BIZARRE FOODS (grub related)

KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
This Andrew Zimmern dude is either the bravest or dumbest guy on TV. Dude eats everything and I mean everything[/b]. Latest episode on the Travel Channel had him running around Morocco and Spain eating klia (moroccan mystery meat -- basically rotten flesh) and bull's testicles. I mean, broiled lamb's head is one thing, but eating the lamb's eyeball?? Live Filipino worms eaten right from the tree they feed on?? Damn... http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bizarre-foods/photos/bizarre-photos.htmlSo what's the strangest food strutters have consumed? Aside from run of the mill stuff like alligator and shark's fin soup my bizarre foods intake has been thankfully minimal....

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    There's something wrong with that guy. Maybe not really, but it seems like it. He eats mouthfulls of insects on the commercials for his show.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Dude pussied out on eating adult sized portions of Mangrove worm.

I call bullshit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's the difference between worms and cow muscles? He's just trying to expose cuisines that dont usually get shine. He's the only one doin' it. Everyone else is still cookin shrimp and shit.

He's just trying to expose cuisines that dont usually get shine.

And, in my opinion of course, for good reason. Interesting enough for a show though, I've actually been waiting to catch it.

Oh, and they do mess with the strange cuisines from time to time on Fear Factor.

• I love this show. The last one I saw was his trip to Ecuador, where he ate cuy (guinea pig). I had that when I was in Peru, but I think he enjoyed his way more than I enjoyed mine.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    PAGING ASER

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Anyone can snack on cow balls. But can they do it without washing it down with Orange Crush?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    cuy (guinea pig)

What it taste like, other than not good? Any comparison? I wanna get to Peru sometime soon and was wondering about this one.

Anyone can snack on cow balls. But can they do it without washing it down with Orange Crush?

This is a popular dish with these weird mountain people in Colorado. Rocky Mountain Oysters aka "Swinging Sirloin" aka deep fried bull balls. I have never tried them and don't plan to. I'm happy with the tenderloin.

• cuy is delicious. it is not dissimilar to well-prepared suckling pig. sweet.

adventure-eating is some bullshit though. embracing a culture and its cuisine, in all the forms it may take, is very satisfying to one's curiosity. eating worms because you think it's "bizarre" and are trying to gross people out on television is fucking offensive.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Paging Fejmelba...

dude knows food.

• cuy is delicious. it is not dissimilar to well-prepared suckling pig. sweet.

Not exactly...mine tasted like very dark meat chicken that had been twice-fried. And it was a little earthy.

But if you want good Peruvian food, it's very easy to find: lomo saltado, ceviche peruana, and so much more.

• haha well i guess it depends on your cuy sorcerers

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    perhaps not the brightest idea but I had chicken sashimi at a yakitori joint in shanghai. Considering China is the home of h5n1.........It actually tastes like fish sashimi to be honest, very clean on the palette.

There is a huge Japanese population in Shanghai btw (entry port for businesses), so the Japanese restaurant scene is on point.

I ate a smorgesboard of intestines in HK though, but that's a daily operation. It's called au chap in canto, they literally throw every bit of cow guts in there. Tripe, liver, heart, pancreas, intestinal tube, etc.

lately, I've had a hankering for feijoada. That realness w/ knuckles, hooves, ears, etc...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anyone see the Bourdain when he was Namibia? He was hanging with some bushmen and ate some boar rectum, you actually saw one of the bushmen squeeze out some turds from it before throwing it on the hot ash used to cook it....

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    anyone see the Bourdain when he was Namibia? He was hanging with some bushmen and ate some boar rectum, you actually saw one of the bushmen squeeze out some turds from it before throwing it on the hot ash used to cook it....

ha, I bet he described it as "gamey"

ha, I bet he described it as "gamey"

he said it was the worst thing he had ever eaten in all his life...he actually looked like he threw up in his mouth a couple times.

he actually looked like he threw up in his mouth a couple times.

which probably made the wild hog asshole taste better, no?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I've tried a few adventurous things down here in Africa...
    Most delicious was the Grasscutter or Cane Rat.
    A large rodent that delivers the very popular bush meat.
    Bush meat can also be Antilope or some sort of miniature deer.
    The mini deer is real nice, too. I've never tried Antilope.
    Grasscutter is my favorite though and I always buy it, when I see someone
    selling it on the side of the road. It doesn't taste gamey at all, more like
    veal perhaps. It has a half inch layer of fat under the skin that melts in your mouth... doesn't taste greasy at all... I love it!
    Sometimes you can buy it in very large chunks with the tail still attached and that looks a bit strange I guess...

this is a vrey small specimen, I've only seen ones at least twice this size

Beware, sometimes, bushmeat can also translate to chimp or monkey, naturaly, I'd never eat one of those...

