R.I.P. Rich Cason (Dyke & The Blazers)

unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I had the pleasure of meeting Rich this past year during an interview for a documentary I'm working on. Rich was warm and kind and shared many memories and stories of his years in the music business. The brother truely has a deep history going all the way back to his time in Dyke & The Blazers ("Funky Broadway" anyone?) to his 80's electro funk jams (it's a KILLER GROOVE BABY!) and beyond. These few lines do not begin to capture his output (http://www.richardcason.com/bio.htm). He will truely be missed. PROLIFIC SONG-WRITER CHARLES ???RICH??? CASON DIESJackson, MS. March 21, 2007-Prolific song-writer and highly esteemed record producer, Charles ???Rich??? Cason, lost his long battle with cancer late yesterday afternoon in Los Angeles, CA. Services will be held at 11:00 a.m. Monday, March 26, at Triangular Church of Religious Science, 1938 S. Western Avenue, in Los Angeles, CA, 90018. For directions, contact the church at: 323-731-1194. Wednesday, March 28, Interment services will be held in Phoenix, AZ.R.I.P Rich Cason-drew

Comments

• Rest in peace.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Rest in peace.

Same. I love listening to D&tB. A long battle with cancer is no way to go out . RIP

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    I had the pleasure of meeting Rich this past year during an interview for a documentary I'm working on.

unless its supposed to be quiet, what are you working on? ive been half-assed working on a bay area soul documentary and am just curious as to what youre doing.

and a huge RIP for cason. i have a bunch of stuff he did and have always liked dudes work. very sad...

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts

unless its supposed to be quiet, what are you working on? ive been half-assed working on a bay area soul documentary and am just curious as to what youre doing.

and a huge RIP for cason. i have a bunch of stuff he did and have always liked dudes work. very sad...

A buddy and I are working on an L.A. hip-hop documentary pre-NWA. We interviewed Rich about his production work on early L.A. hip-hop labels like Saturn, Freak Beat, Rapper's Rapp, and his own label Write On.

My favorite jams of his would have to be Formula V's "Killer Groove" and Captain Rapp's "Bad Times (I Can't Stand It)" with Kimberley Hall. Then of course there's "Radioactivity Rapp."

Rich was still producing a variety of music from soul to gospel and even still doing some hip hop when we interviewed him. I'll be attending the services tomorrow.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    James Brown gets all the credit, but really, Dyke & The Blazers were the first ones to put Funk in a title I believe "Funky Broadway" and were doing the same thing at the same time to just as good results.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    When Dyke & the Blazers' 1968 appearance on American Bandstand makes it to Youtube, I will be one happy man. R.I.P..

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts

A buddy and I are working on an L.A. hip-hop documentary pre-NWA. We interviewed Rich about his production work on early L.A. hip-hop labels like Saturn, Freak Beat, Rapper's Rapp, and his own label Write On.

My favorite jams of his would have to be Formula V's "Killer Groove" and Captain Rapp's "Bad Times (I Can't Stand It)" with Kimberley Hall. Then of course there's "Radioactivity Rapp."

Rich was still producing a variety of music from soul to gospel and even still doing some hip hop when we interviewed him. I'll be attending the services tomorrow.

A BIG RIP FOR ONE RICH CASON!! I agree, my favorites are also Killer Groove and Badd Times. I always pick up a record if it's got his name on it, good or bad...

What's up with this documentary? Is it still in progress? It's definitely something I would like to see. Who else did you interview?

RIP RICH CASON

• wow

Rest In Peace

dude was an OG....Dyke, all that 70's/early 80's Formula V stuff (some good sweet stuff in their catalogue as well), Killer Groove and all the west coast joints of the 80's. Dude made some of the grittiest, funkiest electro jams EVER, didn't he do the Jimmy Lewis heater too?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    rip my man.