partially torn apart to make the city look better for citizens/companies who may want to relocate here some day, but despite having their roads torn up, businesses are still open along 5th and 6th streets.

The Portland Art Museum is located at 1219 SW Park Ave. I'm not sure what special exhibits they have this month, but their permanent collection alone is worth the admission. Don't miss the NW Indian rooms.

Find Cinema 21 at 616 NW 21st Ave, and see Renoir's "Rules of the Game," or if you're here on the 30th, see Spike & Mikes Sick and Twisted Festival of Animation.

If you have time for records, head to Mississippi Records at 4007 N Mississippi Ave. Pull a stool up to the counter and ask Eric what's good, he'll tell you.

The Night Light Lounge, at 2100 SE Clinton (right next door to Hammy's Pizza), is a nice bar with a great menu. If you go Thursday night, you can see DJ Shines from the Lifesavas spin with Ubiquity Records artist Ohmega Watts. I haven't been yet, but I hear they put on a good show.

[I've never even heard of that place. I'm guessing they're relatively new? Out of all the great, well known pizza shops in Portland, it's weird they'd choose one even the locals aren't up on.

My favorite spot is new, though. Hammy's Pizza is owned by friends of mine, makes delicious pizza, and delivers until 4 a.m.

Can't front, never heard of Hammy's but I haven't lived in PDX since '98.
    My favorite was/is Escape From New York Pizza on NW 23rd, it's the real
    deal, hand tossed NY thin crust style. I can feel the New Yawkers rolling their
    eyes but it does your city proud, seriously it's better than a bunch of the slices
    I've had in New York.

Record stores aplenty all over town.
    Everyday Music- W Burnside and NE Sandy
    Jackpot-W Burnside and SE Hawthorne
    Crossroads Record Collective-SE Hawthorne
    2nd Ave Records-SW 2nd

And I know all the Portland guys really like Mississippi Records, but I seriously
    have never been impressed. I've only been twice but it seems like all they had was
    reissues. Am I trippin'?

holy shit! is that the mall w/ the ice skating rink??? i saw tonya harding skating there shortly after her olympic incident.

Nope wrong mall, Ms. Harding trained at the Clackamas Town Center, since Twoply is living off 82nd
    he'd be up on the CTC. Portland has 2 ice rinks in Malls, the Lloyd Center Rink was my spot back in the 80's!

And I know all the Portland guys really like Mississippi Records, but I seriously
    have never been impressed. I've only been twice but it seems like all they had was
    reissues. Am I trippin'?

Mississippi isn't about scoring mad heat. It's seeing someone's personal love of music realized.

reissues. Am I trippin'?

Mississippi isn't about scoring mad heat. It's seeing someone's personal love of music realized.

I can certainly respect that.

I have pulled some heavy pieces out of there, though. First Meters for $12, Sweet Charles for $35, off the top of my head.

I have pulled some heavy pieces out of there, though. First Meters for $12, Sweet Charles for $35, off the top of my head.

VERY NICE!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Good looks on that info, doughnuts are actually one of my fav. foods.

XV ( the bar where I work) is on the opposite side of the voodoo donut so if you go to get donuts at night, the portland way, then come check out XV. I'll be there Wed. night and Dj Wicked spins hip hop that night.

Amercian Dream is the pizza joint...slices to order of whatever you want. kind of out of the way but worth it.

Three Lions bakery has the best sandwhiches and three downtown locations.

You could go to the Portland city grill, Hubers or Velour for happy hour cheap eats and good food.

The PC Grill will give you a view, but it will be crowded probably ( tallest building in portland 30th floor, big pink cant miss it ) 4-6

Hubers is old world style and really good food, portlands oldest bar, tight 20's deco decor and spanish coffees to kill a man. 4-6 i think? love this place

Velour is more really good food for cheap, old town, cool building. better hours 3-6 late lunch style.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

reissues. Am I trippin'?

Eric has managed to pull off something I didn't think was possible; building genuine community around a record store that is fun, inclusive and personal. It would be hard to get all of that in one visit but this place grows on ya like moss. Oh and I have pulled all kinds of shit out of there.

Good looks on that info, doughnuts are actually one of my fav. foods.

Amercian Dream is the pizza joint...slices to order of whatever you want. kind of out of the way but worth it.

Good call I totally forgot about American Dream, delish!
    One thing I still haven't found in Seattle are really good
    little mexican joints (except Melena's), Portlands got a bunch,

La Sirenita- NE 20 something and Alberta
    Burrito Loco- 82nd Ave or N Lombard

Have fun, I'll be down for the Night Owl show in a couple weeks, I can't
    wait. I fuggin' miss that town.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    laserwolfs spot: jump jump music (im heading back this summer dan)
    mississippi records
    jackpot have a lot of good REISSUES & hiphop
    crossroads
    360 vinyl for hiphop

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    mississippi records
    crossroads
    360 vinyl for hiphop

Thanks, looking forward to seeing you.

I go to Miss Rec about 3-4 times a year,(some of these guys go 3-4 times a week) and Eric is never there when I go. Was just there this week. I've never pulled heat, but he always has nice records.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    mississippi records
    crossroads
    360 vinyl for hiphop

Thanks, looking forward to seeing you.

I go to Miss Rec about 3-4 times a year,(some of these guys go 3-4 times a week) and Eric is never there when I go. Was just there this week. I've never pulled heat, but he always has nice records.

I live around the corner so I go often enough. I don't think it's the best deal for a dealer. He's usually there thur through Sun.

BTW all strutters need to page homage to the OG PDX slanger of soulful wax LASERWOLF when in town. JUMPJUMP is a must. See you at the nightowl if not sooner Dan.

• I can't add too much to what's been said, although if you like local beer PM me for some serious recommendations. Gotta echo what the others said, make sure to see both Eric at Mississippi and Dan at Jump Jump for records, both extremely cool guys who go way beyond just being good dealers/shop owners. I have lots of records for sale too, no shop though.

Portland is just incredibly fun, feels like a playground for adults sometimes, I've been here a little under two years and am trying to enjoy as much as I can while I'm here, just tons of great stuff to do.

Have a great trip!

• Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the museums and spots to eat.

I'm gonna check out the Night Light tomorrow for sure too, I hollered at O yesterday about it. I really want to roll through Mississippi Recs as well.

So yeah, if anyones rolling to the Night Light tomorrow, I'll be the suave dude buying out the bar.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Same dudes just completed this last fall out at Pier Park. Full pipe is

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    haha just fucking with yall...But seriously it should be mandatory for anyone visitng Portland to cop a cd by one of the following artists:
    Cool Nutz
    G-izm
    Kenny Mack
    Mainiac Loc

• smokedogsmokedog 34 Posts
    voodoo donut is one of the greatest places in the whole damn country.

check the sunday night shows at Dantes. After the gig, it's dante's sinferno/ adult industry night and half the strippers in town are naked onstage. they also have killer pizza there. accross the parking lot is berbati's, which has good shows and killer cheap greek food.

Cool Nutz

Terrance was in my 6th grade class, great guy, good to see he's still doing his thing.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    here's a pic of me all excited at Mississippi Records for the first time. Awesome store, wish they took credit cards though. I would have spent a whole lot more. I still did pretty good.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Whomever said Portland is like an adult playground is absolutley correct. Great restaurants, great sights, great everything. Spent a long weekend with my lady who lived there 10 years and took me all around her old favorite places. Can't wait to go back.