Roasted large termites are another staple that migh irritate those who never tried it.
    In fact it's very delicious, only the many legs that get cought up between your teeth are a bit of a turndown but you get used to it.

I like this a lot. They are very filling and not dry at all. The shell is crunchy but underneath lies a creamy filling with an almost buttery finish.
    I know, this sound disgusting but it really is delicious and a very valuable source for protein.

Why do these image links not work???
    Well, just paste them if you're curious...

Most disgusting stuff that I've ever tried and never wish near me again is Natto... damn that stuff can give me the creeps just thinking about it. I made a thread about this a few years back right after the experience when I had thought I was served spoiled food... turned out this stuff is supposed to be spoiled...

• Beware, sometimes, bushmeat can also translate to chimp or monkey, naturaly, I'd never eat one of those...

yeah, that happened to me. ate some chimp in guinea. also ate dog unknowingly in indonesia.

been a vegetarian for the past 6 years. don't say soft. cleaning up my karma.

I was having reoccuring dreams about walking in a field of bloody steak. gave up meat and no more dreams.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Beware, sometimes, bushmeat can also translate to chimp or monkey, naturaly, I'd never eat one of those...

yeah, that happened to me. ate some chimp in guinea. also ate dog unknowingly in indonesia.

been a vegetarian for the past 6 years. don't say soft. cleaning up my karma.

I was having reoccuring dreams about walking in a field of bloody steak. gave up meat and no more dreams.

Two friends of mine were offered chimp hands... horrible.

I don't even want to think about eating dog.

But a dream about a field of bloody steak would most probably have me wake up hungry with my head on a saliva soaked pillow...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

yeah, that happened to me. ate some chimp in guinea.

okay... curiosity did win again... how did it taste?

• dark. honestly, I been eating veggie burgers and mushroom protein chicken for so long now, I wouldn't be apt to describe it.

and the dog was nearly uncooked, came in a little ziplock baggie covered in local marinade.

it was all about the situations, who I was with, and trying to be polite/down. but by far the worst food I've ever eaten in my life was streetside foofoo. fuck that. it's like a flemwad of meat juices.

• jelly fish tentacles.

tasted like salty vinnegary gummy worm spaghetti.

the only weird things I have eaten are rotten shark(goddawful), whale steak(which was quite tasty) and musk ox(which was a little tough)

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    ...chimp, bat, bush rat, snake, sea slug, termite, grasshopper, earthworms, blackbird, songthrush, crocodile, toucan, dog, peacock, whale, puffin... and there must be a couple of other people on here who like a bit of haggis.

I don't think any culture eats cats.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Paging Fejmelba...

dude knows food.

outstanding calf brains on toast. with a poached quail egg off course.
    f*ck brits beans on toast.

lamb testikels are a feast for the eye ( n feestje in je mond en iedereen mag komen) and a pleasure in the mouth.

cows stomach aka (thrife ?) pens. if dogs eat it why dont we ? leave this white sponge like meat in lemon juice overnight to bleech cook in court bouillon until tender and serve with tomato sauce. ( lotta chinese throw this in your fu yong hai ).

we all know the cheeck of the trout is the best part. suck out the eyes and head and never go back.

dont forget the lovely boudin noir aka black pudding or bloedworst.pan-frie slices of this cooked blood sausage till its warmed tru and throw in some chuncks of appel ( granny smiths ) a shot of the best belgium tripple ya can get your hands on and a sprig of lemon-thyme.

the thymus:
    soak in brine while listening to organ donor by lefties soul connection about 3 times. rinse well and dry careful. season and dust with flour. pan frie slowly both sides till golden brown stick in oven at 220 dgr. C. for 8min.
    leave to rest for 2 min and serve with a porcini rissoto and a sauce of calvados.

[graemlin] bon appetite [/graemlin]

• keepin it ...

I saw this show where this dude had bull penis ceviche.

(no homo)

• scurlscurl 75 Posts
    dont forget the lovely boudin noir aka black pudding or bloedworst.pan-frie slices of this cooked blood sausage till its warmed tru and throw in some chuncks of appel ( granny smiths ) a shot of the best belgium tripple ya can get your hands on and a sprig of lemon-thyme.

I've heard of the Euro style of this dish but have only had the West Indian version which we would eat on french bread.

Delicious.

I recently had some ox-tail prepared in the Euro fashion(in a tomato sauce over noodles, as opposed to like stew meat over rice) and it made me wanna puke. Nothing like my grandma used to make. A huge let down.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i've eaten live squid/ocotopus before but not like this dude...

its tasty.